    a PBX at all.

    Anyone done this before or have any ideas ?

    CJ

    Clinton, May 17, 2004

  2. Clinton

    Mark Turner Guest

    Clinton <> wrote:

    >I want to change this all to VOIP and probably want to use a SIP
    >device that will handle all the encoding etc BUT I want to get rid of
    >the PBX and I don't want to use Asterisk, in fact I don't want to use
    >a PBX at all.

    How about using VOIP phones (or ATAs) that can be configured to dial
    a specific number automagically when the handset is lifted. Then rent
    multiple VOIP accounts with your preferred supplier and configure each
    phone to register with your VOIP provider using one of those accounts
    each.

    If your VOIP provider has a gateway to the PSTN then the auto-dial
    number can be any number you like, if not then you will need a VOIP
    account yourself to receive the calls.

    All of this assumes that your kiosks have 'Net access plumbed in.

    You don't mention which country you are in, or more importantly which
    country the destination number is in, so I can't suggest a suitable
    VOIP provider. If in the UK then I'd recommend InterViVo but then I
    would because I work there. :)

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    Mark Turner, May 17, 2004

  3. Clinton

    Steve Blair Guest

    Depending upon what you are doing and what signaling
    you may need to get from the kiosk you might try the
    following.

    Set the device in the kiosk (handset, ata w/analog phone,
    IP phone or soft client) to call 'hunt number'@'gateway address'
    then configure your gateway to only accept connections from the
    kiosks and forward calls out a voice port to the 'pstn'.

    For example if your IP-PSTN gateway is IP address 1.1.1.1 and
    hostname blackhole.myworld.net and the hunt number is
    1-800-123-4567. The the kiosk would call 18001234567@1.1.1.1.

    The sip uas on 1.1.1.1 would have dialpeer statements that
    forward these calls to the appropriate destination telephone
    number.

    We do something like this for IP based calls between network
    closets. Works well for what it does.

    good luck.

    Steve Blair, May 18, 2004
  4. Clinton

    Clinton Guest

    I am in the US but actually something like the closet to closet calls
    is exactly what I am looking for. The kiosks don't need to do a
    break-out to the PSTN, we are simply using the PBX because it is easy
    to use for creating hunt groups, if we can get a router to do that,
    then even better! This is all LAN traffic....

    Clinton, May 19, 2004
  5. Clinton

    Steve Blair Guest

    Give it a try. It should work. The trick will be getting the
    router to do what you want with the incoming call.

    Steve Blair, May 19, 2004