    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
    > If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
    > the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
    >
    > Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
    >
    > Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
    > desktop doesn't have to be on.

    Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
    what the question is.

    Okay its two questions so the first.
    In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
    ethernet with the wireless router.

    Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
    to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
    the desktop has to be running to share the modem

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Southern Kiwi

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    > Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
    > > If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
    > > the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
    > >
    > > Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
    > >
    > > Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
    > > desktop doesn't have to be on.
    > >

    > Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
    > what the question is.
    >
    > Okay its two questions so the first.
    > In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
    > ethernet with the wireless router.
    >
    > Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
    > to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
    > the desktop has to be running to share the modem

    except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
    modem built into it and has dial on demand
    whoisthis, Nov 17, 2004
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >
    >> Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
    >> > If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection
    >> > with
    >> > the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
    >> >
    >> > Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
    >> >
    >> > Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router
    >> > so the
    >> > desktop doesn't have to be on.
    >> >

    >> Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
    >> what the question is.
    >>
    >> Okay its two questions so the first.
    >> In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
    >> ethernet with the wireless router.
    >>
    >> Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
    >> to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
    >> the desktop has to be running to share the modem

    > except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
    > modem built into it and has dial on demand

    Why does it only work with a Mac ?
    Alex Axolotl, Nov 17, 2004
  5. whoisthis wrote:
    > except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
    > modem built into it and has dial on demand

    there is no need to run a mac, if you mean the "airport" one, it is
    plain old 802.11b with a marketing name slapped on it.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl wrote:
    >>except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
    >>modem built into it and has dial on demand

    > Why does it only work with a Mac ?

    it doesnt, see my post.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  7. whoisthis said the following on 18/11/2004 08:05:
    > In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Southern Kiwi said the following on 17/11/2004 16:27:
    >>
    >>>If I get a wireless router, can I use it to share a dialup connection with
    >>>the desktop and my laptop.? (Broadband later)
    >>>
    >>>Currently Ethernet laptop to desktop using modem in desktop to ICS
    >>>
    >>>Want to go wireless between laptop/desktop and preferably have router so the
    >>>desktop doesn't have to be on.
    >>>

    >>Let me see how to answer this, first I suppose I should work out just
    >>what the question is.
    >>
    >>Okay its two questions so the first.
    >>In the case where you have desktop laptop you can simply replace your
    >>ethernet with the wireless router.
    >>
    >>Now if you get broadband using the wireless router yes you will be able
    >>to have the desktop off and still get internet, but if using the modem
    >>the desktop has to be running to share the modem

    > except if you runs Mac, then you can get a wirelss hub which has a 56k
    > modem built into it and has dial on demand

    Yes you can get them for PC as well, but the cost is prohibitive
    generally which is why I didnt bother to include it in my answer.
    There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
    worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
    > worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

    tits and a bull?
    tits are useful
    bulls are useful

    I think you meant "as useful as tits on a bull"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 18/11/2004 13:03:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
    >> worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

    > tits and a bull?
    > tits are useful
    > bulls are useful
    >
    > I think you meant "as useful as tits on a bull"

    Yep another arthritic typo only it was the brain this time not the hands.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 18, 2004
  10. Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
    >>> worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

    >> I think you meant "as useful as tits on a bull"

    > Yep another arthritic typo only it was the brain this time not the hands.

    ahhh, a "think-o"
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 18, 2004
  11. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 18 Nov 2004
    12:03:00 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...

    > Yes you can get them for PC as well, but the cost is prohibitive
    > generally which is why I didnt bother to include it in my answer.
    > There is always someone who just has to disagree or add a two pennys
    > worth thats is about as useful as tits and a bull.

    That depends. A farmer might find a bull very useful
    As for the other one, I guess it depends on your perspective of life :)
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 18, 2004
  12. Southern Kiwi

    joechan Guest

    get a Netgear Wireless Modem Gateway which has the ADSL modem, router
    and gateway which will plug into phone line one end and your computer
    with a wire or wirelessly. There are 4 other wireless stations on the
    Netgear which will connect to your laptops or your other computer
    wirelessly in other rooms or lawn. No need to switch on your computer as
    teh modem connects to any computer. Bought a refurbished Netgear 824
    with b. (slower) in USA for US$59.00. try www.outpost.com or
    www.epinion.com for the 834 model.
    joechan, Nov 23, 2004
  13. "joechan" <> wrote in message
    > get a Netgear Wireless Modem Gateway which has the ADSL modem, router
    > and gateway which will plug into phone line one end and your computer
    > with a wire or wirelessly. There are 4 other wireless stations on the
    > Netgear which will connect to your laptops or your other computer
    > wirelessly in other rooms or lawn. No need to switch on your computer as
    > teh modem connects to any computer. Bought a refurbished Netgear 824
    > with b. (slower) in USA for US$59.00. try www.outpost.com or
    > www.epinion.com for the 834 model.

    ? Thanks for the reply Joe, however as stated in previous posts I already
    *have* an ADSL modem with built in wireless router, I don't really want to
    buy another!
    I would prefer to configure the hardware I already own properly rather than
    give up and start again!

    *UPDATE*
    I have everything working now, the solution was.....
    Allow the Router to assign IP's (This configured the network well with full
    functionality, but killed any option of using Microsoft's ICS as it requires
    specific IP on the hosts computer)
    Installed WinGate to handle ICS.

    I can now roam around the house/grounds while still connected to everything!
    YEHAAAA
    And it only took about 9 hours of hair pulling!
    Southern Kiwi, Nov 23, 2004