SIP/ATA/Adapter and Quality of Service (QoS)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Paul D.Smith, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Any tech-heads out there? Am I correct in assuming that the correct setup
    for a VoIP/Internet ADSL system is the following?

    modem --- VoIP adapter --- router

    This allows the VoIP adapter to perform QoS processing and effectively limit
    Internet traffic to/from the router to ensure that the quality of the VoIP
    call is not affected?

    Presumably the following...

    modem --- router --- VoIP adapter

    ....can be prone to break up if people start heavy surfing and downloads
    whilst you're on the phone.

    And if this is the case, how come nobody sells a combined modem/VoIP/router
    that works like this? The latest Netgear offering is a case in point - it
    doesn't integrate will with the very popular DG384G(T) models.

    Paul DS.

    --
    Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

    Paul D.Smith, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Paul D.Smith

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Paul D.Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Any tech-heads out there? Am I correct in assuming that the correct
    > setup
    > for a VoIP/Internet ADSL system is the following?
    >
    > modem --- VoIP adapter --- router

    Not necessarily, it depends on the ATA. Some are designed to plug into an
    existing router (eg Sipura SPA-2000). Those that connect directly to a
    modem will contain their own router so you should not plug another router
    into them, or the two may conflict. You can plug a normal Ethernet switch
    in though.

    > This allows the VoIP adapter to perform QoS processing and effectively
    > limit
    > Internet traffic to/from the router to ensure that the quality of the
    > VoIP
    > call is not affected?
    >
    > Presumably the following...
    >
    > modem --- router --- VoIP adapter
    >
    > ...can be prone to break up if people start heavy surfing and downloads
    > whilst you're on the phone.

    Yes, this can happen, but only if you're approaching your upload/download
    limits.

    > And if this is the case, how come nobody sells a combined
    > modem/VoIP/router
    > that works like this? The latest Netgear offering is a case in point -
    > it
    > doesn't integrate will with the very popular DG384G(T) models.

    Which Netgear "offering" are you referring to..? The TA612V..?

    There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
    they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
    cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on sale
    in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    <snip>

    ....You can plug a normal Ethernet switch in though.

    Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already though,
    but not a switch.

    > Yes, this can happen, but only if you're approaching your upload/download
    > limits.

    Which is the point. I have a 512kB ADSL connection. VoIP (G.711) requires
    about 80kB and I believe upload speeds are only about 128kB for ADSL
    connections. Plus, if the upstream allows, even a webpage download could
    hit the max value resulting is break-up of the VoIP. By using QoS, the
    network should adapt to restrict the non-VoIP traffic.

    > Which Netgear "offering" are you referring to..? The TA612V..?

    Yes. Hadn't got the model number to hand.

    > There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
    > they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
    > cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on sale
    > in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

    Look forward to seeing them.

    Paul DS

    Paul D.Smith, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Paul D.Smith

    Chloe Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:38:47 +0100, Paul D.Smith
    <> wrote:
    > Which is the point. I have a 512kB ADSL connection. VoIP (G.711) requires
    > about 80kB and I believe upload speeds are only about 128kB for ADSL
    > connections.

    If it's a "supplied over BT" system like msot dsl, then it's upstream is
    256K.

    Chloe

    Chloe, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Paul D.Smith

    > <snip>
    >
    > ...You can plug a normal Ethernet switch in though.
    >
    > Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already
    > though,
    > but not a switch.

    Linksys do 5 and 8 port switches quite cheaply, I have a couple that work
    well.

    >> Yes, this can happen, but only if you're approaching your
    >> upload/download
    >> limits.

    > Which is the point. I have a 512kB ADSL connection. VoIP (G.711)
    > requires
    > about 80kB and I believe upload speeds are only about 128kB for ADSL
    > connections. Plus, if the upstream allows, even a webpage download
    > could
    > hit the max value resulting is break-up of the VoIP. By using QoS, the
    > network should adapt to restrict the non-VoIP traffic.

    Depends who your ISP is. I am on Wanadoo (Freeserve that was) and I was
    initially on a 512 connection but upgraded to 1MB. The uplink has always
    been 256k.

    >> Which Netgear "offering" are you referring to..? The TA612V..?

    > Yes. Hadn't got the model number to hand.

    A couple of friends have them and they seem to work well.

    >> There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
    >> they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
    >> cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on
    >> sale
    >> in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.
    >>

    > Look forward to seeing them.

    Check the Sipgate website shop in a month or so.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Paul D.Smith

    Martin² Guest

    Paul D. Smith:
    > how come nobody sells a combined modem/VoIP/router

    There are quite number available:
    Draytek Vigor 2100V, 2500V, 2600V, 2600VG
    Zyxel 2602HW & Zyxel 2602HWL
    Zoom X5
    The Vigor range is quality kit, well proven, hence not cheap.
    I will be installing the brand new on the market Zyxel 2602HWL on Saturday,
    on paper the best and only £159.04 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk.
    I have no experience with the Zoom X5V, (but X4 was fine)..
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jun 7, 2005
  7. Paul D.Smith

    Al Guest

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:38:47 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

    >Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already though,
    >but not a switch.

    Surely if you have a router/switch then you can effectively disable
    the "router" function and use it as if it were just a switch?

    Al, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Paul D.Smith

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:38:47 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:
    >
    > >Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already

    though,
    > >but not a switch.

    > Surely if you have a router/switch then you can effectively disable
    > the "router" function and use it as if it were just a switch?

    True, providing I have a router that has a "uplink" switch, or
    auto-switches, or have a cross-over cable from router to ATA.

    Paul DS.

    Paul D.Smith, Jun 8, 2005
  9. > > There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
    > > they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
    > > cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on sale
    > > in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

    There are plenty for sale on e-bay
    Do a search for "AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050"
    For a succesful bid you must go up to 170-180?
    New they cost about 249?

    It is a combined DSL modem, router, wireless acces point, Voip adapter and
    ISDN switchbox
    (can be plugged into a analogue *or* ISDN line (not both), has 3 internal
    analoge phone connections and 1 internal ISDN So)

    rgds
    Philippe

    Philippe Deleye, Jun 11, 2005
  10. Paul D.Smith

    Martin² Guest

    Just bought and installed Zyxel 2602HWL, brand NEW on the market.
    Two VoIP ports, different registrars and pass trough to POTS landline too.
    QoS of course.
    WIFI too.
    It's £160 all in from broadbanduyer.co.uk and I recon they have made mistake
    with the price,
    co's it's cheaper then the HW version which hasn't got the landline
    pass-through ;-)
    Early days but seems fine so far.
    Regards,
    Martin