    need to use it?

    Is there such a thing?

    Sidk
    Sidknee, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sidknee" <> wrote in
    message news:YaYkf.9811$
    > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer /
    > broadband connection that is capable of being used for
    > Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
    > functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
    > when I need to use it?
    > Is there such a thing?
    >
    > Sidk

    Unlikely, Skype uses its own proprietary (and definitely non-SIP)
    protocol.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Sidknee wrote:

    > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
    > connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP).
    > I would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
    > when I need to use it?
    >
    > Is there such a thing?
    >
    > Sidk

    Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that converges SIP and
    Skype. The very mention of such a unit would be enough to boil the blood
    of either camp!

    Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could two seperate unit's
    be an option?

    I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do one for Skype and I
    would probably go with the Grandstream for SIP.

    Andrew
    Andrew - G0RVM, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Andrew - G0RVM" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
    > converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
    > would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!
    >
    > Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
    > two seperate unit's be an option?
    >
    > I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
    > one for Skype and I would probably go with the
    > Grandstream for SIP.

    An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
    USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
    allows Skype without a PC being on.

    Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
    build quality and far more configurable.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Andrew - G0RVM" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
    >> converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
    >> would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!
    >>
    >> Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
    >> two seperate unit's be an option?
    >>
    >> I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
    >> one for Skype and I would probably go with the
    >> Grandstream for SIP.

    > An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
    > USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
    > allows Skype without a PC being on.
    >
    > Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
    > build quality and far more configurable.
    >
    > Ivor

    Mmm, I thought it a little odd too. But if you pay/subscribe to Skype
    in/out - why not?

    I got the reference from the December 2nd edition of VON Focus. In the
    Press Releases section an entry says:

    12/01/05 - VOCAL INTRODUCES SKYPE-COMPATIBLE ATA

    I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com) and although there is
    reference to their ATA technology, there is no mention of Skype.

    Andrew
    Andrew (G0RVM), Dec 5, 2005
  6. Sidknee

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
    <> wrote:

    >Ivor Jones wrote:
    >

    >> "Andrew - G0RVM" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Interesting. I have not heard of a single unit that
    >>> converges SIP and Skype. The very mention of such a unit
    >>> would be enough to boil the blood of either camp!
    >>>
    >>> Are you looking specifically for a single unit or could
    >>> two seperate unit's be an option?
    >>>
    >>> I was thinking about two ATA's perhaps? I hear VOCAL do
    >>> one for Skype and I would probably go with the
    >>> Grandstream for SIP.

    >> An ATA for Skype..? Are you sure..? Is it not a device that plugs into a
    >> USB port on a PC running Skype..? I have never heard of a device that
    >> allows Skype without a PC being on.
    >>
    >> Personally I prefer the Sipura range over the Grandstream units, better
    >> build quality and far more configurable.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    >Mmm, I thought it a little odd too. But if you pay/subscribe to Skype
    >in/out - why not?
    >
    >I got the reference from the December 2nd edition of VON Focus. In the
    >Press Releases section an entry says:
    >
    >12/01/05 - VOCAL INTRODUCES SKYPE-COMPATIBLE ATA
    >
    >I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com) and although there is
    >reference to their ATA technology, there is no mention of Skype.
    >
    >Andrew

    There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones can be
    connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The computer still has to be
    on though.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Sidknee

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-12-05, Sidknee <> wrote:
    > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer / broadband
    > connection that is capable of being used for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I
    > would like SIP functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and when I
    > need to use it?
    >
    > Is there such a thing?

    This may or may not do what you have in mind but it claims to support
    Skype and SIP:

    http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
    > <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > > I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com)
    > > and although there is reference to their ATA
    > > technology, there is no mention of Skype.
    > >
    > > Andrew

    > There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones
    > can be connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The
    > computer still has to be on though.

    Not really the accepted definition of an ATA. An ATA can be plugged
    directly into a router without a PC.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
    > <> wrote:
    > > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
    > > / broadband connection that is capable of being used
    > > for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
    > > functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
    > > when I need to use it?
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing?

    > This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
    > claims to support Skype and SIP:
    >
    > http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm
    >
    > Brian.

    It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Sidknee

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-12-05, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
    >> <> wrote:
    >> > I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
    >> > / broadband connection that is capable of being used
    >> > for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
    >> > functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
    >> > when I need to use it?
    >> >
    >> > Is there such a thing?

    >> This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
    >> claims to support Skype and SIP:
    >>
    >> http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm
    >>
    >> Brian.

    > It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.

    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't spot that the OP was looking
    specifically for an ATA.

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 5, 2005
  11. Sidknee

    Steve Loft Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > Thanks for the clarification. I didn't spot that the OP was looking
    > specifically for an ATA.

    I missed that bit too, my excuse is that my eyesight never has been very
    good. It looked just like he was asking for something to connect to his
    computer and/or broadband connection to me.
    --
    Steve Loft
    Steve Loft, Dec 5, 2005
  12. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Steve Loft" <> wrote in message
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the clarification. I didn't spot that the
    > > OP was looking specifically for an ATA.

    > I missed that bit too, my excuse is that my eyesight
    > never has been very good. It looked just like he was
    > asking for something to connect to his computer and/or
    > broadband connection to me.

    As I read it, he wanted a single device to allow a phone to connect to
    either Skype or a SIP provider. That sounds like an ATA (although probably
    one he'll never see) to me.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Sidknee

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:27:37 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:46:35 GMT, "Andrew (G0RVM)"
    >> <> wrote:

    >[snip]
    >
    >> > I've looked on Vocal's web site (http://www.vocal.com)
    >> > and although there is reference to their ATA
    >> > technology, there is no mention of Skype.
    >> >
    >> > Andrew

    >> There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones
    >> can be connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The
    >> computer still has to be on though.

    >Not really the accepted definition of an ATA. An ATA can be plugged
    >directly into a router without a PC.
    >
    >Ivor

    ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter. Yes it is true that the
    conventional meaning of an ATA refers to a SIP device which operates
    without a computer. However, the term 'Analogue Telephone Adapter'
    would describe the Skype device even though it would not be of the
    conventional type.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Dec 5, 2005
  14. Sidknee

    Martin² Guest

    Brian:
    >This may or may not do what you have in mind but it claims to support
    >Skype and SIP:

    >http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm

    What they DON'T tell you is that in order to use Skype the computer must be
    ON with Skype running.
    Most people don't realise that Skype is just a P2P software.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Dec 6, 2005
  15. Martin² wrote:
    > Brian:
    >
    >>This may or may not do what you have in mind but it claims to support
    >>Skype and SIP:

    >>http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm

    > What they DON'T tell you is that in order to use Skype the computer must be
    > ON with Skype running.

    But surely most people have their computer running all the time anyway ?
    If they have broadband (which I presume they must, for VoIP to make sense),
    then the whole always-on point of broadband is lost if you have to keep
    booting the computer to do something.

    Richard [in PE12]
    Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III, Dec 6, 2005
  16. Sidknee

    Peter Guest

    Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III <> wrote:
    [...]
    > But surely most people have their computer running all the time
    > anyway ?

    My computer, in the colloqual sense of the word, is an Apple laptop. I
    suspend it when it's not directly being used. I also only run Skype on
    it if it'll stop somebody emailing me whinging that they can't call me
    via Skype[0].

    I have other machines that *are* on 24/7, but they don't have
    keyboards, mice or monitors, and so can't possibly be computers
    because there is no Start button on the non-existent screen.

    > If they have broadband (which I presume they must, for VoIP to make
    > sense), then the whole always-on point of broadband is lost if you
    > have to keep booting the computer to do something.

    Some users of broadband just treat it like a modem. In the case of USB
    devices, it even uses Windows DUN to make a PPP connection to the
    provider.

    [0] Usually I then get to hear them whinge with added drop-outs on
    some tatty feedback-laden mic and speakers, so I can't actually
    remember the last time I bothered to run it. I don't know why
    people put up with such poor quality calls.

    --
    PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key
    Peter, Dec 6, 2005
  17. Sidknee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III" <> wrote in
    message

    [snip]

    > But surely most people have their computer running all
    > the time anyway ? If they have broadband (which I presume
    > they must, for VoIP to make sense), then the whole
    > always-on point of broadband is lost if you have to keep
    > booting the computer to do something.

    Not necessarily. I switch off the computers when I leave the house (power
    consumption, fire risk etc.) but that doesn't mean I want my phones to
    stop working.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 6, 2005
  18. Sidknee

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-12-06, Martin² <> wrote:
    > Brian:
    >>This may or may not do what you have in mind but it claims to support
    >>Skype and SIP:

    >>http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm

    > What they DON'T tell you is that in order to use Skype the computer must be
    > ON with Skype running.

    It's clearly stated to be a USB device. Someone expecting to use it
    without switching the computer it is connected to on is in for a
    surprise. Someone not knowing Skype needs to be running on the same
    machine would have neglected reading the FAQ on the webpage.

    > Most people don't realise that Skype is just a P2P software.

    Most people? Really? I didn't realise that.

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 6, 2005
  19. Sidknee

    Doz Guest

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:28:35 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-12-05, Sidknee
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I am looking for a unit that I can link to my computer
    >>> / broadband connection that is capable of being used
    >>> for Skype as well as FWD (SIP). I would like SIP
    >>> functionality in an always on manner and Skype as and
    >>> when I need to use it?
    >>>
    >>> Is there such a thing?

    >> This may or may not do what you have in mind but it
    >> claims to support Skype and SIP:
    >>
    >> http://worldcall.brinkster.net/pcphoneline/skype/vta1000.htm
    >>
    >> Brian.

    > It's not a true ATA though, as it's a USB device that requires a PC.
    >
    > Ivor

    Vocal's new line of analog telephone adapters (ATAs) that will support Skype
    Internet phone service, extending Skype service to any conventional or cordless
    phone. Although this is a Skype-compatible ATA, the ATA still relies on the host
    PC to run Skype. So this is not a "standalone" Skype ATA device (Skype client
    embedded into the ATA) which many Skype users have been clamoring for.
    Doz, Dec 6, 2005
  20. Sidknee

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-12-05, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> There is a USB device to which standard analogue phones
    >> can be connected. Thus it is an ATA for Skype. The
    >> computer still has to be on though.

    > Not really the accepted definition of an ATA. An ATA can be plugged
    > directly into a router without a PC.

    For a different view of what to expect of an ATA there is:

    http://www.whatis.com

    The entry for analog telephone adaptor is on page 3 after selecting 'A'
    from the alphabetical browsing list.

    Brian.
    Brian, Dec 6, 2005