    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Dec 9, 2009

  2. On Dec 9, 9:17 am, karthikbalaguru <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I find that,SIP is designed to be independent of the underlying
    > transport layer; it can run on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP),
    > User Datagram Protocol (UDP), or Stream Control Transmission
    > Protocol (SCTP).
    > Then, why is the SIP protocol referred as a  " TCP/IP-based
    > Application Layer protocol " ? Any ideas ?
    >
    > Reference -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

    I think you're getting a bit confused between how a protocol gets
    information from point A to point B and what information the protocol
    gets from point A to point B. While SIP is designed to be independent
    of the underlying transport layer and could theoretically get
    information from point A to point B by some non-TCP/IP mechanism, what
    is the actual information it's getting from point A to point B? Look
    at typical SIP messages and you'll see they convey information *about*
    TCP/IP protocols, addresses, and ports.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Dec 9, 2009

  3. On Dec 9, 11:12 pm, David Schwartz <> wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 9:17 am, karthikbalaguru <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I find that,SIP is designed to be independent of the underlying
    > > transport layer; it can run on Transmission Control Protocol (TCP),
    > > User Datagram Protocol (UDP), or Stream Control Transmission
    > > Protocol (SCTP).
    > > Then, why is the SIP protocol referred as a  " TCP/IP-based
    > > Application Layer protocol " ? Any ideas ?

    > > Reference -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

    > I think you're getting a bit confused between how a protocol gets
    > information from point A to point B and what information the protocol
    > gets from point A to point B. While SIP is designed to be independent
    > of the underlying transport layer and could theoretically get
    > information from point A to point B by some non-TCP/IP mechanism, what
    > is the actual information it's getting from point A to point B? Look
    > at typical SIP messages and you'll see they convey information *about*
    > TCP/IP protocols, addresses, and ports.

    Thx for the response.
    I have another query related with SIP while using Audio or Video
    stream.

    The voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are
    carried
    over another application protocol, the Real-time Transport Protocol
    (RTP).
    Parameters (port numbers, protocols, codecs) for these media streams
    are
    defined and negotiated using the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
    which
    is transported in the SIP packet body. And these parameters are used
    determine the type of media(Audio/Video) and put in the corresponding
    queue/buffer in the user terminal rather than parsing the entire
    packet to
    determine the presence or absence of audio / video.

    Is the above understanding correct ? Correct me if i am wrong.

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Dec 10, 2009
  4. In comp.dcom.voice-over-ip karthikbalaguru <> wrote:

    > Thx for the response.
    > I have another query related with SIP while using Audio or Video
    > stream.
    >
    > The voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are
    > carried
    > over another application protocol, the Real-time Transport Protocol
    > (RTP).
    > Parameters (port numbers, protocols, codecs) for these media streams
    > are
    > defined and negotiated using the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
    > which
    > is transported in the SIP packet body. And these parameters are used
    > determine the type of media(Audio/Video) and put in the corresponding
    > queue/buffer in the user terminal rather than parsing the entire
    > packet to
    > determine the presence or absence of audio / video.
    >
    > Is the above understanding correct ? Correct me if i am wrong.

    You aren't asking these questions because you are looking for answers; you
    already know what the answers are. What is the *real* reason that you are
    asking these questions?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Dec 27, 2009
  5. On Dec 27, 11:54 am, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    > In comp.dcom.voice-over-ip karthikbalaguru <> wrote:
    >

    > > Thx for the response.
    > > I have another query related with SIP while using Audio or Video
    > > stream.

    > > The voice and video stream communications in SIP applications are
    > > carried
    > > over another application protocol, the Real-time Transport Protocol
    > > (RTP).
    > > Parameters (port numbers, protocols, codecs) for these media streams
    > > are
    > > defined and negotiated using the Session Description Protocol (SDP)
    > > which
    > > is transported in the SIP packet body. And these parameters are used
    > > determine the type of media(Audio/Video) and put in the corresponding
    > > queue/buffer in the user terminal rather than parsing the entire
    > > packet to
    > > determine the presence or absence of audio / video.

    > > Is the above understanding correct ? Correct me if i am wrong.

    > You aren't asking these questions because you are looking for answers; you
    > already know what the answers are.  What is the *real* reason that you are
    > asking these questions?

    I wanted to confirm my understanding so that the design can
    be visualized.

    Thx,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Dec 27, 2009