    Should we go with BT's new hosted system or get own stuff?

    reagrds,

    ENIL
    Neil Jarman, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Neil Jarman

    PhilT Guest

    Neil Jarman wrote:

    > I need a eimple 2 line, 4 - 6 phone solution.
    > What can anyone suggest?

    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2869 plus
    some IP phones perhaps ?

    > Presently have two analog lines plus fax and Broadband.
    > Should we go with BT's new hosted system or get own stuff?

    do you specifically want VoIP lines or landlines ? uk.telecom for the
    latter.

    Phil
    PhilT, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Neil Jarman

    Neil Jarman Guest

    Hi Phil,

    Not sure what I want - is it best to stick to landlines or go for VOIP
    lines? If latter, do I need third party service to privide this?

    I have no experience with telephones, just computers.

    BT has tried to sell their hosted system, but required a 3 year contract.
    Also quite happy with current ISP.

    NEIL

    Neil Jarman, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Neil Jarman

    Tim Bray Guest

    Neil Jarman wrote:

    > Not sure what I want - is it best to stick to landlines or go for VOIP
    > lines? If latter, do I need third party service to privide this?

    Its a matter of what you want to do.

    > BT has tried to sell their hosted system, but required a 3 year contract.
    > Also quite happy with current ISP.

    3 years is a bit scary. I would suggest a voipfone or gradwell account
    if you want a completely hosted solution.

    Tim
    Tim Bray, Jun 7, 2006
  5. Neil Jarman

    PhilT Guest

    Neil Jarman wrote:

    > Not sure what I want - is it best to stick to landlines or go for VOIP
    > lines? If latter, do I need third party service to privide this?

    you'll need a service provider for incoming numbers from the PSTN,
    outgoing calls etc. http://www.gradwell.net/voip/ would be a place to
    start.

    > I have no experience with telephones, just computers.
    > BT has tried to sell their hosted system, but required a 3 year contract.
    > Also quite happy with current ISP.

    if its an ADSL ISP you'll be keeping one analogue phone line anyway,
    which is also handy for emergencies etc.

    You have the choice of using a VoIP PABX with an analogue line card and
    VoIP phones, or a classic small office PSTN PABX type system with one
    or more VoIP lines feeding into it as well as the analogue lines, or
    some sort of 3rd party "virtual PABX".

    Phil
    PhilT, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Neil Jarman

    Guest

    Neil Jarman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need a eimple 2 line, 4 - 6 phone solution.
    >
    > What can anyone suggest?
    >
    > Presently have two analog lines plus fax and Broadband.
    >
    > Should we go with BT's new hosted system or get own stuff?
    >
    > reagrds,
    >
    > ENIL

    Get yourself a BT revelation PABX , very cheap, a 2+6 config, and
    either a normal ADSL router and a draytel vigortalk adaptor, or a
    draytek 2800V router which has two voip lines, one or both of which can
    be fed into the revelation, as the revelation can be easily expandeded
    to 3+9. either /both voip lines can be allocated a geographic number of
    your choice. The revelation also allows the use of standard off the
    shelf phones. for your landline if Bulldog LLU is available in your
    area take that over a BT line for your ADSL as their 'double' upload
    bandwith of 512mb allows better quality on the voip lines.

    Regards, Keith (who has that combo working sweetly for customers)
    , Jun 8, 2006
  7. Neil Jarman

    Guest

    , Jun 8, 2006
  8. Neil Jarman

    Guest

    On 7 Jun 2006 23:25:18 -0700, wrote:

    >Get yourself a BT revelation PABX , very cheap, a 2+6 config

    No upgrade space there. I'd suggest a 3 x 8 PABX from Orchid
    Electronics instead. Cheaper and probably better.
    , Jun 8, 2006
  9. Neil Jarman

    Neil Jarman Guest

    Thanks for all your answers