    studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
    collectors.

    -Doc

    docdude316, Jun 23, 2005

  2. docdude316

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:44:28 GMT, docdude316
    <> wrote:

    >I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
    >part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
    >mean I was pissed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
    >normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
    >better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
    >whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
    >like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
    >studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
    >collectors.

    Is it a bit much for them to actually release the rest of the Simpson
    series at the rate faster than one season per year? 6th season was
    just announced and we're up to what...? Just finished 16th season? If
    they still stick to one season per year chances are DVD may become
    obsolete before they even catch up to 16th season and there's no way
    of knowing how many more seasons Simpsons would continue for.

    At least the 6th season case are claimed to "fit" the bookshelf. Not
    like when Battlestar Galactica came in a huge Cylon box that is almost
    twice as tall as standard DVD case. But what is the point? Most
    people don't display their DVD facing out, usually they are stored
    with only the spine facing out and from the look of the picture there
    is pretty much nothing on the spine at all. They may sell better at
    stores but that is the only reason I can think of.

    PS I do agree, I would have prefered they kept the same style case
    they used in the first 5 seasons.

    Impmon, Jun 23, 2005

  3. docdude316

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/22/2005 7:24:26 PM, Impmon wrote:

    > They may sell better at stores but that is the only reason I can think
    > of.

    And what better reason could there be? That is the point, after all. If
    they happen to please collectors, that's a nice bonus, but that's not why
    they release these.

    Admittedly, I haven't been collecting this series, but I love the Homer
    case, and like the idea of them going with different characters every
    season, as stated on the site. I do think it will help move more
    product, so I think it was a smart move on their part.

    I can see why some of you would want them to remain consistent, though,
    for the sake of symmetry.
    --
    "Remember what I said about people seein' a bright light before they
    die? It ain't true. I can't see a damn thing."

    Now playing: "Jimi Hendrix - Jimi/jimmy Jam"

    Tarkus, Jun 23, 2005
  4. I have all the seasons so far, and I HATE the proposed new look for Season
    6.
    Do as I have done, and send your protests / comments to

    Andy ( England )

    andrew.upton4, Jun 23, 2005
  5. docdude316

    Goro Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:44:28 GMT, docdude316
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
    > >part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
    > >mean I was pissed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
    > >normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
    > >better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
    > >whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
    > >like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
    > >studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
    > >collectors.

    > Is it a bit much for them to actually release the rest of the Simpson
    > series at the rate faster than one season per year? 6th season was

    they shold at least be able to do 2 a year now that the FUTURAMA dvds
    are all done. The slow release was supposedly b/c they wanted to do
    audio commentary for each and every episode.

    Disney pushed up their release schedule for all their major animated
    movies b/c they foresaw HDDVD/BluRay coming and wanted to ensure that
    they managed to sell to the established DVD consumer base, then later
    they could double-dip with an HD version.

    If Rupert Murdoch not as smrat as Michael Eisner? :)

    I think the Head looks kinda cool and it says, "COLLECTOR'S EDITION" on
    it. Does this mean that there will be a "NORMAL EDITION" or is this
    more bizarro DVD speak? i mean, it's not a collector's edition if it's
    the ONLY edition. Of course, "Director's Cut" and "Limited Edition"
    have certainly been bastardized already.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jun 23, 2005
  6. docdude316

    Sean O'Hara Guest

    In the Year of the Cock, the Great and Powerful Impmon declared:

    > At least the 6th season case are claimed to "fit" the bookshelf.

    I wonder how far apart they're assuming the shelves are? On mine
    there's only a quarter inch between the top of the DVD cases and the
    next shelf, so if this box is even slightly taller than a standard
    case, it won't fit.

    And if they do use a different character for each subsequent box,
    what are they going to do with Marge? Her hair will at least double
    the height of a normal case.

    --
    Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
    People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of

    Sean O'Hara, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Although almost nobody wants the "Homer Head" box, it looks like we're stuck
    with it.

    andrew.upton4, Jun 26, 2005
  8. docdude316

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/26/2005 9:10:45 AM, andrew.upton4 wrote:

    > Although almost nobody wants the "Homer Head" box, it looks like we're
    > stuck with it.

    You mean nobody here. I have a feeling it will be their biggest seller.
    --
    "You're no daisy. You're no daisy at all!"

    Now playing: "Frank Marino - Electric Reflections Revisited"

    Tarkus, Jun 26, 2005
  9. docdude316

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > On 6/26/2005 6:51:09 PM, wrote:
    >

    >>Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
    >>sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
    >>other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

    > Because the "gimmick crap" stands out on the store shelves.
    >
    > If packaging didn't matter, they'd all be in slimline jewel cases.

    yeah, but
    I'd bet that if they put them out in "regular" boxes AND "collector"
    boxes that the regular ones would fly off the shelf first.

    dick
    -- anyone want to trade a regular special edition box for Total Recall
    for the really neat mars shaped one I'm stuck with?

    Dick Sidbury, Jun 27, 2005
  10. docdude316

    Guest

    docdude316 wrote:
    > TV Shows on DVD, recently posted a pic of the new box art for The
    > Simpsons season 6, and I for one don't like it a bit. Here's a link to
    > said box art: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3576
    >
    > I really don't like this idea. I hate it when TV shows change their box
    > part way through the series it makes my DVD shelf loose continuity. I
    > mean I was pissed when Quantum Leap changed to slim cases instead of the
    > normal fold open case (although I know the slim cases protect the DVDs
    > better).Is it too much to ask for them to keep one style throughout the
    > whole series. Now I'll probably have to go and download special covers
    > like I did with the Star Trek films just to keep the continuity. These
    > studios really don't care about the Obsessive Compulsive part of us DVD
    > collectors.
    >
    > -Doc

    Man that is one ugly cockeyed box! I wonder how the discs inside are
    seated and if it would not just be easier to transfer them over to an
    after market case for easier shelf storage like I did with my Star Trek
    and Wonder Woman box sets,(which I thought were bad but boy next to
    this POS Homer box they look good) and store the box away!

    Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
    sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
    other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

    , Jun 27, 2005
  11. docdude316

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/26/2005 6:51:09 PM, wrote:

    > Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
    > sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
    > other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

    Because the "gimmick crap" stands out on the store shelves.

    If packaging didn't matter, they'd all be in slimline jewel cases.
    --
    "We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have
    about three seconds to live."

    Now playing: "Black Sabbath - Guitar Solo"

    Tarkus, Jun 27, 2005
  12. docdude316

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/26/2005 5:21:12 PM, Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > I'd bet that if they put them out in "regular" boxes AND "collector"
    > boxes that the regular ones would fly off the shelf first.

    I would take that bet. I think most people would see the collector box
    as something more unique to display and/or resell at a future date.
    While I can understand the serious collector wanting uniformity in their
    collection, I don't believe most buyers are serious collectors.

    I think time will tell. I don't think there's anything special about
    season six, other than the box. So if I'm right, it should be their best
    seller ever. If I'm wrong, sales will be disappointing.
    --
    Homer: "Sometimes I think we're the worst family in town."
    Marge: "Maybe we should move to a larger community."

    Now playing: "Captain Beyond - Mesmerization Eclipse Drums"

    Tarkus, Jun 27, 2005
  13. docdude316

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Tarkus () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I think time will tell. I don't think there's anything special about
    > season six, other than the box.

    Well, it is in the "prime" of the show, which was seasons 4-8 or so.
    It's got some of the really classic episodes from the series:

    Bart of Darkness
    Itchy & Scratchyland
    Sideshow Bob Roberts
    Treehouse of Horror V (includes "The Shinning")
    Bart's Girlfriend
    Homer the Great
    Bart vs. Australia
    A Star Is Burns
    Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
    Springfield Connection
    Lemon of Troy
    Who Shot Mr. Burns? (1)

    OTOH, season 5 was almost as good, so unless there's a huge difference
    in sales, the box has nothing to do with it.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife, Jun 27, 2005
  14. docdude316

    Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > On 6/26/2005 6:51:09 PM, wrote:
    >
    > > Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
    > > sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
    > > other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

    > Because the "gimmick crap" stands out on the store shelves.
    >
    > If packaging didn't matter, they'd all be in slimline jewel cases.
    > --

    Heck I wouldn't mind them using good quality cases even slimcases
    packaged inside an outer box like this Homer monstrosity is as I feel
    it would go a long way in making the majority of both collectors and
    users happy!

    BTW what I meant by "Simple & Sturdy" is something like what the cases
    they use in the MASH season series discs come in!

    , Jun 27, 2005
  15. docdude316

    Guest

    Dick Sidbury wrote:
    > Tarkus wrote:
    > > On 6/26/2005 6:51:09 PM, wrote:
    > >

    > >>Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
    > >>sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
    > >>other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

    > > Because the "gimmick crap" stands out on the store shelves.
    > >
    > > If packaging didn't matter, they'd all be in slimline jewel cases.

    > yeah, but
    > I'd bet that if they put them out in "regular" boxes AND "collector"
    > boxes that the regular ones would fly off the shelf first.
    >
    > dick

    I totally agree, especially because collectors buy the set and 99% of
    the time they Never Open It because it will decrease the value of the
    item!

    And frankly all this Gimmick Crap does for users like me who want to
    see it played just adds $$$ onto the price tag you and I have to shell
    out to buy it for!

    , Jun 27, 2005
  16. docdude316

    Howard Guest

    Jeff Rife <> wrote in

    > A Star Is Burns

    "I was saying 'boo-urns'!"

    . Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.

    Howard, Jun 27, 2005
  17. docdude316

    Guest

    From what I've heard, the standard box like all the other seasons will
    be inside the head. So if you don't like it, you can throw it away.

    On 27 Jun 2005 07:35:24 -0700, in alt.video.dvd you wrote:

    On 27 Jun 2005 07:35:24 -0700, wrote:

    >Tarkus wrote:
    >> On 6/26/2005 6:51:09 PM, wrote:
    >>
    >> > Heck why can't all the box sets be put in cases that are simple and
    >> > sturdy that are able to sit well on our shelves right next to all our
    >> > other dvds and cut out this gimmick crap!

    >> Because the "gimmick crap" stands out on the store shelves.
    >>
    >> If packaging didn't matter, they'd all be in slimline jewel cases.
    >> --

    >Heck I wouldn't mind them using good quality cases even slimcases
    >packaged inside an outer box like this Homer monstrosity is as I feel
    >it would go a long way in making the majority of both collectors and
    >users happy!
    >
    >BTW what I meant by "Simple & Sturdy" is something like what the cases
    >they use in the MASH season series discs come in!

    , Jun 27, 2005
  18. docdude316

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/27/2005 2:47:58 PM, wrote:

    > From what I've heard, the standard box like all the other seasons will
    > be inside the head. So if you don't like it, you can throw it away.

    That would be a smart idea; the best of both worlds.
    --
    "Earth's last battle will be fought in space."

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Life in London"

    Tarkus, Jun 27, 2005
  19. That sounds unlikely to me.

    andrew.upton4, Jun 28, 2005
  20. docdude316

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:47:58 -0400, wrote:

    >From what I've heard, the standard box like all the other seasons will
    >be inside the head. So if you don't like it, you can throw it away.

    Are you sure? The web page mentions that Homer's head will fit
    standard shelf so it'd have to be the size of most DVD cases. Looking
    at the picture, there's a rounded top so I would think the shape and
    size is about the same as Total Recall can package with cardboard
    stand.

    If the head can be separated and tossed aside, would the remaining DVD
    case be a bit smaller than standard DVD case?

    Impmon, Jun 28, 2005