    Anyone have a clue?

    I shall do some more research on the matter!

    Mark

    Mark Adamson, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Mark Adamson

    Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:19:41 +0100, "Mark Adamson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, I have recently learnt that 3G phones use SIP over IPv6 for voice and
    >video calls.
    >
    >Given that I have a proper IPv6 address (from sixxs) on my computer and
    >obviously I have SIP, it would be nice to think that I could call 3G mobiles
    >from my computer for free. I am guessing, however, that this is not the
    >case, as other telecoms services probably have to pay lots to connect to the
    >rival 3G networks.
    >
    >Anyone have a clue?
    >
    >I shall do some more research on the matter!

    Valiants post. http://tinyurl.com/arnvr is interesting on this IMO.
    pete

    , Sep 23, 2005

  3. Mark Adamson

    Mark Adamson Guest

    >>Given that I have a proper IPv6 address (from sixxs) on my computer and
    >>obviously I have SIP, it would be nice to think that I could call 3G
    >>mobiles
    >>from my computer for free. I am guessing, however, that this is not the
    >>case, as other telecoms services probably have to pay lots to connect to
    >>the
    >>rival 3G networks.
    >>
    >>Anyone have a clue?
    >>
    >>I shall do some more research on the matter!

    > Valiants post. http://tinyurl.com/arnvr is interesting on this IMO.
    > pete

    Thats not quite what I was getting at. I am aware that using the data 'mode'
    of the 3g phones, you can use standard SIP services (presumable with a J2ME
    app or something).

    I am more interested in the fact that the normal calls made on the 3g
    network utilise SIP, and so was wondering whether there was a vague chance
    that this could be utilised to enable free calls to 3g phones, though i
    doubt this very much.

    Mark Adamson, Sep 23, 2005
  4. In article <dh159e$59k$>,
    Mark Adamson <> wrote:
    >I am more interested in the fact that the normal calls made on the 3g
    >network utilise SIP, and so was wondering whether there was a vague chance
    >that this could be utilised to enable free calls to 3g phones, though i
    >doubt this very much.

    Despite the standards being in place, as far as I know, all of the UK's 3G
    networks currently handle voice and video calls as circuit-switched. So no
    SIP - yet.

    Dave
    --
    Email: MSN Messenger: