SIP client setup for callcentric, callwithus, and voicestick

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email), Feb 3, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    Hope this is the right forum, if not please advise.

    I own a ZyXel P-660R-ELNK DSL modem connected to a Netgear WGR615V
    unlocked router. After some fiddling, I managed to make the whole thing
    work with Callcentric a few months ago, and have been quite happy since.
    The original settings that I believe are salient were:

    ZyXel
    =====
    RIP direction: both
    RIP version: RIP-2B
    NAT mode: SUA only
    SIP ALG: enabled
    UPnP: disabled
    Security, filtering etc.: no special measures taken

    Netgear
    =======
    SIP proxy: callcentric.com
    SIP control port: 5060
    SIP local port: 5060
    SIP message TOS Value: 68 hex
    Starting RTP Port: 16384
    RTP Data TOS Value: b8 hex
    Use Outbound SIP proxy: yes
    Outbound SIP proxy address: callcentric.com
    Outbound SIP proxy port: 5060
    VAD: no
    STUN: no
    Register expire time: 30 sec
    Registration head start time: 0 sec
    DNS server: yes
    Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

    It all works fine. Now, yesterday I found out that callwithus.com has
    better rates for my calling patterns, so I signed up. My new settings were:

    ZyXel
    =====
    unchanged

    Netgear
    =======
    As per http://www.callwithus.com/configuration

    The main change from Callcentric was the use of STUN. I tried my account
    a number of times (with rebooting the router and the modem, the works),
    no avail. I wrote CallWithUs' support and they said they receive no
    registration attempts from my account.

    I hypothesized that the use of STUN somehow does not go well with the
    modem. Could that be the case? To confirm that, I also signed up with
    voicestick.com. They don't use STUN. They also are very shy about
    publishing their SIP client configuration. I fished one from this forum,
    which looks like this:

    ZyXel
    =====
    unchanged

    Netgear
    =======
    SIP proxy: 206.165.50.116
    SIP control port: 5060
    SIP local port: 5060
    SIP message TOS Value: 68 hex
    Starting RTP Port: 16384
    RTP Data TOS Value: b8 hex
    Use Outbound SIP proxy: yes
    Outbound SIP proxy address: 206.165.50.116
    Outbound SIP proxy port: 5060
    VAD: no
    STUN: no
    Register expire time: 30 sec
    Registration head start time: 0 sec
    DNS server: yes
    Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220

    However, that didn't work either! So now I'm back to my Callcentric
    setup which again works, and I can't understand how neither of the
    others work. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

    Andrei
    Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email), Feb 3, 2008

  2. On 02/03/2008 05:58 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Netgear
    > =======
    > SIP proxy: 206.165.50.116
    > SIP control port: 5060
    > SIP local port: 5060
    > SIP message TOS Value: 68 hex
    > Starting RTP Port: 16384
    > RTP Data TOS Value: b8 hex
    > Use Outbound SIP proxy: yes
    > Outbound SIP proxy address: 206.165.50.116
    > Outbound SIP proxy port: 5060
    > VAD: no
    > STUN: no
    > Register expire time: 30 sec
    > Registration head start time: 0 sec
    > DNS server: yes
    > Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
    > Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220
    >
    > However, that didn't work either! So now I'm back to my Callcentric
    > setup which again works, and I can't understand how neither of the
    > others work. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

    I think, your best bet is to try both the services which did not work
    with YATE Client (either QT4 or GTK2 version, see http://YATE.null.ro/).
    Run this soft-phone from command prompt or a xterm in a verbose/bebug
    mode and figure out the problem by looking at the messages.

    Hope that helps.
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Balwinder S Dheeman, Feb 3, 2008

  3. Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > I think, your best bet is to try both the services which did not work
    > with YATE Client (either QT4 or GTK2 version, see http://YATE.null.ro/).
    > Run this soft-phone from command prompt or a xterm in a verbose/bebug
    > mode and figure out the problem by looking at the messages.
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Thanks Balwinder, this software looks quite what the doctor prescribed;
    my router has no debugging ability. Incidentally I'm originally Romanian
    :eek:).

    Andrei
    Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email), Feb 3, 2008