    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

    Southern Kiwi, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
    not percentages.Either that or you have an image or two thats too big for
    800x600. Drop me a url or the source code of the page to
    and I'll see if I can help you.

    Brendon
    ps. Frontpage is not that bad....compared to Word!! :)

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
    half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
    How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
    vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
    (You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
    to own up to that)
    TIA

    Brendon Pascoe, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Southern Kiwi

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <RN_lb.188511$>,
    "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote:

    > Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
    > not percentages.

    I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
    scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
    that his tables are using percentages.

    *death to tables*
    - use css instead

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Brendon Guest

    IMO, I would use CSS and divs. If done properly, theres no way things should
    <get out of sync and look crappy.>
    A URL is still the most helpful in this situation.

    Brendon

    "madknoxie" <> wrote in message

    Brendon, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Southern Kiwi

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:52:58 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
    >to own up to that)
    >.

    Hell, I don't care who knows that I use Notepad. :eek:))
    HTML- Kit by Chami isn't a bad little editor and the price is right.

    http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

    Scroll bars will only appear if you have enough content and provided
    you haven't got scroll=no

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Southern Kiwi

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:15:03 +1300, Kookaburra
    <> wrote:

    >>(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
    >>to own up to that)
    >>.

    >Hell, I don't care who knows that I use Notepad. :eek:))
    >HTML- Kit by Chami isn't a bad little editor and the price is right.
    >
    >http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

    Sorry disregard the bit I put about scroll bars I didn't read your
    post properly.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Southern Kiwi

    moe Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:48:29 +1300, madknoxie
    <> wrote:

    >In article <RN_lb.188511$>,
    > "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
    >> not percentages.

    >I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
    >scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
    >that his tables are using percentages.
    >
    >*death to tables*
    > - use css instead

    any examples how one right align captions of form fields and left
    align the form elements/controls with css?

    moe

    moe, Oct 24, 2003
  8. Southern Kiwi

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    moe <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:48:29 +1300, madknoxie
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <RN_lb.188511$>,
    > > "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
    > >> not percentages.

    > >I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
    > >scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
    > >that his tables are using percentages.
    > >
    > >*death to tables*
    > > - use css instead

    > any examples how one right align captions of form fields and left
    > align the form elements/controls with css?

    Heh, smarty pants. As you probably know theres no easy way to do it as
    you would have with tables. You might be able to make an argument that
    the entire form is a data table or you could choose another layout
    format that will fit more easily with css.

    I usually just do something like this and then set padding-left for all
    my form inputs to 20px or something:

    <input type="text" name="name" value="" size="20 /></p>

    Can you see how that would look?

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Oct 25, 2003
  9. On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:52:58 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
    >half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
    >How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
    >vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
    >(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
    >to own up to that)
    >TIA

    You should make it for 800x600, having said that well over 90% of pc's
    will be using that rezollution with 1024x768.

    Cheeky Darkkie, Oct 25, 2003
  10. Southern Kiwi

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Cheeky Darkkie <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:52:58 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
    > <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
    > >half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
    > >How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
    > >vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
    > >(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
    > >to own up to that)
    > >TIA

    > You should make it for 800x600, having said that well over 90% of pc's
    > will be using that rezollution with 1024x768.

    I would argue that you shouldn't be making it for any particular
    resolution at all. Destop/laptop computers aren't the only browsing
    devices on the web.

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Oct 25, 2003
  11. On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:50:14 +1300, madknoxie wrote:

    > I would argue that you shouldn't be making it for any particular
    > resolution at all. Destop/laptop computers aren't the only browsing
    > devices on the web.

    If I find a website unnavigable with my ipaq (200*320) pixels, I don't
    usually bother with it....

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 26, 2003
  12. Southern Kiwi

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:41:17 +1300, madknoxie wrote:

    > Heh, smarty pants. As you probably know theres no easy way to do it as
    > you would have with tables. You might be able to make an argument that
    > the entire form is a data table or you could choose another layout
    > format that will fit more easily with css.

    Yep, using a table to layout a form is a bit of a grey area. There is a
    lot of validity in doing it that way though: using <th> for the label
    cells and <td> for the input cells keeps things 'semantically' valid.

    There is no problem using a table to layout items that have vertical as
    well as horizontal relationships to other items (ie a grid). The 'don't
    use tables' argument is meant for tables that have no relationship to the
    data and are just used for layout with nesting and a complex mess of
    row/colspans etc.

    You can (should?) also use the html <label> element for the labels.

    Here's an example form that doesn't use a table:
    http://www.julietremblay.com/site/contact.html

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 26, 2003
  13. Southern Kiwi

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:50:14 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
    >
    > > I would argue that you shouldn't be making it for any particular
    > > resolution at all. Destop/laptop computers aren't the only browsing
    > > devices on the web.

    > If I find a website unnavigable with my ipaq (200*320) pixels, I don't
    > usually bother with it....

    Can you take screenshots with it? I'd love to see what a website looks
    like on it, even if it was just something like hotmail.com. What
    websites do you usually visit with it?

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Oct 26, 2003
  14. Southern Kiwi

    T.N.O. Guest

    "madknoxie" wrote
    > I would argue that you shouldn't be making it for any particular
    > resolution at all. Destop/laptop computers aren't the only browsing
    > devices on the web.

    yeah, my cell phone only does 120x160

    T.N.O., Oct 26, 2003
  15. Southern Kiwi

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:41:17 +1300, madknoxie wrote:
    >
    > > Heh, smarty pants. As you probably know theres no easy way to do it as
    > > you would have with tables. You might be able to make an argument that
    > > the entire form is a data table or you could choose another layout
    > > format that will fit more easily with css.

    > Yep, using a table to layout a form is a bit of a grey area. There is a
    > lot of validity in doing it that way though: using <th> for the label
    > cells and <td> for the input cells keeps things 'semantically' valid.
    >
    > There is no problem using a table to layout items that have vertical as
    > well as horizontal relationships to other items (ie a grid). The 'don't
    > use tables' argument is meant for tables that have no relationship to the
    > data and are just used for layout with nesting and a complex mess of
    > row/colspans etc.
    >
    > You can (should?) also use the html <label> element for the labels.
    >
    > Here's an example form that doesn't use a table:
    > http://www.julietremblay.com/site/contact.html

    Thats pretty good. I just wound this which is a slightly different way:
    http://demo.octigon.com/websites/octigonXHTML/test.html

    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Oct 26, 2003
  16. On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:38:49 +1300, madknoxie wrote:

    > Can you take screenshots with it?

    Probably. I haven't bothered trying.

    > I'd love to see what a website looks
    > like on it

    Resize your browser windows appropriately and navigate.By the time the
    address bar is taken into account the viewable is more like 190 * 200
    pixels.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 26, 2003

    "Brendon Pascoe" <> wrote in message
    > Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
    > not percentages.Either that or you have an image or two thats too big for
    > 800x600. Drop me a url or the source code of the page to
    > and I'll see if I can help you.
    >
    > Brendon
    > ps. Frontpage is not that bad....compared to Word!! :)

    Sorry, the url is http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/kiwitechnz/kiwitechnz.htm
    I'm doing it in Word (for a start)
    I just (at this stage), want to know how to "freeze" the page and make
    scroll bars appear if all the pics don't fit in the window.
    PS: I am building another version of the site offline and want speed up the
    glitches as I can before I update it and go live again.
    TAI

    Southern Kiwi, Oct 27, 2003