    Peter Downes Guest

    Can anybody recommend a SIP aware ADSL router that will allow VoIP traffic
    to and from the private internal network?

    Peter Downes, Dec 21, 2006

  2. Peter Downes

    Jono Guest

    Peter Downes wrote :
    > Can anybody recommend a SIP aware ADSL router that will allow VoIP traffic
    > to and from the private internal network?

    The VoIP firmware that can be had here
    <http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads.php> is excellent.

    Have a look at the docs to see which routers you can use it with. Pay
    particular attention to model numbers & version numbers, though - the
    newer Linksys models in most UK shops don't have enough memory to
    support the third party firmware.

    Jono, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Peter Downes

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Peter Downes" <> wrote in message
    > Can anybody recommend a SIP aware ADSL router that will
    > allow VoIP traffic to and from the private internal
    > network?

    Assuming the network you are connecting to has a fixed IP address, I would
    have thought most would work. I have an AVM Fritz!Box Fon connected to a
    private Asterisk system that seems to work quite well.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 21, 2006
  4. Peter Downes

    Tim Guest

    Peter Downes wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a SIP aware ADSL router that will allow VoIP traffic
    > to and from the private internal network?

    Intertex has a full SIP server on board that can bridge the gap.

    But, something as clever as the Intertex isn't needed for simple
    applications. Most SIP service providers deploy Session Border
    Controllers. These make the voice traffic symmetric and so it will go
    in fine for most simple NAT devices.

    Tim

    Tim, Dec 21, 2006
  5. Peter Downes wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a SIP aware ADSL router that will allow VoIP traffic
    > to and from the private internal network?

    we're fond of the speedtouch 780.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Dec 21, 2006