Sinister Cinema - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by karlpov, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. karlpov

    karlpov Guest

    I'm confused to discover Sinister Cinema, another PD dvd publisher
    with some pretty interesting titles, including Fantomas, Demon Barber
    of Fleet Street, FPI Doesn't Answer, and Fabiola.

    I understand why many dealers hesitate to handle Alpha Video, whose
    low prices can't offer much of a profit margin. But Sinister Cinema
    has quite "healthy" prices -- most discs are $16.95. Yet I can't find
    a single dealer who handles them. Nor is the company in the "studio"
    database of DVD Profiler.

    They offer at least a couple movies which are so obscure that they
    don't appear in IMDB: Couples Only (with Peter Lorre) and The Hound of
    the Baskervilles (with Peter Cushing, but *not* the Hammer version
    available on dvd from MGM -- this one was done some years later).
    (Sinister Cinema also offers German and Russian versions of The Hound
    of the Baskervilles!)

    They offer several of the German Edgar Wallace titles, and even a
    couple old British ones.

    The site (http://www.sinistercinema.com) has some mildly strange
    things to say about packaging, and about DVD-Rs. Is this some sort of
    amateur outfit? Are their DVDs generally above or below Madacy
    quality?

    karlpov, Oct 17, 2003

  2. karlpov

    JWB Guest

    "karlpov" <> wrote in message
    > I'm confused to discover Sinister Cinema, another PD dvd publisher
    > with some pretty interesting titles, including Fantomas, Demon Barber
    > of Fleet Street, FPI Doesn't Answer, and Fabiola.
    >
    > I understand why many dealers hesitate to handle Alpha Video, whose
    > low prices can't offer much of a profit margin. But Sinister Cinema
    > has quite "healthy" prices -- most discs are $16.95. Yet I can't find
    > a single dealer who handles them. Nor is the company in the "studio"
    > database of DVD Profiler.
    >
    > They offer at least a couple movies which are so obscure that they
    > don't appear in IMDB: Couples Only (with Peter Lorre) and The Hound of
    > the Baskervilles (with Peter Cushing, but *not* the Hammer version
    > available on dvd from MGM -- this one was done some years later).
    > (Sinister Cinema also offers German and Russian versions of The Hound
    > of the Baskervilles!)
    >
    > They offer several of the German Edgar Wallace titles, and even a
    > couple old British ones.
    >
    > The site (http://www.sinistercinema.com) has some mildly strange
    > things to say about packaging, and about DVD-Rs. Is this some sort of
    > amateur outfit? Are their DVDs generally above or below Madacy
    > quality?

    They've been around a long time selling VHS tapes out of a lovingly put
    together mail order catalog (good service with good prices too). IIRC,
    besides the HUGE catalog of obscure genre films, they had trailer tapes
    galore. I suspect they made those themselves, along with probably most of
    their catalog. So, it's not a stretch to assume they are doing this with
    DVD's. I'm not sure of the legality of this (if it is even true, but the
    tapes I bought from them were certainly not studio tapes), but they've been
    around forever. From what I remember, the quality was fine.

    Of course, we expect so much more from our DVD's these days, but I for many
    of their titles, they are probably the only choice.

    JWB

    JWB, Oct 17, 2003

  3. karlpov

    karlpov Guest

    Forgive the trivial question, but for purposes of cataloguing, I
    wonder, do Sinister Cinema products bear a UPC?

    karlpov, Oct 19, 2003
  4. I've bought many VHS tapes from them in the past, some okay, some less
    so. Virtually all their stuff (with just a handful of exceptions) is
    taken from 16mm, hence all the scope films are pan and scan.

    Their DVDs are, in fact, just home pressed DVDr. and I believe their
    packaging is the same as their generic VHS packaging - no, there are no
    bar codes.

    Brockhurst Pertwee, Oct 20, 2003