SIP Authentication methods available?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ramon F Herrera, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. I have an AS-5300 used by several SIP phones (mostly through Asterisk)
    to dial from VoIP-land to POTS-land. My current "authentication"
    method is rather draconian, poor and inflexible: I just played with
    the routing tables to make sure that the only phones that can have IP
    connectivity with the voice gateway are those in certain subnets.

    Now, I would like to move up to something that provides better
    granularity. I understand that Radius is an option? There is also an
    md5 digest authentication method which may or may not be supported by
    the Cisco gateway?

    I am guessing that another (very inefficient) solution would be to set
    the 'canreinvite=no' option in Asterisk, thereby forcing it to be in
    the middle of all calls. That would work, right? This solution really
    sucks.

    Can somebody knowledgeable discuss and/or point to some documentation
    on this topic?

    TIA,

    -Ramon F Herrera

    ps: my phones are Linksys/Sipura. Tips on configuring them for
    authenticated calls are most welcome.

    Ramon F Herrera, Feb 7, 2007