    45.

    Thanks,
    Stacy
    Stacy E, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Stacy E

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Stacy E <> wrote:
    > The company I work for recently installed a new phone system that offers
    > voip so our main office and remote office a few miles down the road can
    > communicate seemlessly. I have also been given the option of working from
    > home on occassion when my projects permit if I set up my home network in a
    > way that would allow me to take my phone home. To do this I understand would
    > require a static ip address. To obtain a static ip address from my isp would
    > require me to change to a business plan that limits my internet usage some
    > and also costs $30 a month more. Outside of switching isp's (in the area I
    > live, I am limited if I want high speed), is there another way? We have
    > extra static addresses at the office that we are not using. Can they be
    > utilized for this somehow? Is there a way to simulate a static ip address
    > for this purpose?

    You could set up a VPN connection, either informally using your desktop
    machine or formally through your IT staff. The former option would probably
    not please them and the latter might not either.

    I suspect your best option would be to do a more thorough investigation of
    alternate ISPs. www.dslreports.com is a good place to start.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Stacy E

    TC Guest

    Stacy E wrote:
    > The company I work for recently installed a new phone system that offers
    > voip so our main office and remote office a few miles down the road can
    > communicate seemlessly. I have also been given the option of working from
    > home on occassion when my projects permit if I set up my home network in a
    > way that would allow me to take my phone home. To do this I understand would
    > require a static ip address.

    what kind of a looser VoIP system do they get sold that does not allow
    the client phone to register with a dynamic IP
    eh I think that you nned to get some admin to RTFM :)
    TC, Oct 20, 2003