    no one offering a widescreen version so wondered if it was ever avail that
    way or if my memory is foggy as I thought I had seen it shown in WS before
    but been a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be hehe

    Bratboy, Apr 14, 2005

  2. Bratboy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    news:425ecbee$0$27491$...
    > Just picked up a dbl disc special edition copy today. Saw it at a good
    > price, at least for me $14 is good. Anyway after I got home noticed it
    > was in FS. Was the movie done in FS or LBox? I scanned a few sites and
    > can find no one offering a widescreen version so wondered if it was
    > ever avail that way or if my memory is foggy as I thought I had seen
    > it shown in WS before but been a long time ago and my memory is not
    > what it used to be hehe

    The movie was not a widescreen production. 4:3 is the correct ratio.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Bratboy

    John Howells Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote

    > Just picked up a dbl disc special edition copy today. Saw it at a good
    > price, at least for me $14 is good. Anyway after I got home noticed it was
    > in FS. Was the movie done in FS or LBox? I scanned a few sites and can

    find
    > no one offering a widescreen version so wondered if it was ever avail that
    > way or if my memory is foggy as I thought I had seen it shown in WS before
    > but been a long time ago

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0045152/technical

    Not always accurate, but correct this time.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Bratboy" <> wrote in message
    >> Just picked up a dbl disc special edition copy today. Saw it at a good
    >> price, at least for me $14 is good. Anyway after I got home noticed it
    >> was in FS. Was the movie done in FS or LBox? I scanned a few sites and
    >> can find no one offering a widescreen version so wondered if it was ever
    >> avail that way or if my memory is foggy as I thought I had seen it shown
    >> in WS before but been a long time ago and my memory is not what it used
    >> to be hehe

    > The movie was not a widescreen production. 4:3 is the correct ratio.

    Thx, since couldnt find one thing mentioning it ever being in WS figured was
    my memory, LOL. Will say this much for it tho, the PQ and audio is amazingly
    good. So used to classics getting the Short end of the stick and this one
    they didnt skimp on.

    Bratboy, Apr 14, 2005
  5. In article <425ecbee$0$27491$>,
    Bratboy <> wrote:

    >Just picked up a dbl disc special edition copy today. Saw it at
    >a good price, at least for me $14 is good. Anyway after I got
    >home noticed it was in FS. Was the movie done in FS or LBox? I
    >scanned a few sites and can find no one offering a widescreen
    >version so wondered if it was ever avail that way or if my
    >memory is foggy as I thought I had seen it shown in WS before
    >but been a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be
    >hehe

    Plain old 1.33:1 ratio. I saw it when I was about 12 in it's first
    release in a small town where the movies stayed only 3 days before
    a new one came along.

    I liked that so much I saw it twice. The year was 1952.

    The first Cinemascope film released by 20Th Century Fox was
    The Egyptian in 1954. I saw that and in those days we were
    impressed with the wide screen. Seeing the movie years later I
    think the width of the screen was it's only reason to see it :)

    I always thought it was interesting that Fox was one of the leaders
    in wide-screen with their 70MM non-anamorphic process in the late
    1920s. The depression that started in 1929 killed all chances for
    anything new to come about, and 25 years later Fox resurected
    wide-screen with a process that only required new lenses and
    screens not entirely new projection chains.

    You may have seen SITR in WS as some theatres just masked everyting
    in a WS format that cut off the top and bottom of the pictures.
    Most noticeable when they ran cartoon with Donald Duck's head cut
    off on the top.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Bratboy

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > The first Cinemascope film released by 20Th Century Fox was
    > The Egyptian in 1954. I saw that and in those days we were
    > impressed with the wide screen. Seeing the movie years later I
    > think the width of the screen was it's only reason to see it :)

    I thought that "The Robe" was the first Cinemascope movie (from Fox).

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 15, 2005
  7. On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:55:01 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    >The first Cinemascope film released by 20Th Century Fox was
    >The Egyptian in 1954. I saw that and in those days we were
    >impressed with the wide screen. Seeing the movie years later I
    >think the width of the screen was it's only reason to see it :)
    >

    >Bill

    There are some titles that are naturals for transfer to DVD and yet
    have not. I hope that doesn't mean that the masters are lost or
    deteriated beyond use. I would love to see The Egyptian again, but my
    favourite from that period is Land of the Pharaohs. Of course they
    would need to be original 2.55 presentations. The cleaned-up for DVD
    offering of The Ten Commandments shows what can be done if there is
    the will, but I'm not sure that they would spend the cost to restore
    Land of the Pharaohs, much less The Egyptian. I'm a sucker for big,
    widescreen classics. When will the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty be
    cleaned up and put on DVD? Yes, I know that both the 1935 and 1984
    versions are more critically acclaimed, but I still want to see Brando
    strut and Howard fume in Tahiti widescreen.

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Apr 15, 2005
  8. On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:10:54 -0700, Charles Eggen <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:55:01 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >

    > I'm a sucker for big,
    >widescreen classics. When will the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty be
    >cleaned up and put on DVD? Yes, I know that both the 1935 and 1984
    >versions are more critically acclaimed, but I still want to see Brando
    >strut and Howard fume in Tahiti widescreen.
    >
    >Charles
    >nzvideos.org

    Currently being cleaned up and mastered. Warners is expecting to
    release it around December of 2005.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Apr 15, 2005
  9. Bratboy

    Film Buff Guest

    HOORAY!!!!!
    At least it will be the COMPLETE theatrical version (and maybe a
    two-disc set)

    M-G-M/SONY has butchered "The Alamo", "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad
    Word", "Hawaii" and God knows what else.

    Hopefully Warners will release "Grand Prix", "Raintree County", "The
    Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm", and "The Shoes of the
    Fisherman"

    If M-G-M/SONY releases any of these, you know they will be
    butchered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Film Buff, Apr 16, 2005
  10. In article <>,
    Charles Eggen <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:55:01 GMT, (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >

    >>The first Cinemascope film released by 20Th Century Fox was
    >>The Egyptian in 1954. I saw that and in those days we were
    >>impressed with the wide screen. Seeing the movie years later I
    >>think the width of the screen was it's only reason to see it :)

    >There are some titles that are naturals for transfer to DVD and yet
    >have not. I hope that doesn't mean that the masters are lost or
    >deteriated beyond use. I would love to see The Egyptian again, but my
    >favourite from that period is Land of the Pharaohs.

    Fox Cable shows the Egyptian now and then. That's when I noticed
    it didn't wear as well as others.

    >Of course they would need to be original 2.55 presentations.
    >The cleaned-up for DVD offering of The Ten Commandments shows
    >what can be done if there is the will, but I'm not sure that
    >they would spend the cost to restore Land of the Pharaohs, much
    >less The Egyptian. I'm a sucker for big, widescreen classics.
    >When will the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty be cleaned up and put on
    >DVD? Yes, I know that both the 1935 and 1984 versions are more
    >critically acclaimed, but I still want to see Brando strut and
    >Howard fume in Tahiti widescreen.

    I was disappointed that Fox didn't release The Big Trail in
    widescreen in it's original 2.10 ratio as was shot on Grandeur.

    I got an S-VHS copy off of cable. It's one of John Wayne's first
    films, and that might attract some, but that's not what makes
    it good IMO. The photography is wonderful with some truly great
    scenes.

    And when you watch it and knowing this was done on location and
    before the FX we have today you really appreciate what effort went
    into filming. The scenes fording the river and those winching down
    oxen down the clffs from the plains area are amazing. The covered
    wagons are much larger than you typically see in the Western films,
    and I suspect many of them were originals but have no idea on that.

    I think that The Big Trail should have have had a widescreen
    release when it came out on DVD. Another great western not on DVD
    is Cimarron - the first western every to win an Academy Award for
    best picture. [I don't know my Oscar history but it may be the
    only one].

    I'm surprised that Brando's work didn't see more re-issues on his
    death.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 16, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    Dick Sidbury <> wrote:
    >Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>
    >> The first Cinemascope film released by 20Th Century Fox was
    >> The Egyptian in 1954. I saw that and in those days we were
    >> impressed with the wide screen. Seeing the movie years later I
    >> think the width of the screen was it's only reason to see it :)

    >I thought that "The Robe" was the first Cinemascope movie (from Fox).

    You are right. Since I was more in the 'hinterlands' the Egyptian
    was the first wide-screen film we got to see in our area - and that
    was about a year after the Robe. So I mentally categorized The
    Egyptian as the first - though it was just the first I'd seen after
    the local theatre [atually one in a neighboring city] installed
    equipment and screens.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 16, 2005
  12. Film Buff wrote:

    >>>I'm a sucker for big,
    >>>widescreen classics. When will the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty be
    >>>cleaned up and put on DVD? Yes, I know that both the 1935 and 1984
    >>>versions are more critically acclaimed, but I still want to see Brando
    >>>strut and Howard fume in Tahiti widescreen.
    >>>

    >> Currently being cleaned up and mastered. Warners is expecting to
    >> release it around December of 2005.

    >HOORAY!!!!!
    > At least it will be the COMPLETE theatrical version (and maybe a
    > two-disc set)
    >
    > M-G-M/SONY has butchered "The Alamo", "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad
    > Word", "Hawaii" and God knows what else.
    >
    > Hopefully Warners will release "Grand Prix", "Raintree County", "The
    > Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm", and "The Shoes of the
    > Fisherman"

    Already asked about "Grimm" a year ago, at the Warner HTF Chat--
    Apparently, the ex-Cinerama print would need as much expensive print
    restoration as "Around/80 Days" did, and would need a *lot* more studio
    support to justify the cost of a good year's work...

    It's one of my all-time favorites, too (and one of my last remaining
    still-on-tape holdouts), but if you're "showing off" that you've heard
    of it, that's not a good sign.

    Derek Janssen (and yes, the '84 Bounty IS "more critically acclaimed",
    and with Hopkins in it, it's pretty darn good) :)

    Derek Janssen, Apr 16, 2005
  13. Bratboy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message
    > Another great western not on DVD
    > is Cimarron - the first western every to win an Academy Award for
    > best picture. [I don't know my Oscar history but it may be the
    > only one].

    Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven also both won Best Picture.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 16, 2005
  14. In article <G_a8e.6423$>,
    Joshua Zyber <> wrote:
    >"Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message
    >> Another great western not on DVD
    >> is Cimarron - the first western every to win an Academy Award for
    >> best picture. [I don't know my Oscar history but it may be the
    >> only one].

    >Dances With Wolves and Unforgiven also both won Best Picture.

    Thanks. I've always loved DWW but I never thought of it as a
    Western. Growing up with 'cowboy movies' almost always as part of
    a Saturday double-feature I guess warped my view of what a western
    was. [And my granfather - who died when my mother was a young girl
    - was a cowboy and trick rider/roper - before he settled down].

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Apr 16, 2005