    LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

    -G
    , Oct 17, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
    > update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
    > slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
    > LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

    Could it me that you're drunk? You're talking unrelated nonsense. What
    about telling us what kind of security problems you like to address with
    which concepts, how you did before, etc.

    Blocking a specific address on a LAN would suggest a packet filter,
    blocking Java would suggest sticking your head in the manual of your
    webbrowser, blocking the execution of programs would suggest the Software
    Restriction Policies on Windows XP.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:00:33 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    <> brought the following to our attention:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
    >> update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
    >> slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
    >> LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

    >Could it me that you're drunk? You're talking unrelated nonsense. What
    >about telling us what kind of security problems you like to address with
    >which concepts, how you did before, etc.

    Nope.. not drunk, and not an expert either.

    >Blocking a specific address on a LAN would suggest a packet filter,
    >blocking Java would suggest sticking your head in the manual of your
    >webbrowser, blocking the execution of programs would suggest the
    >Software Restriction Policies on Windows XP.

    First off, I need to block an IP on the 192 subnet.. everything from
    that machine. But not sure it if can still (try to) use Windows network
    protocols over the Ethernet. However I have TWO NICs in a few
    machines with a small private LAN in this one-room office. :)

    Secondly, would like to have control over which EXE has WAN
    access / traffic. Also would like control over Scripts and binary
    executables (that would be Java Applets and ActiveX)

    -
    , Oct 17, 2006
  4. wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:00:33 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk
    > <> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to dump (uninstall) my old security software mainly since it's
    >>> update subscription has expired, but also since it seems to choke or
    >>> slow browsing. Need specifically to BLOCK (totally) a specific IP on the
    >>> LAN. Kindly comment on this. Also maybe block java, and EXEs, etc.

    >>Could it me that you're drunk? You're talking unrelated nonsense. What
    >>about telling us what kind of security problems you like to address with
    >>which concepts, how you did before, etc.

    > Nope.. not drunk, and not an expert either.
    >
    >>Blocking a specific address on a LAN would suggest a packet filter,
    >>blocking Java would suggest sticking your head in the manual of your
    >>webbrowser, blocking the execution of programs would suggest the
    >>Software Restriction Policies on Windows XP.

    > First off, I need to block an IP on the 192 subnet.. everything from
    > that machine. But not sure it if can still (try to) use Windows network
    > protocols over the Ethernet.

    When restricting to SMB-only, you may try carefully denying IP broadcasts..
    anyway else, you need to filter by MAC rather than by IP.

    > However I have TWO NICs in a few
    > machines with a small private LAN in this one-room office. :)

    OK, what about more details about your infrastructure?

    > Secondly, would like to have control over which EXE has WAN
    > access / traffic.

    Yes, many people have such a wish, but it doesn't make it any more
    realistic. IPC is simply too powerful, so one program can remotely control
    another programs that has already been allowed. Better avoid running any
    non-whitelisted executables in first place!

    > Also would like control over Scripts and binary executables
    > (that would be Java Applets and ActiveX)

    ActiveX, at least when it comes to COM controls, is an integral part of
    Windows. I guess you mean ActiveX as a plugin structure for MSIE? Simply
    said, MSIE even without ActiveX is a super-stupid idea, so if you're using
    it, dump that immediately. And for Mozilla, you'd be required to explicitly
    install the ActiveX plugin and explicitly allow specific controls.

    For Java, the very same things applies. If you don't want to execute any
    Java applications, simply don't install Java or deny running the Java VM
    binaries. For Java applets embedded in the browser, you can use the
    browser's configuration or simply not install Java.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Oct 17, 2006