    occasionally is even intermittent in its appearance. "Refresh" will
    occasionally change the display state enough to make it disappear, but it
    always comes back.
    Cheryl, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Cheryl

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 00:52:38 -0000, Cheryl <> wrote:

    >Two days ago out of the clear blue, the display on my Inspiron 6000 laptop
    >revealed a vertical line, appearing just left of the screen center. On
    >first appearance, the line was blue. On each consecutive re-boot, the line
    >has been rotating through a simple 8-color palette; blue, yellow, green,
    >red, magenta; even white. It remains in the same position on screen
    >placement, is only 1 pixel wide (widescreen laptop display), and
    >occasionally is even intermittent in its appearance. "Refresh" will
    >occasionally change the display state enough to make it disappear, but it
    >always comes back.

    Does this bar come on as soon as you boot - even if you boot into the
    BIOS?

    Does it appear if you plug in an external monitor?
    Evan Platt, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Cheryl

    Cheryl Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > Does this bar come on as soon as you boot - even if you boot into the
    > BIOS?
    >
    > Does it appear if you plug in an external monitor?

    Answers: Yes, the line appears immediately upon boot and also appears in
    command line (run cmd) app window. It does not, however, appear on the
    external flat-panel monitor I plugged in just last night onto which I
    extended this Windows desktop.
    Cheryl, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Cheryl

    Guest

    On Jan 16, 12:07 am, Cheryl <> wrote:
    > Evan Platt <> wrote innews:p:
    >

    > > Does this bar come on as soon as you boot - even if you boot into the
    > > BIOS?

    > > Does it appear if you plug in an external monitor?

    > Answers: Yes, the line appears immediately upon boot and also appears in
    > command line (run cmd) app window. It does not, however, appear on the
    > external flat-panel monitor I plugged in just last night onto which I
    > extended this Windows desktop.

    Hi, ive the same problem on a Hp nx 9040, i guess that you should
    change the lcd screen... if you get anny other solution, please let me
    know..
    , Jan 16, 2008
  5. Cheryl

    JANA Guest

    The vertical line is from either the LCD screen, or the video driver area on
    the mother board. It sounds definitely like a hardware fault. I have seen
    defective LCD displays make these lines. The fix is to replace the LCD
    display when they are defective.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jan 16, 2008
  6. Cheryl

    Cirga Guest

    On Jan 15, 11:42 pm, "JANA" <> wrote:
    > The vertical line is from either the LCD screen, or the video driver area on
    > the mother board. It sounds definitely like a hardware fault. I have seen
    > defective LCD displays make these lines.  The fix is to replace the LCD
    > display when they are defective.

    Common issue with LCD screens. Sounds like someone placed something
    "too" heavy on top of your laptop lid while it was closed.. or dropped
    something onto your laptop. Either way.. I have seen this many times
    on the 40 inch LCD's we have throughout the property here. Thanks to
    people bumping the screens with ladders etc. One or two pixels show
    bars down the entire screen.. and nothing we can do but replace
    them. Hopefully your inspiron is not too old.. and Dell will
    replace it for you for free. Cant hurt to call.
    Cirga, Jan 16, 2008