Sims 2 & Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by welsh_angel, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. welsh_angel

    welsh_angel

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I have just had a PC built for me and my Sims 2 games don't work properly. I think that I have on-board graphics and I would like to buy a decent graphics card but not sure what to get. I spoke to someone not long ago who recommended Geforce4 or Geforce 5200FX/5500FX and these were AGP 8x - How do I tell if my motherboard will support this kind of graphics card?
    My current system is as follows:

    Motherboard: http://www.abit.com.tw/ KV-85 (VIA K8M800-8237R) 1.x
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/06/2006
    448 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP [Display adapter]
    Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
    USB Human Interface Device
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    HID-compliant mouse
    USB Mass Storage Device
    USB Root Hub (4x)
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 82.34 GB 55.95 GB free

    I don't know how much of that anyone needs to know in order to assist me so I just put it all down! I read somewhere someone had a similar problem to me, the game had violent red flashing lights on the screen and it ran really slowly. Please help!!

    welsh_angel, Sep 4, 2006

  2. welsh_angel

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Yes, your motherboard supports AGP 8x grafix cards. The two that you posted would work wonders for what you are usign them for. The AGP 8x slot is almost standard these days unless you get a motherboard specificly designed for PCI express cards. However yes, buy an AGP 8x card, most any card made within the last 2 years would be beter than your onboard video.

    Gez, Sep 5, 2006

  3. welsh_angel

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Yes that video card is definately causing those problems, look at getting a standard one, like u listed, 5200FX/5500FX. After all we are talking about the sims 2 here.... :p

    unholy, Sep 7, 2006
  4. welsh_angel

    shmareh

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Same problem!

    I know that this is late to the original thread but I am really stuck! Have no idea about computers but know i need a new graphics card as my sims2 expansion is voilently red!!!
    here are my stats

    Field Value
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard Name NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL NEC Versa Premium
    Motherboard ID <DMI>

    Front Side Bus Properties
    Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz