    Messages:
    1
    I'm new to the router scene... I have DSL internet hooked up to my main PC (Windows XP) and I want to set up an older computer (Windows ME) to also get online wirelessly, however the 2nd computer does not have a wireless card installed in it - so I bought a NetGear RangeMax Wireless Router WPN824 and a NetGear Wireless Adapter WPN111 (to plug into a USB). Will this work or do I still need to install a wireless card (or whatever?) on the older computer? Don't know what to do... thanks for any help!!
    mimiL, Jun 26, 2006

  2. mimiL

    camilinksys

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2006
    Messages:
    6
    router & adapter setup

    From the moment you've bought a router that's both wireless and wired (check on the back whether it has the plugs for a wired pc... if they're there) both computers should work.
    You should start by setting up the router's internet configuration; meaning you should wire your main pc to the router, and the router to the modem

    modem----router----PC

    once you do so, reboot the pc and access the router's web based interface (open a browser window such as internet explorer and, in the address bar type in the router's IP address: it could be 192.168.1.1 , 192.168.0.1 or even 192.168.2.1 depending on the brand. find out on your user's manual).

    generally you will be asked for a password --this should be " admin " and there would be no user name, but again: check that in the router's instructions.

    once you see the interface, select your internet connection type (DSL is generally PPPoE) and type in your username and password your provider's given you.

    save the settings and this should do for the internet working wirelessly.

    the next step is configuring the wireless network: go to the wireless tab, choose an SSID (this will be the name you give the network), change the channel to 11 (there's less interference in this frequency), make sure the wireless broadcat is enabled and saave the settings again.

    just install the card (for Windows ME, first the drivers and then the physical card) and try to connect.

    if you have doubts on how to connect please check my answer to the question entitled "cannot associate with the AP, no SP2". my article iss the one called "you are currently connected to the Access Point but the Internet cannot be found".

    I hope this is clear enough to be of use!
    camilinksys, Jul 3, 2006