    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne
    Matthew Melbourne, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Matthew Melbourne

    AJN Guest

    Hi,

    Indeed, it's possible to share the LAN-based failover interface with
    statefull failover interface under lightly loaded configuration, but Cisco
    recommend to use a dedicated LAN-based failover interface (with dedicated
    switch) , because if all connectivity between PIX's is lost both could
    become active.

    Another advantage of the LAN-based failover is distance limitation, and the
    weakness is the delayed detection of its peer power loss, consequently
    causing a relatively longer period for failover to occur (intermediate
    switches delays + cable delay).
    AJN, Jan 10, 2005

  3. AJN wrote:

    > Another advantage of the LAN-based failover is distance limitation, and the
    > weakness is the delayed detection of its peer power loss, consequently
    > causing a relatively longer period for failover to occur (intermediate
    > switches delays + cable delay).

    I could not experience any difference or delays in failover when using
    dedicated LAN connections compared to serial failover-cable. At least
    that is true when directly connecting PIX 525 or 535 over dedicated
    66-MHz SX gigabit ethernet cards.

    Cheers,
    Alexander
    Alexander Apathy, Jan 10, 2005