SIP image/config util for an ATA186?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by stu, May 21, 2004.

  1. stu

    stu Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm geting that all too familiar feeling of being mugged by a high tech,
    albeit impulse buy. If someone can help me, please do - otherwise this is
    advice for anyone given the opportunity to buy a Cisco ATA 186 voip
    adapter - don't :)
    Having bought one of these things on ebay, I've discovered it has only a
    bootload firmware installed. It has no signalling functionality out of the
    box. Moreover, this is unobtainable unless you have a Cisco CCO login beyond
    guest or registered user privileges. Without the signalling firmware, this
    device is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. That is, unless you
    want to buy a firmware from a voip provider as part of a voip to pstn
    subsription. I for one, would like to use it with my own SIP gateway but
    unless someone out there can help me with an image and the upgrade util,
    i've been screwed. I feel a bit frustrated as this is a brand new Cisco
    device, with
    a warranty card and install guides, but i can't get the software to use it!
    Can Cisco help, and
    is it worth asking them about it?

    Cheerio

    Stu

    stu, May 21, 2004

  2. stu

    Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:19:02 +0100, "stu" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm geting that all too familiar feeling of being mugged by a high tech,
    >albeit impulse buy. If someone can help me, please do - otherwise this is
    >advice for anyone given the opportunity to buy a Cisco ATA 186 voip
    >adapter - don't :)
    >Having bought one of these things on ebay, I've discovered it has only a
    >bootload firmware installed. It has no signalling functionality out of the
    >box. Moreover, this is unobtainable unless you have a Cisco CCO login beyond
    >guest or registered user privileges. Without the signalling firmware, this
    >device is nothing more than an expensive paperweight. That is, unless you
    >want to buy a firmware from a voip provider as part of a voip to pstn
    >subsription. I for one, would like to use it with my own SIP gateway but
    >unless someone out there can help me with an image and the upgrade util,
    >i've been screwed. I feel a bit frustrated as this is a brand new Cisco
    >device, with
    >a warranty card and install guides, but i can't get the software to use it!
    >Can Cisco help, and
    >is it worth asking them about it?
    >
    >Cheerio
    >
    >Stu

    I've never heard of the unit being sold without a full firmware image.
    Can you describe this 'bootloader firmware'? If you bought the unit
    from an authorized reseller, then you should have gotten a firmware
    image to use. Also beware that if you bought a unit that was
    previously used with Vonage, they typically lock the unit and you must
    pay them to unlock it.

    -Chris

    , May 22, 2004

  3. stu

    News Account Guest

    ATA=Analog Telephone Adapter

    AFAIK you will need to hookup through a VOIP provider like Vonage with the
    ATA186 - did you think you could use this device to setup your own VOIP
    gateway?

    Don Woodward

    News Account, May 22, 2004
  4. stu

    next_hop Guest

    Hi,
    You might try contacting Cisco to see what they want for a contract, but
    they may get back did you buy from an authorized reseller (they might not
    ask). Have you gone to Cisco. I just did and it seems
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/products_security_advisory09186a0080094ae8.shtml

    This contains a fix to a password problem (wide open). It seems to have a
    SCCP/MGCP image, but since I do not have the device I cannot tell if it will
    help you. I was using a guest id.
    I am sort of looking around for a getting Tac Support (I guess what you
    want) it allows you to roam Cisco and download what you want (more or less),
    but since I only have unsupported older routers it is kinda of a problem.

    next_hop

    next_hop, May 22, 2004