    possible, when connected to a WiFi point. So, does anybody have any
    experience with PDAs and SIP software? I understand X-lite make one,
    but im not sure if it works properly.
    Scope, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Scope

    Scope Guest

    I would also be interested in how the speaker works.. Can you actually
    use the PDA as a phone, wont the speaker give a echo for the caller? Or
    would you use a headset, etc?
    Scope, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Scope

    Neil Hampton Guest

    Hi,

    We are in the process of developing a SIP phone for a Palm PDAs and
    there is one already available (mobiVoip). Ours should be available in
    the next couple of months.

    You could use a headset to prevent echo, alternatively most software
    should have echo cancellation to prevent echo when the PDA is used as a
    speakerphone.

    Regards,
    Neil Hampton
    Hampton Software Ltd.
    http://www.hamptonsoftware.co.uk

    Neil Hampton, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Scope

    Ron Beluga Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope <> wrote:

    >Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer for it..
    >
    >I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
    >I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.. And with
    >WiFi I would like to be able to make/recieve phonecalls on it aswell if
    >possible, when connected to a WiFi point. So, does anybody have any
    >experience with PDAs and SIP software? I understand X-lite make one,
    >but im not sure if it works properly.

    SJ Phone is a good one

    http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

    Greetings

    Ron
    Ein kluger Mann macht nicht alle Fehler selbst.
    Er gibt auch anderen eine Chance. (Winston Churchill)
    Ron Beluga, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Scope

    alexd Guest

    Neil Hampton wrote:

    > You could use a headset to prevent echo, alternatively most software
    > should have echo cancellation to prevent echo when the PDA is used as a
    > speakerphone.

    Just out of interest, do most [whatever that means] PDAs have enough
    horsepower to do echo cancellation?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    14:32:26 up 2 days, 18:46, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.09
    alexd, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Scope

    linker3000 Guest

    Ron Beluga wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer for it..
    >>
    >> I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
    >> I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.. And with
    >> WiFi I would like to be able to make/recieve phonecalls on it aswell if
    >> possible, when connected to a WiFi point. So, does anybody have any
    >> experience with PDAs and SIP software? I understand X-lite make one,
    >> but im not sure if it works properly.

    > SJ Phone is a good one
    >
    > http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html
    >
    > Greetings
    >
    > Ron
    > Ein kluger Mann macht nicht alle Fehler selbst.
    > Er gibt auch anderen eine Chance. (Winston Churchill)

    Having used both SJ Phone and X-Lite with an iPAQ 4155, I'd say that SJ
    Phone is marginally better in terms of ease of use and X-Lite is better
    in terms of functionality, has slightly better sound quality but is a
    bugger to configure.

    Overall, SIP softphones on a PDA give 'OK' sound quality, but I'd not
    want to use them as my main phone.

    They're both free apps so why not give them both a test run?
    linker3000, Jul 8, 2006
  7. Scope

    Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope <> wrote:

    >I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
    >I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.

    If that's all you are buying it for, don't.

    A standalone unit that's purpose-designed is a better bet, as long as
    you don't buy the cheapest on the market.
    , Jul 8, 2006
  8. Scope

    Neil Hampton Guest

    Yes. Simple echo cancellation takes no where near the power required
    for the voice compression and this works without any problems on a
    modern PDA.

    Many PDAs have processors that are faster than desktop PCs of not so
    many years ago! PDA speed is often more limited by factors other than
    the processor horsepower (e.g. flash memory, battery preservation etc.).

    Neil Hampton, Jul 9, 2006
  9. Scope

    Scope Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope <> wrote:
    >> I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
    >> I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.

    > If that's all you are buying it for, don't.
    >
    > A standalone unit that's purpose-designed is a better bet, as long as
    > you don't buy the cheapest on the market.

    I need a PDA for organising numbers/addresses/birthdays, etc aswell, so
    instead of getting a simple PDA to replace my broken Palm top I'll get
    something I can use for both.. The WiFi/VoIP is just an added bonus
    which allows me to use the unit for even more.
    Scope, Jul 9, 2006
  10. Scope

    Guest

    On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 07:14:29 +0100, Scope <> wrote:

    >I need a PDA for organising numbers/addresses/birthdays, etc aswell, so
    >instead of getting a simple PDA to replace my broken Palm top I'll get
    >something I can use for both.. The WiFi/VoIP is just an added bonus
    >which allows me to use the unit for even more.

    Fair enough.

    There is very little VOIP software for WM5, just a beta of SJPhone,
    AFAIK. Unless you get WM5 in the PDA, you'll probably lose all your
    numbers/addresses/birthdays when the battery runs down, so I'd suggest
    that WM5 is required.
    , Jul 9, 2006
  11. Scope

    Lee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 07:14:29 +0100, Scope <> wrote:
    >
    >>I need a PDA for organising numbers/addresses/birthdays, etc aswell, so
    >>instead of getting a simple PDA to replace my broken Palm top I'll get
    >>something I can use for both.. The WiFi/VoIP is just an added bonus
    >>which allows me to use the unit for even more.

    > Fair enough.
    >
    > There is very little VOIP software for WM5, just a beta of SJPhone,
    > AFAIK. Unless you get WM5 in the PDA, you'll probably lose all your
    > numbers/addresses/birthdays when the battery runs down, so I'd suggest
    > that WM5 is required.

    I have an XDA Exec running Windows Mobile 5.

    Neither X-Lite nor [WM5 beta] SJphone would even start for me. There are a
    couple of other SIP clients but they are targetted at the ISP/Corporate
    appliance markets. I await a working SIP client with great anticipation.

    Lee, Jul 11, 2006
  12. Scope

    Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:41:30 +0100, "Lee" <> wrote:

    >I have an XDA Exec running Windows Mobile 5.
    >
    >Neither X-Lite nor [WM5 beta] SJphone would even start for me.

    The WM5 SJPhone is fine for me on an HX4700, but for the fact that the
    link to answer an incoming call refuses to work. Instead, I mapped a
    hardware button to answer, and it is just fine.
    , Jul 11, 2006