    then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.

    Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)
    Bryn James, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Bryn James

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:10:13 GMT, Bryn James <>
    wrote:

    >I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    >digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    >rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    >then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    >revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >
    >Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    Nice one, but how can you tell it didn't go round three times?

    ....some of these digicams are *awfully slow*.

    I'd actually like to do this test on my DV camera, I am sure it's near
    a second and a half. But I don't know what a 'record turntable' is.

    You'd need to repeat the test 3 or more times to see what influence
    your own reaction time to trigger it has. Have 4 beers and repeat.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Bryn James

    Ben Rum Guest

    "Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    > I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    > digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    > rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    > then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    > revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >
    > Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    Digital camera & record turntable owners.. A bit of an oxymoron isn't it?
    (Superstar DJ's excluded)

    How do I do it with my MP3 player?
    Ben Rum, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Bryn James wrote:

    > I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and
    > focus lag on a digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record
    > turntable set to 33-1/3 rpm, and press the shutter button as the
    > arrow passes a given point, then check where the arrow shows
    > up on the digital picture. One revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms
    > per degree of rotation.

    Or use an analog stopwatch.
    Mickey Dunston, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Bryn James

    RustY© Guest

    "Ben Rum" <> wrote in message

    > How do I do it with my MP3 player?

    Get a friend to drop it off a multi story block and take a picture of it.
    Count how many floors down it has passed on the picture and do the maths.
    If you get it slightly wrong it won't make any difference.
    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
    RustY©, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Bryn James

    secheese Guest

    wrote:

    >I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    >digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    >rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    >then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    >revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >
    >Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    Easier to just read the spec sheet or review data.
    secheese, Dec 8, 2004
  7. Bryn James

    Dave Busch Guest

    wrote:

    >I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    >digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    >rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    >then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    >revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >
    >Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    http://www.shooting-digital.com/columns/schwartz/shutter_release_test/default.asp

    -------------------------------------
    Everything I know, and then some:
    http://www.auctionmyths.com
    Dave Busch, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Ben Rum wrote:
    > "Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    >> I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    >> digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to
    >> 33-1/3 rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given
    >> point, then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture.
    >> One revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >>
    >> Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    > Digital camera & record turntable owners.. A bit of an oxymoron isn't
    > it? (Superstar DJ's excluded)
    >
    > How do I do it with my MP3 player?

    MP3 will never be able to record the subtle nuance of an analog pickup
    needle on a CCD...
    Bob Harrington, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Bryn James

    secheese Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:19:07 GMT, Dave Busch
    <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:10:13 GMT, Bryn James <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    >>digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    >>rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    >>then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    >>revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >>
    >>Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    >http://www.shooting-digital.com/columns/schwartz/shutter_release_test/default.asp

    And it can't compensate for the brain to finger delay. I got 0.2 and
    1.0, but how much of that was my 44 yr old brain.
    secheese, Dec 8, 2004
  10. Bryn James

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:19:07 GMT, Dave Busch
    > <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> wrote:
    >
    > >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:10:13 GMT, Bryn James <>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    > >>digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    > >>rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    > >>then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    > >>revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    > >>
    > >>Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    > >http://www.shooting-digital.com/columns/schwartz/shutter_release_test/default.asp

    > And it can't compensate for the brain to finger delay. I got 0.2 and
    > 1.0, but how much of that was my 44 yr old brain.

    Probably a good deal less than the delay in my 59 YO brain/body.

    It does seem though to be a good thumbnail measurement for a
    photographer/camera combination.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 8, 2004
  11. Ben Rum wrote:
    > How do I do it with my MP3 player?

    Tie the MP3 player to a ceiling fan? ;-)

    - Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Bryn James

    Bryn James Guest

    Bryn James, Dec 8, 2004
  13. On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:59:26 -0000, "Ben Rum" <>
    wrote:

    >"Bryn James" <> wrote in message
    >> I saw a nice demo on TV of how to estimate shutter and focus lag on a
    >> digital camera: put a paper arrow on a record turntable set to 33-1/3
    >> rpm, and press the shutter button as the arrow passes a given point,
    >> then check where the arrow shows up on the digital picture. One
    >> revolution is 1.8 seconds, or 5ms per degree of rotation.
    >>
    >> Not as accurate as the pros might need, but cheap and simple :)

    >Digital camera & record turntable owners.. A bit of an oxymoron isn't it?
    >(Superstar DJ's excluded)
    >
    >How do I do it with my MP3 player?

    Simple, I used a ceiling fan with a mark on one of the four blades.
    Set it for a suitable speed, count the number of full revolutions over
    a precise time, then shoot the pic with that marked blade at the same
    spot, and average the angular change. Convert that to time.

    Olin McDaniel
    Olin K. McDaniel, Dec 16, 2004