Simple question (I think)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ed Johnson, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Ed Johnson

    Ed Johnson Guest

    I have a Nikon 5700 that I use for remote photography of animals. It
    is triggered by a motion detector. I find that the Nikon 5700 will not
    work very well when the LCD is off.(Over an 8 second lag between
    triggering and taking the picture.)

    With the LCD on, it works acceptably well - just over one second.

    My question is: will it harm the LCD to be on for extended periods?
    Like overnight, two or three times a week?

    The 5700 normally can't turn the LCD off - just switch between the
    "picture panel" LCD and the electronic viewfinder. Using the proper
    serial port command however, I CAN turn both off, but I can't live
    with the lag.

    I'm assuming that the electronic viewfinder is more expensive to
    replace than the LCD, so I'm I'm using the LCD.

    ....Ed....

    Ed Johnson, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Ed Johnson

    Donald Gray Guest

    On 2 Nov 2003 20:04:20 -0800, (Ed Johnson)
    wrote:

    >I have a Nikon 5700 that I use for remote photography of animals. It
    >is triggered by a motion detector. I find that the Nikon 5700 will not
    >work very well when the LCD is off.(Over an 8 second lag between
    >triggering and taking the picture.)

    read the book and check that the 'Red Eye' is off. I have recently had
    such a delay when taking some press photos. I thought I had wasted my
    money till I discovered the red eye feature. Also experiment with
    manual focus. This will remove the small delay whilst lens tries to
    focus.

    Could it be that there is no ambient light for the camera to focus on?

    >With the LCD on, it works acceptably well - just over one second.

    Cant answer that one!
    >My question is: will it harm the LCD to be on for extended periods?
    >Like overnight, two or three times a week?
    >
    >The 5700 normally can't turn the LCD off - just switch between the
    >"picture panel" LCD and the electronic viewfinder. Using the proper
    >serial port command however, I CAN turn both off, but I can't live
    >with the lag.
    >
    >I'm assuming that the electronic viewfinder is more expensive to
    >replace than the LCD, so I'm I'm using the LCD.

    Nor these - Not enough experience with digicams but suggest that you d
    a search on the net for things like: "lcd life expectancy" or "lcd
    specifications" etc and see if there tecspecs out there...

    whatever, good luck.

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Ed Johnson

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ed Johnson <> wrote:
    >I have a Nikon 5700 that I use for remote photography of animals. It
    >is triggered by a motion detector. I find that the Nikon 5700 will not
    >work very well when the LCD is off.(Over an 8 second lag between
    >triggering and taking the picture.)
    >
    >With the LCD on, it works acceptably well - just over one second.
    >
    >My question is: will it harm the LCD to be on for extended periods?
    >Like overnight, two or three times a week?

    There is lamp used to illuminate the LCD display. The more it's on
    the sooner it will burn out.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Nov 4, 2003
  4. On 2 Nov 2003 20:04:20 -0800, (Ed Johnson)
    wrote:

    >The 5700 normally can't turn the LCD off - just switch between the
    >"picture panel" LCD and the electronic viewfinder. Using the proper

    Plug a cable into the video-out. Both the EVF and LCD are turned
    off.

    --
    - Lee

    Lee Lindquist, Nov 6, 2003