    1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as they are?
    Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    scripts worth looking at.

    click, Jul 6, 2007

  2. click <> wrote:

    > Thanks for any replies

    Clicking on the thumbs took too long before the full image displayed...
    most folks wouldn't check more than a few pix before they got bored.

    I hate to scroll images unless absolutely necessary, because I prefer to
    see the full composition at a glance.

    Perhaps 1024 x 768 should be your maximum design target, to fit even small
    laptops.

    For online viewing, speed is more important than size.

    Charles Gillen, Jul 6, 2007

  3. click

    RL Guest

    click wrote:
    > Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    > scripts worth looking at.

    The first one looks a bit better, but is it all really necessary?

    What is wrong with a simple HTML page of thumbnails and links to the big
    images?

    You could use a simple server-side script to generate the pages
    dynamically, or just do it on your PC before you upload new images.

    If you resize them or not, depends on what you're trying to do.
    Personally I prefer having large images as they are more useful.

    I'm probably in the minority these days, but simple is better IMO.

    - RL

    RL, Jul 6, 2007
  4. click

    click Guest

    RL wrote:
    > click wrote:
    >> Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    >> scripts worth looking at.

    > The first one looks a bit better, but is it all really necessary?
    >
    > What is wrong with a simple HTML page of thumbnails and links to the big
    > images?
    >
    > You could use a simple server-side script to generate the pages
    > dynamically, or just do it on your PC before you upload new images.

    It's a simple "free" ISP provided webspace so AFAIK server-side scripts
    aren't possible.
    I think it's necessary to do something, because simple links navigate
    way from the thumbnail index page, so if more than a few images are
    browsed, then navigating back to the index becomes a paint in the neck -
    either because the user closes a window (if the large images are opened
    in new windows/tabs), or the user gets lost in "back-forward" land.

    > If you resize them or not, depends on what you're trying to do.
    > Personally I prefer having large images as they are more useful.
    >
    > I'm probably in the minority these days, but simple is better IMO.

    I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

    click, Jul 6, 2007
  5. click

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    click wrote:
    > I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on
    > my ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from
    > dynamic drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below
    > have the same images and layout, but different scripts.
    > This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    > This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    > perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    > Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without
    > scrolling. Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on
    > say a 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as
    > they are? Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other
    > methods / scripts worth looking at.

    Works without JavaScript too. Impressed! I prefer the second one.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2007
  6. click

    click Guest

    Charles Gillen wrote:
    > click <> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for any replies

    > Clicking on the thumbs took too long before the full image displayed...
    > most folks wouldn't check more than a few pix before they got bored.
    >
    > I hate to scroll images unless absolutely necessary, because I prefer to
    > see the full composition at a glance.
    >
    > Perhaps 1024 x 768 should be your maximum design target, to fit even small
    > laptops.
    >
    > For online viewing, speed is more important than size.

    Yep - throttling back to 64kbps (I just used up my broadband quota
    until Sunday :) ), then I see what you mean. On dial-up speed, it's no
    good.
    I'll take a look at the scripts and see if there's a way to bypass the
    image being pre-loaded so that at least it starts loading instead of
    looking at the stupid animated "loading" caption. But browsing images
    at less than broadband speed is a lost cause IMO anyway.

    click, Jul 6, 2007
  7. Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > click wrote:
    >> I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on
    >> my ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from
    >> dynamic drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below
    >> have the same images and layout, but different scripts.
    >> This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    >> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    >> This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    >> perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    >> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    >> Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without
    >> scrolling. Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on
    >> say a 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as
    >> they are? Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other
    >> methods / scripts worth looking at.

    > Works without JavaScript too. Impressed! I prefer the second one.

    Dig it. Second one also has the "close" X at the top. Reduces scrolling.
    There's no such thing as making it *too* easy for users.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Jul 6, 2007
  8. click

    click Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > click wrote:
    >> I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on
    >> my ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from
    >> dynamic drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below
    >> have the same images and layout, but different scripts.
    >> This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    >> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    >> This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    >> perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    >> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    >> Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without
    >> scrolling. Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on
    >> say a 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as
    >> they are? Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other
    >> methods / scripts worth looking at.

    > Works without JavaScript too. Impressed! I prefer the second one.

    It uses Javascript - but what I can't figure is that with ie7, browsing
    the page(s) on my HD, ie brings up a security warning. Browsing the
    same on-line it doesn't. I think my security settings are 100% default,
    so I have no idea why Microsoft would deem that html stored on a local
    drive would be more of a potential threat than html on the www. No
    problems with FF default settings.

    click, Jul 6, 2007
  9. click

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    click wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> click wrote:
    >>> I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on
    >>> my ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from
    >>> dynamic drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below
    >>> have the same images and layout, but different scripts.
    >>> This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition
    >>> effects:
    >>> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm This is
    >>> simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close,
    >>> and perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    >>> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    >>> Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without
    >>> scrolling. Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on
    >>> say a 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them
    >>> as they are? Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for
    >>> other methods / scripts worth looking at.

    >> Works without JavaScript too. Impressed! I prefer the second one.
    >>

    > It uses Javascript - but what I can't figure is that with ie7,
    > browsing the page(s) on my HD, ie brings up a security warning. Browsing
    > the same on-line it doesn't. I think my security settings
    > are 100% default, so I have no idea why Microsoft would deem that
    > html stored on a local drive would be more of a potential threat than
    > html on the www. No problems with FF default settings.

    It's just an IE thing. What I mean is, if you turn JavaScript off, it still
    works. Without the fancy transition, but it works.

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2007
  10. click

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:39:43 +1200, in message <1183696452.241021@ftpsrv1>,
    click wrote:

    > I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on my
    > ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from dynamic
    > drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below have the
    > same images and layout, but different scripts.
    > This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    > This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    > perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    > Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without scrolling.
    > Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on say a
    > 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as they are?
    > Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    > scripts worth looking at.

    Both are really cool.

    Some comments

    1. People *will* click on the thumb before the thumbs page has fully
    loaded. If they do, the effects don't occur.

    2. The grey semi-opaque layer only extends the width of the physical screen,
    When I scroll right, I scroll past the its right-hand edge.

    3. Many full-sized images are wider than the screen, and people
    hate scrolling horizontally.

    4. Start displaying the full picture immediately. People hate waiting.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jul 6, 2007
  11. click

    Pete D Guest

    Not bad but I have a pretty fast connection (5Mbps) and wonder what it was
    like on a slower one.

    Prefer the second one by the way.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Jul 6, 2007
  12. click

    Gizmo. Guest

    "click" <> wrote in message
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> click wrote:
    >>> I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on
    >>> my ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from
    >>> dynamic drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below
    >>> have the same images and layout, but different scripts.
    >>> This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    >>> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    >>> This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    >>> perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    >>> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    >>> Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without
    >>> scrolling. Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on
    >>> say a 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as
    >>> they are? Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other
    >>> methods / scripts worth looking at.

    >> Works without JavaScript too. Impressed! I prefer the second one.

    > It uses Javascript - but what I can't figure is that with ie7, browsing
    > the page(s) on my HD, ie brings up a security warning. Browsing the same
    > on-line it doesn't. I think my security settings are 100% default, so I
    > have no idea why Microsoft would deem that html stored on a local drive
    > would be more of a potential threat than html on the www. No problems with
    > FF default settings.

    Boh pages work fine on Safari (prefer the second one btw) ... although very
    slow to load - on a 6.5Mb connection

    Gizmo., Jul 6, 2007
  13. click

    bugbear Guest

    click wrote:
    > I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on my
    > ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from dynamic
    > drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below have the
    > same images and layout, but different scripts.
    > This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    > This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    > perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    > Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without scrolling.
    > Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on say a 1280x1024
    > screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as they are?
    > Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    > scripts worth looking at.

    On the second (simpler) page, the images should definitely
    be PROGRESSIVE JPEG (normally a tick-box option
    when saving)

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jul 6, 2007
  14. Why doesn't the back button work?
    That was the first thing I tried to leave the picture...
    not I don't go looking for your close button, because
    every designers idea is different.

    On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person
    by the name of click exclaimed:
    > I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on my
    > ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from dynamic
    > drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below have the

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jul 6, 2007
  15. click

    click Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:39:43 +1200, in message <1183696452.241021@ftpsrv1>,
    > click wrote:
    >
    >> I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on my
    >> ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from dynamic
    >> drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below have the
    >> same images and layout, but different scripts.
    >> This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    >> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    >> This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    >> perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    >> http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    >> Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without scrolling.
    >> Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on say a
    >> 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as they are?
    >> Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    >> scripts worth looking at.

    > Both are really cool.
    >
    > Some comments
    >
    > 1. People *will* click on the thumb before the thumbs page has fully
    > loaded. If they do, the effects don't occur.

    Yes - I don't know if there's a way to work around that, but I have
    resaved the thumbnails at high compression reducing file size by 2/3, so
    at least the page should load faster.

    > 2. The grey semi-opaque layer only extends the width of the physical screen,
    > When I scroll right, I scroll past the its right-hand edge.

    So it does - I hadn't seen that. That overlay is resized to the window
    size on loading each image, but doesn't take into account if the table
    holding the thumbnails (or anything else on the page) exceeds page
    width. Darn it - there doesn't seem to be an easy fix - only to try to
    make sure on redesigns (if using this script) that nothing on the page
    exceeds typical browser width. Making the overlay larger would just
    force the browser to add scroll bars when they aren't needed.

    > 3. Many full-sized images are wider than the screen, and people
    > hate scrolling horizontally.
    >
    > 4. Start displaying the full picture immediately. People hate waiting.

    I agree, but unfortunately, the script relies on pre-loading images, so
    using progressive jpeg makes no difference. With broadband (locally -
    ie in NZ) the images and pages load fast, but apparently not from o/s.
    Now my broadband is throttled to 64kbps, they are taking 4-10 seconds to
    load - which is way too slow.

    Back to the drawing board I think. I'll see what else I can dig up and
    try again.

    click, Jul 6, 2007
  16. Ï "Pete D" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Not bad but I have a pretty fast connection (5Mbps) and wonder what it was
    > like on a slower one.

    I have a 768 kbps dsl and is so-so.(In greece).I like the first one
    better.Excellent picturs BTW.
    fer the second one by the way.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 6, 2007
  17. click

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:39:43 +1200, click wrote:

    > I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on my
    > ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from dynamic
    > drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below have the
    > same images and layout, but different scripts.
    > This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    > This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    > perhaps the transition effects do add something?

    Rather slow to load on my broadband - think about the poor suckers with
    dialup!

    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    > Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without scrolling.
    > Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on say a
    > 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as they are?
    > Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    > scripts worth looking at.

    Suggest you do both.

    ray, Jul 6, 2007
  18. click

    bugbear Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:39:43 +1200, click wrote:
    >> Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without scrolling.
    >> Should I resize them so they fit in a browser window on say a
    >> 1280x1024 screen, or should I forget about it and leave them as they are?
    >> Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other methods /
    >> scripts worth looking at.

    > Suggest you do both.

    Indeed. Viewing a website with some of M$oft browser
    can be horibly deceiving, since if a viewed image (not in a web page)
    is larger than the browser window, it scales it down.

    Many people are unaware of this, and post
    5 Mb imagefrom their cameras, 3000 (and up) pixel across,
    and don't realise that the picture's "too big"
    (in some meanings of "too big") since it
    "looks ok" on their machine.

    Blech.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jul 6, 2007
  19. click

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:47:07 +1200
    click <> wrote:

    > RL wrote:
    > > click wrote:
    > >> Thanks for any replies, including any suggestions for other
    > >> methods / scripts worth looking at.

    > > The first one looks a bit better, but is it all really necessary?
    > >
    > > What is wrong with a simple HTML page of thumbnails and links to
    > > the big images?
    > >
    > > You could use a simple server-side script to generate the pages
    > > dynamically, or just do it on your PC before you upload new images.
    > >

    > It's a simple "free" ISP provided webspace so AFAIK server-side
    > scripts aren't possible.
    > I think it's necessary to do something, because simple links navigate
    > way from the thumbnail index page, so if more than a few images are
    > browsed, then navigating back to the index becomes a paint in the
    > neck - either because the user closes a window (if the large images
    > are opened in new windows/tabs), or the user gets lost in
    > "back-forward" land.

    That's a bit of a stretch. The image pages are one step away from the
    index and it's trivial to put a "back to the index" link on each image
    page for users who are confused by "Back" and "Forward".

    > > If you resize them or not, depends on what you're trying to do.
    > > Personally I prefer having large images as they are more useful.
    > >
    > > I'm probably in the minority these days, but simple is better IMO.
    > >

    > I tried to keep it as simple as possible.

    I'm with RL. "As simple as possible" is a link to a JPEG file with no
    HTML around it at all. More pleasing presentation can be had by
    wrapping HTML around each image, with slight increase in complexity.
    Adding in Javascript is a big jump that risks problems on the user's
    end.

    Of the two designs you offered, I think I prefer the second. It
    distracts less from your images. (They're very nice, by the
    way. You see some of the same things I do, and you inspire me to
    get out and capture more.)

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Jul 6, 2007
  20. "click" <> wrote in message

    > I've been playing around with simple methods to display my images on my
    > ISP provided free site using javascript "lightbox" scripts from dynamic
    > drive. I welcome comments back about this. Both links below have the same
    > images and layout, but different scripts.
    > This one is a perhaps bit a bit over the top with transition effects:
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index.htm
    > This is simpler, but too easy perhaps to click on images to close, and
    > perhaps the transition effects do add something?
    > http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~tmg/christchurch/index2.htm
    > Some images are going to be taller than can be viewed without scrolling.

    I think I prefer the second one as it seems a bit faster to use, but I'm not
    keen on having fancy "loading" icons which spin etc. As a general rule I'd
    say simple=best. I've tried various gallery programmes to create HTML to
    use with my free webspace from my ISP and I have tried jalbum which is not
    bad, but it's quite fiddly to use with almost too many "options" to decide
    on. I have settled on the very basic HTML pages that Irfanviw creates,
    which are easy to tweak in notepad if necessary.

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Jul 6, 2007