    broadband. What is the simplest way to directly network these
    computers?

    TIA

    T A R T, Aug 23, 2005

  2. T A R T

    Thor Guest

    T A R T wrote:

    > My husband has bought a new computer and we have decided to network
    > his old laptop and this new computer. Both computers have network
    > cards and are connected directly to a router which provides us with
    > broadband. What is the simplest way to directly network these
    > computers?
    >

    > TIA

    Is it a multiport router then just plug the new one in with a cable. If
    it's only a single port router/modem then you need a crossover cable
    between the two computers and internet sharing enabled on the one connected
    to the router.

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor

    Thor, Aug 23, 2005

  3. T A R T

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:41:11 +1200, Thor wrote:

    > Is it a multiport router then just plug the new one in with a cable. If
    > it's only a single port router/modem then you need a crossover cable
    > between the two computers and internet sharing enabled on the one connected
    > to the router.

    Or, get a hub and plug the two PC's in to it as well as the output from
    the router. Straight ethernet cables.

    Gordon, Aug 23, 2005
  4. T A R T

    steve Guest

    T A R T wrote:

    > My husband has bought a new computer and we have decided to network
    > his old laptop and this new computer. Both computers have network
    > cards and are connected directly to a router which provides us with
    > broadband. What is the simplest way to directly network these
    > computers?
    >

    > TIA

    That should be it.

    Just make sure you both have the same workgroup name for windews networking,
    then share some resources (a directory with some files - or maybe a
    printer)...and see if the other person can see it.

    Your Windows firewall should take care of the firewall security aspect
    automagically when you attempt to use one of the visible shares (one would
    hope).

    steve, Aug 23, 2005
  5. T A R T

    Enkidu Guest

    T A R T wrote:

    > My husband has bought a new computer and we have
    > decided to network his old laptop and this new
    > computer. Both computers have network cards and
    > are connected directly to a router which provides
    > us with broadband. What is the simplest way to
    > directly network these computers?

    What exactly do you want to do? If both computers can access
    the Internet it is very likely that they have addresses
    assigned by your router and can already "network".

    Try opening your "My Network Place", and "Entire Network",
    and "Microsoft Windows Network" and see what you see. I
    assume XP. The names of the icons will be different if you
    use some other Operating System, probably.

    If you want to get technical, open a Command Prompt, type
    "ipconfig" and report what you see, in particular, the IP
    addresses on both machines.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 23, 2005
  6. T A R T

    Phstpok Guest

    www.wown.com

    Phstpok, Aug 23, 2005
  7. T A R T

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Phstpok <> wrote in news::

    >> T A R T wrote:
    >> >

    >>> My husband has bought a new computer and we have

    >> > decided to network his old laptop and this new
    >> > computer. Both computers have network cards and
    >> > are connected directly to a router which provides
    >> > us with broadband. What is the simplest way to
    >> > directly network these computers?

    > www.wown.com

    Great resource. Lot of good tips in there. We can point n00bs there.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 23, 2005
  8. T A R T

    T A R T Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:45:45 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >What exactly do you want to do?

    We want to share files

    > If both computers can access
    >the Internet it is very likely that they have addresses
    >assigned by your router and can already "network".
    >
    >Try opening your "My Network Place", and "Entire Network",
    >and "Microsoft Windows Network" and see what you see. I
    >assume XP. The names of the icons will be different if you
    >use some other Operating System, probably.
    >
    >If you want to get technical, open a Command Prompt, type
    >"ipconfig" and report what you see, in particular, the IP
    >addresses on both machines.

    Thanks for the help.

    T A R T, Aug 25, 2005