SimpleDivX Does Not Support Subtitles

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bob, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I cannot get SimpleDivX to support subtitles.

    I put the patch 1.40.17 in and it made things worse. Now I cannot get
    subtitles on either WinDVD or my DVDR. It calls VobSub and claims that
    it has processed sibtitles, but when there are none on the screen.

    Before I used the patch I was running the official version, 1.40.14,
    and it at least did put subtitles on WinDVD, but not my DVDR.

    I am converting a short clip which does show subtitle when I run it as
    a VOB in WinDVD, and SimpleDivX acknowledges the presence of a
    subtitle stream.

    WTF is going on?

    --

    "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
    I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

    Bob, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Bob

    Randy Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    >I cannot get SimpleDivX to support subtitles.
    >
    > I put the patch 1.40.17 in and it made things worse. Now I cannot get
    > subtitles on either WinDVD or my DVDR. It calls VobSub and claims that
    > it has processed sibtitles, but when there are none on the screen.
    >
    > Before I used the patch I was running the official version, 1.40.14,
    > and it at least did put subtitles on WinDVD, but not my DVDR.
    >
    > I am converting a short clip which does show subtitle when I run it as
    > a VOB in WinDVD, and SimpleDivX acknowledges the presence of a
    > subtitle stream.
    >
    > WTF is going on?

    Why don't you submit this to their forum?

    http://www.simpledivx.org/ib/

    The developer is the administrator.

    Randy, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:01:30 -0700, "Randy"
    <> wrote:

    >> I am converting a short clip which does show subtitle when I run it as
    >> a VOB in WinDVD, and SimpleDivX acknowledges the presence of a
    >> subtitle stream.

    >> WTF is going on?

    >Why don't you submit this to their forum?

    >http://www.simpledivx.org/ib/

    >The developer is the administrator.

    I thought of that but then I discovered some other things.

    For example, I use DVD Shrink to reduce the size of a VOB (without
    compression) so it is faster to test - say 5 minutes from a 45 minute
    video title. I include the subtitle in English. Shrink then laysoff
    the IFO and VOB.

    I play the IFO in WinDVD and WMP and can see the subtitle when I tell
    the player to display it. So I know it is there.

    Then I import it into SimpleDivX and tell it to compile an AVI with
    subtitle. However when I play the AVI, there is no subtitle. If I use
    AutoGK on the same IFO, it too does not display the subtitle.

    However, if I compile an AVI from the full title (no clipping with
    Shrink) then I get subtitles with both SimpleDivX and AutoGK.

    This makes no sense because both programs claim to process subtitles.

    I tried lenghtening the clip to 10 minutes but that made no
    difference. However when I used Shrink to clip off just a small amount
    on the front and back of the title, both SimpleDivX and AutoGK worked
    properly with respect to subtitles.

    One other thing I noticed. AutoGK builds the subtitle into the AVI
    whereas SimpleDivX lays it off as a separate file. If I delete that
    file, then I lose the subtitle. That's no good because my DVDR is not
    going to recognize separare subtitle files. I'm lucky it recognizes
    AVIs.

    Clearly I am struggling to come up to speed in an environment that is
    not stable. Welcome to the bleeding edge.

    Bob, Feb 6, 2006