    Thank you,

    Neil
    Salem, MA USA

    Neil-Salem-MA-USA, May 7, 2006

  2. Neil-Salem-MA-USA

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Neil-Salem-MA-USA" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I have hunted the Internet without success. (Perhaps I'm
    > not looking in the right place.) Where can I find an
    > adapter (ATA) that connects to the USB port of my
    > computer. I wish to attach a conventional analog phone
    > to the ATA and attach the ATA to my computer.
    >
    > I do not intend to use this with Skype. I will be using
    > it with any VOIP provider that uses open standards like
    > SIP. I will install an SIP softphone on my computer.

    Is there any reason you can't use a normal ATA on an Ethernet port of a
    router..? USB is not the most reliable means of communication at the best
    of times and I have never understood why anyone would want to run a
    computer to make/receive phone calls.

    There are devices that will do what you want, but I don't recall the names
    of any of them off by heart, but I still don't get why you would want to
    do it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 8, 2006

  3. "Neil-Salem-MA-USA" <> wrote in message
    > I have hunted the Internet without success. (Perhaps I'm not looking
    > in the right place.) Where can I find an adapter (ATA) that connects
    > to the USB port of my computer. I wish to attach a conventional analog
    > phone to the ATA and attach the ATA to my computer.
    >
    > I do not intend to use this with Skype. I will be using it with any
    > VOIP provider that uses open standards like SIP. I will install an SIP
    > softphone on my computer.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Neil
    > Salem, MA USA

    Haven't heard of such a beast outside of Skype but maybe this will help:
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=VOIP Phones

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, May 8, 2006
  4. There's actually a very good reason for my wanting to use a computer, a
    softphone, and the USB port. Phil Zimmerman has just released his
    ZPhone and I wish to use it in combination with an SIP softphone and an
    SIP provider.

    ZPhone runs in the IP stack and establishes a peer to peer encryption
    session with the called party. The encryption is extremely robust, and
    more importantly, the encryption source code is available for public
    review. One can see for himself that there are no back doors in the
    ZPhone software.

    Yes, some VOIP service providers use encryption, including Skype, but
    their implementation of the encryption is kept secret. Others cannot
    review their source code to look for back doors or alternate decryption
    keys.

    Also, with ZPhone, since the end points of the VOIP call are performing
    the encryption, any attempt by agencies of the government to use the
    provider's equipment to spy on citizens' private conversations will
    fail, since the Zphone encryption does not happen in the provider's
    infrastructure.

    Neil
    Salem, MA USA

    Neil-Salem-MA-USA, May 8, 2006
  5. Woops ..."ZPhone" should have been "Zfone". My apologies to Phil
    Zimmerman.

    Neil
    Salem, MA USA

    Neil-Salem-MA-USA, May 8, 2006
  6. If you run a softphone, why don't you just use an inexpensive analog
    headset?

    The USB device, in order to work, should be supported by the specific
    softphone. Here they say that TigerJet-based USB devices can work with
    X-Lite and other SIP softphones through a "TJinit Utility" available for
    download:

    http://www.cuphone.com/skype/thirdparty.htm
    http://www.cuphone.com/software/download/TjInit878.exe

    However, I never tried it.