    2 or does it slide down to ethernet 3 and the top slot becomes
    ethernet 2?

    thanks for any info

    jonnah, Oct 13, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    jonnah <> wrote:
    :pix 515e documentation says that it can support up to 6 ethernet
    :connections...
    :there are 2 slots available on the pix, and u can purchase a 1-port
    :ethernet interface card or a 4-port interface card, meaning if you buy
    :a 4 port can and insert it to the first slot (top slot), then
    :basically, your bottom slot is useless?

    Sounds about right.

    :also, what happens if we did not follow normal port nomenclature and
    :installed an interface on the bottom slot first and then on the top
    :slot next? i.e. we installed a 1-port interface card on the bottom
    :slot first (named ethernet 2)? and then installed a 1-port interface
    :card on the top slot next, does the bottom slot remain named ethernet
    :2 or does it slide down to ethernet 3 and the top slot becomes
    :ethernet 2?

    When you boot up with the new hardware configuration, the system
    is not going to have any memory of how your hardware was configured
    last time around. The result will thus be whatever it would have been
    had you installed into the other slot first.
    --
    Tenser, said the Tensor.
    Tenser, said the Tensor.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 13, 2004

  3. jonnah

    jonnah Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<cki5ee$mtf$>...
    > In article <>,
    > jonnah <> wrote:
    > :pix 515e documentation says that it can support up to 6 ethernet
    > :connections...
    > :there are 2 slots available on the pix, and u can purchase a 1-port
    > :ethernet interface card or a 4-port interface card, meaning if you buy
    > :a 4 port can and insert it to the first slot (top slot), then
    > :basically, your bottom slot is useless?
    >
    > Sounds about right.
    >

    > :also, what happens if we did not follow normal port nomenclature and
    > :installed an interface on the bottom slot first and then on the top
    > :slot next? i.e. we installed a 1-port interface card on the bottom
    > :slot first (named ethernet 2)? and then installed a 1-port interface
    > :card on the top slot next, does the bottom slot remain named ethernet
    > :2 or does it slide down to ethernet 3 and the top slot becomes
    > :ethernet 2?
    >
    > When you boot up with the new hardware configuration, the system
    > is not going to have any memory of how your hardware was configured
    > last time around. The result will thus be whatever it would have been
    > had you installed into the other slot first.

    ok. meaning the top slot becomes ethernet 2 and the bottom slot
    becomes ethernet 3....

    jonnah, Oct 13, 2004