SIP newbie question.

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Pete Calvert, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Pete Calvert

    Pete Calvert Guest

    All,

    I have two Cisco 7960 IP phones configured to use SIP. The are connected
    to different SIP proxies. I would like to be able to make calls between
    them. If I give the full URI of the other phone then I can make the call,
    but I want just be able to give the number and let the SIP proxy translate
    that to the other other number. How can I do that as everytime I try to
    just provide the number the phone appends the current domain to the number
    and so the proxy can't locate the phone. I am using partysip as the proxy
    for both phones.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    Pete

    Pete Calvert, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Pete Calvert

    Steve Blair Guest

    Pete:

    I haven't used PartySIP so I can only give you generic
    instructions. In some proxy servers you can define logic
    to 1) look at a specific portion of the URI, such as the
    userid or 2) re-write a URI to add or remove information
    so as to make forwarding decisions. In my SER proxy I
    ignore the domain name when the userid matches specific
    dialing prefixes. For example if URI = 9+<10 digits>@mydomain
    then ignore the domain name because I will re-write it to
    be the address of a specific PSTN gateway later. Perhaps
    something like this is available in the PartySIP server.

    -Steve

    Steve Blair, Feb 9, 2004