    which I am able to choose?

    Any advice?

    Sid
    Sid, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Sid

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:51:10 GMT, "Sid"
    <> wrote:

    >I am looking to purchase a Linksys SPA3000. Which would be the best
    >supplier to go for. I am bascially looking for an out of the box service
    >that can give me cheap uk calls as well as option of UK lanline numbers,
    >which I am able to choose?
    >
    >Any advice?
    >
    >Sid

    If you go for Vonage or Freetalk etc. you will get an ootb solution.
    However, you will be supplied with an ATA locked to their service and
    have to pay through the nose for it (my view anyway).
    Instead you'd be better going for a company like voipfone.co.uk who
    can supply 'Plug and Go' products. If you then want to switch
    operators in future you can just reconfigure the ATA.
    Also check out voip.co.uk, voiptalk.co.uk.
    You are best to get an ATA rather than a phone as you can then connect
    several phones to it - or a cordless set of phones.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Sid

    Sid Guest

    , "Sid"
    wrote:
    > as option of UK lanline numbers,
    >>which I am able to choose?

    Do any of the provider allow to choose a uk number?

    Brian A" wrote
    > You are best to get an ATA rather than a phone as you can then connect
    > several phones to it - or a cordless set of phones.

    If I buy an ATA.. can I not buy the SPA3000 from vonage? and use it for
    others?

    or if you buy your own ATA what about UKcall charges? Waht is the quality
    like? I use FWD at the moment and the quality is ridiculous.

    Sid
    Sid, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Sid

    PhilT Guest

    Sid wrote:

    > Do any of the provider allow to choose a uk number?

    yes, several give geographic incoming numbers. sipgate, voiptalk, voip,
    gradwell etc

    > If I buy an ATA.. can I not buy the SPA3000 from vonage? and use it for
    > others?

    Vonage usually lock hardware to their service. Do they use the SPA3000
    ?

    > or if you buy your own ATA what about UKcall charges? Waht is the quality
    > like? I use FWD at the moment and the quality is ridiculous.

    see websites of mentioned providers for call charges. 1-2p/minute.

    Quality depends on the codec used, bandwidth available etc. It can be
    as good or as bad as you like. FWD based in the USA isn't good for
    delays?

    Phil
    PhilT, Jun 19, 2006
  5. Sid

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Sid" <> wrote in message
    > , "Sid"
    > wrote:
    > > as option of UK lanline numbers,
    > > > which I am able to choose?

    > Do any of the provider allow to choose a uk number?

    Yes, several, but most charge for numbers (but see below).

    > Brian A" wrote
    > > You are best to get an ATA rather than a phone as you
    > > can then connect several phones to it - or a cordless
    > > set of phones.

    > If I buy an ATA.. can I not buy the SPA3000 from vonage?
    > and use it for others?

    If you buy anything from Vonage you are locked to Vonage. Vonage also have
    a distinct disadvantage that they do not peer with any other provider, so
    you don't get free calls to them.

    > or if you buy your own ATA what about UKcall charges?
    > Waht is the quality like? I use FWD at the moment and the
    > quality is ridiculous.

    I know that a certain person will jump in at this point and try and take
    the thread totally off topic, but I'll risk it anyway.

    If you want to try a UK number totally free of charge (using a PC
    softphone, which you can download pre-configured for your account from
    their site) then try www.sipgate.co.uk - you can choose a free (no monthly
    or setup payments) UK number from any area code you like and it will be
    valid for incoming calls from the PSTN or for outgoing calls to other
    Sipgate numbers (and 0800 numbers) free. To make chargeable outgoing calls
    to the PSTN you will need to add credit as you would with a PAYG mobile
    and the charges are reasonable (although not the absolute cheapest). Once
    you decide whether the service is good enough then you can get an ATA, I
    can recommend any of the Sipura range, also if you want an all-in-one
    modem/router/ATA/wireless point then the AVM Fritz!Box 7050 is hard to
    beat, although not cheap..!

    Yes, Sipgate have had their problems in the past, I can't deny it, but of
    late they have been very reliable and the call quality has been excellent
    and indistinguishable from a normal PSTN line.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Jun 19, 2006
  6. Sid

    linker3000 Guest

    Sid wrote:
    > I am looking to purchase a Linksys SPA3000. Which would be the best
    > supplier to go for. I am bascially looking for an out of the box service
    > that can give me cheap uk calls as well as option of UK lanline numbers,
    > which I am able to choose?
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > Sid

    Got my spa from broadbandstuff: