    connected to a network?
    The only suggestion that I have had is to use VMware - but this seems like
    overkill.

    frederick, May 20, 2004

  2. On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:49:51 +1200, "frederick" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a simple way to enable mapping a partition (or even folder
    >on main partition)on the HD of a stand-alone machine as a network drive when not
    >connected to a network?
    >The only suggestion that I have had is to use VMware - but this seems like
    >overkill.

    Check out the DOS command "SUBST". It's still available - even in
    Windows XP. Type:

    Subst /?

    For information on how to use it.

    You can also share folders on the local machine. e.g. share your
    C:\Temp folder - it should then be accessable as \\MACHINENAME\Temp ..
    you can map network drives back to the local machine. If the computer
    refuses to do it by name, do it by IP address. \\192.168.1.1\Temp etc.

    The PC may have to have a NIC for this. It shouldn't need to be
    connected to a network though.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, May 20, 2004

  3. frederick

    frederick Guest

    "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:49:51 +1200, "frederick" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know of a simple way to enable mapping a partition (or even

    folder
    > >on main partition)on the HD of a stand-alone machine as a network drive when

    not
    > >connected to a network?
    > >The only suggestion that I have had is to use VMware - but this seems like
    > >overkill.

    > Check out the DOS command "SUBST". It's still available - even in
    > Windows XP. Type:
    >
    > Subst /?
    >
    > For information on how to use it.

    Ta - I'd forgotten about subst - but not really what I want. Subst makes a
    virtual local drive. I want to be able to see the local folder or drive in
    explorer "my network places".

    > You can also share folders on the local machine. e.g. share your
    > C:\Temp folder - it should then be accessable as \\MACHINENAME\Temp ..
    > you can map network drives back to the local machine. If the computer
    > refuses to do it by name, do it by IP address. \\192.168.1.1\Temp etc.
    >
    > The PC may have to have a NIC for this. It shouldn't need to be
    > connected to a network though.

    No luck with that - it won't take it on name or IP address.
    I hoped that there might be some kind of tool to create a "virtual network
    drive", but haven't been able to find anything yet.

    frederick, May 20, 2004
  4. frederick

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in news:1085040303.973712
    @radsrv1.tranzpeer.net:

    > No luck with that - it won't take it on name or IP address.

    Try troubleshooting this harder. LMHosts or Hosts entries present?
    Disabled software firewalls?
    I have never tried it but it seems to me that using loopback should work.
    127.0.0.1

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 20, 2004
  5. frederick

    frederick Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "frederick" <> wrote in news:1085040303.973712
    > @radsrv1.tranzpeer.net:
    >
    > > No luck with that - it won't take it on name or IP address.

    > Try troubleshooting this harder. LMHosts or Hosts entries present?
    > Disabled software firewalls?
    > I have never tried it but it seems to me that using loopback should work.
    > 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Ciao, Dave

    And finally it did - although Explorer crashed first time I tried it. Seems ok
    now.
    I have a large hosts file - but all entries looping back to 127.0.0.1, and am
    running a software firewall.

    frederick, May 20, 2004
  6. frederick

    E. Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"frederick" <> wrote in news:1085040303.973712
    >>@radsrv1.tranzpeer.net:
    >>

    >>>No luck with that - it won't take it on name or IP address.

    >>Try troubleshooting this harder. LMHosts or Hosts entries present?
    >>Disabled software firewalls?
    >>I have never tried it but it seems to me that using loopback should work.
    >>127.0.0.1
    >>
    >>Ciao, Dave

    > And finally it did - although Explorer crashed first time I tried it. Seems ok
    > now.
    > I have a large hosts file - but all entries looping back to 127.0.0.1, and am
    > running a software firewall.

    Install the MS loopback adapter which creates a 'virtual' NIC.
    E.

    E., Jun 7, 2004
  7. frederick

    frederick Guest

    "E." <> wrote in message

    > Install the MS loopback adapter which creates a 'virtual' NIC.
    > E.

    Many thanks! I had kind of given up on such an easy solution.

    There are instructions for w2000 at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;236869
    The setup procedure is more or less the same for XP.

    This allows me to demonstrate on a laptop (not connected to a network), an
    application that I did not want a user to be able to potentially stuff up - by
    remapping a network drive letter - but I also didn't want to complicate the
    issue by forcing anyone installing the application to find the UNC filename of a
    shared folder on a network drive. The user selects the folder simply in
    explorer/mycomputer, but the application extracts and uses the UNC path
    saved in the registry.

    frederick, Jun 7, 2004