    country-dependent.

    From USA-ian perspective, is there any chance of duplication the
    abovementioned functionality with a SIP provider?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 10, 2011

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message news:...
    > For my Skype setup, I have Skype spoofing our land line number.
    >
    > That way, when we call somebody who filters incoming calls based
    > on the number of the calling phone their equipment sees the same
    > phone number it always has and we don't have to do anything more.
    >
    > I'm guessing this is service-dependent and maybe even
    > country-dependent.
    >
    > From USA-ian perspective, is there any chance of duplication the
    > abovementioned functionality with a SIP provider?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    In the other thread Theo mentioned a provider called Betamax
    They offer umpteen similar but slightly different packages and your
    choice will be dictated largely by the mix of international calls you make.
    I have used this company for all my outgoing calls for several years, the
    "clone" I currently use is called smartvoip.com.
    The two websites below will help you identify the one that you might use.
    http://backsla.sh/betamax
    http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html

    Beware of those that charge a connection fee, that isn't reflected in the charts.

    Now, to answer your question. All the Betamax clones I have used allow you
    to present any number you like. You have to use their dedicated softphone application
    to do this there is a confirmation button that initiates an automatic call to the number
    you choose as a CLI. When you answer the call you hear a 4 digit code which you
    have to type into the softphone. This proves you own the number, or at least have access
    to it. So there is no problem presenting your cellphone, landline, or a VoIP number
    you might have signed up for with another provider.

    Other providers might allow you to present the number of your choice too, but
    I understand they sometimes require documentary evidence you own the number
    like having to send them a paper bill.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 10, 2011

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    Bill Taylor Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:47:49 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >"(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> For my Skype setup, I have Skype spoofing our land line number.
    >>
    >> That way, when we call somebody who filters incoming calls based
    >> on the number of the calling phone their equipment sees the same
    >> phone number it always has and we don't have to do anything more.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing this is service-dependent and maybe even
    >> country-dependent.
    >>
    >> From USA-ian perspective, is there any chance of duplication the
    >> abovementioned functionality with a SIP provider?
    >> --
    >> PeteCresswell

    >In the other thread Theo mentioned a provider called Betamax
    >They offer umpteen similar but slightly different packages and your
    >choice will be dictated largely by the mix of international calls you make.
    >I have used this company for all my outgoing calls for several years, the
    >"clone" I currently use is called smartvoip.com.
    >The two websites below will help you identify the one that you might use.
    >http://backsla.sh/betamax
    >http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html
    >
    >Beware of those that charge a connection fee, that isn't reflected in the charts.
    >
    >Now, to answer your question. All the Betamax clones I have used allow you
    >to present any number you like. You have to use their dedicated softphone application
    >to do this there is a confirmation button that initiates an automatic call to the number
    >you choose as a CLI. When you answer the call you hear a 4 digit code which you
    >have to type into the softphone. This proves you own the number, or at least have access
    >to it. So there is no problem presenting your cellphone, landline, or a VoIP number
    >you might have signed up for with another provider.

    Unfortunately it is not reliable. Sometimes it presents the number
    that you've assigned, generally it shows as International on a BT
    line. (Using SMSListo.)
    Bill Taylor, Feb 10, 2011
  4. Per Graham.:
    > All the Betamax clones I have used allow you
    >to present any number you like. You have to use their dedicated softphone application
    >to do this there is a confirmation button that initiates an automatic call to the number
    >you choose as a CLI. When you answer the call you hear a 4 digit code which you
    >have to type into the softphone. This proves you own the number, or at least have access
    >to it. So there is no problem presenting your cellphone, landline, or a VoIP number
    >you might have signed up for with another provider.

    That's a one-time setup procedure, right?

    Thanks for the links to your providers.

    I think I'll pull the trigger on the Cisco SPA3102 today.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 10, 2011
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Graham. Guest

    "Bill Taylor" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:47:49 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >

    >>"(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> For my Skype setup, I have Skype spoofing our land line number.
    >>>
    >>> That way, when we call somebody who filters incoming calls based
    >>> on the number of the calling phone their equipment sees the same
    >>> phone number it always has and we don't have to do anything more.
    >>>
    >>> I'm guessing this is service-dependent and maybe even
    >>> country-dependent.
    >>>
    >>> From USA-ian perspective, is there any chance of duplication the
    >>> abovementioned functionality with a SIP provider?
    >>> --
    >>> PeteCresswell

    >>In the other thread Theo mentioned a provider called Betamax
    >>They offer umpteen similar but slightly different packages and your
    >>choice will be dictated largely by the mix of international calls you make.
    >>I have used this company for all my outgoing calls for several years, the
    >>"clone" I currently use is called smartvoip.com.
    >>The two websites below will help you identify the one that you might use.
    >>http://backsla.sh/betamax
    >>http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html
    >>
    >>Beware of those that charge a connection fee, that isn't reflected in the charts.
    >>
    >>Now, to answer your question. All the Betamax clones I have used allow you
    >>to present any number you like. You have to use their dedicated softphone application
    >>to do this there is a confirmation button that initiates an automatic call to the number
    >>you choose as a CLI. When you answer the call you hear a 4 digit code which you
    >>have to type into the softphone. This proves you own the number, or at least have access
    >>to it. So there is no problem presenting your cellphone, landline, or a VoIP number
    >>you might have signed up for with another provider.
    >>

    > Unfortunately it is not reliable. Sometimes it presents the number
    > that you've assigned, generally it shows as International on a BT
    > line. (Using SMSListo.)

    I've not had that problem with voipcheap.co.uk, voipcheap.com, smslisto.com, or smartvoip.com
    If I try to present a non-uk number however, BT will usually flag it as "unavailable"
    (no surprise there) but the mobile networks generally accept it.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 10, 2011
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Doc Rumack Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:07:51 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >That's a one-time setup procedure, right?

    It is one time. Once you have verified that you own the number it is
    permanently available in a list and you can remove the SmartVoip (or
    other Betamax) software client from your computer.

    I have never had a problem presenting my chosen CLI when using either
    SmartVoip or SMSListo.

    --
    Please reply only to newsgroup.
    Posts from Googlegroups & *banter forums are killfiled.
    Doc Rumack, Feb 12, 2011
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 10/02/2011 00:27, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > For my Skype setup, I have Skype spoofing our land line number.
    >
    > That way, when we call somebody who filters incoming calls based
    > on the number of the calling phone their equipment sees the same
    > phone number it always has and we don't have to do anything more.
    >
    > I'm guessing this is service-dependent and maybe even
    > country-dependent.
    >
    > From USA-ian perspective, is there any chance of duplication the
    > abovementioned functionality with a SIP provider?

    I use voip.co.uk - and can present any of several numbers (landline,
    mobile, etc.) once I have proved to them that I own the number.

    I usually present my landline number so that anyone who uses ringback
    comes back to me on the landline (I prefer to use VoIP for just outgoing
    calls).

    Using voip.co.uk's on-line account management system, it is very quick
    to change the presentation number to one of the other pre-authorised
    numbers (but it's not practical to do it on a per-call basis).
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Feb 12, 2011
  8. Per (PeteCresswell):

    >From USA-ian perspective, is there any chance of duplication the
    >abovementioned functionality with a SIP provider?

    FWIW, I signed up with CallCentric.

    Their response to my request to have my home phone number sent as
    CallerID was so fast it made my head spin.

    Also, I find their user "Home Page" tb quite convenient/intuitive
    - especially the ease with which I can add dollars to my account
    balance.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 12, 2011
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Doc Rumack Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:01:23 +0000, Roger Mills <>
    wrote:

    >I use voip.co.uk - and can present any of several numbers (landline,
    >mobile, etc.) once I have proved to them that I own the number.

    Are voip.co.uk starting to accept private customers again? I have two
    active accounts with them but they were created years ago.

    Last I heard was they were only accepting commercial accounts.

    Doc Rumack, Feb 13, 2011
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 13/02/2011 15:22, Doc Rumack wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:01:23 +0000, Roger Mills<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I use voip.co.uk - and can present any of several numbers (landline,
    >> mobile, etc.) once I have proved to them that I own the number.

    > Are voip.co.uk starting to accept private customers again? I have two
    > active accounts with them but they were created years ago.
    >
    > Last I heard was they were only accepting commercial accounts.

    I think that's probably right - I can't see any mention of private
    customers on their website - so it's not an option for anyone who is not
    already with them.

    I mentioned them as an example (the only one where I have any direct
    experience) of a VoIP company which allows you to specify your outgoing
    CallerID - with the expectation that others would be similar.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Feb 13, 2011