Simple Network

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brian Dooley, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Brian Dooley

    Brian Dooley Guest

    Our house has just gone 'hi-speed'.

    We had two phone lines and two PCs before, but now we have the
    same two PCs (Windows XP Home Edition and Windows 98 SE) and a
    hi-speed connection (which works) and we want to net the '98 to
    the XP.

    Both machines appear to have network cards, because I can
    recognise the Ethernet sockets, and I have a Cat 6 cable.

    What else do I need, and is there a simple step by step procedure
    I can follow to bring it up?

    I can't get the Wizard to work or I wouldn't be doing this, and I
    don't want to start learning the basics - it's been too long.

    RGDS and TIA
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Brian Dooley wrote:
    > Our house has just gone 'hi-speed'.
    >
    > We had two phone lines and two PCs before, but now we have the
    > same two PCs (Windows XP Home Edition and Windows 98 SE) and a
    > hi-speed connection (which works) and we want to net the '98 to
    > the XP.
    >
    > Both machines appear to have network cards, because I can
    > recognise the Ethernet sockets, and I have a Cat 6 cable.
    >
    > What else do I need, and is there a simple step by step procedure
    > I can follow to bring it up?
    >
    > I can't get the Wizard to work or I wouldn't be doing this, and I
    > don't want to start learning the basics - it's been too long.
    >
    > RGDS and TIA

    You need to supply a little more info.

    Such as do you have a hub/switch/router. If you have ADSL you may have a router
    with several ports in which case you task is easy, if not you will need either
    a hub (if your broadband is ethernet based to your computer) or a cross over
    cable if your broadband is USB based to your computer.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Brian Dooley

    steve Guest

    Brian Dooley wrote:

    > Our house has just gone 'hi-speed'.
    >
    > We had two phone lines and two PCs before, but now we have the
    > same two PCs (Windows XP Home Edition and Windows 98 SE) and a
    > hi-speed connection (which works) and we want to net the '98 to
    > the XP.
    >
    > Both machines appear to have network cards, because I can
    > recognise the Ethernet sockets, and I have a Cat 6 cable.
    >
    > What else do I need, and is there a simple step by step procedure
    > I can follow to bring it up?
    >
    > I can't get the Wizard to work or I wouldn't be doing this, and I
    > don't want to start learning the basics - it's been too long.
    >
    > RGDS and TIA

    If you're on the high speed as ADSL with a router...then the router probably
    has a couple of ethernet ports in it and you would just plug both PCs into
    it.

    If one is too far away, you could plug a wireless access poit into the
    router and then put a wireless card in the far away PC....and connect thay
    way.

    This is what I do at my house.

    The DSE ADSL router has my (linux) mail server in one ethernet port and a
    DSE wireless access point in another. The other 4 systems (3 x Linux, 1 x
    WinXP) talk to the access point via wireless....and thus to the router and
    the Internet.

    The router saves messing around with Microsoft's connection sharing.

    steve, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Brian Dooley

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > This is what I do at my house.
    >
    > The DSE ADSL router has my (linux) mail server in one ethernet port and a
    > DSE wireless access point in another. The other 4 systems (3 x Linux, 1 x
    > WinXP) talk to the access point via wireless....and thus to the router and
    > the Internet.
    >
    > The router saves messing around with Microsoft's connection sharing.

    .....and they can talk to each other, of course....as the laser printer is on
    one of the Linux systems and the others print to it over the (wireless)
    network.

    steve, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Brian Dooley

    Daver Guest

    First thing is ensure your cable is a crossover cable. On the basis of your
    description I'm assuming your high speed connection is connected via a usb
    port.

    Daver, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Brian Dooley

    thing Guest

    Brian Dooley wrote:
    > Our house has just gone 'hi-speed'.
    >
    > We had two phone lines and two PCs before, but now we have the
    > same two PCs (Windows XP Home Edition and Windows 98 SE) and a
    > hi-speed connection (which works) and we want to net the '98 to
    > the XP.
    >
    > Both machines appear to have network cards, because I can
    > recognise the Ethernet sockets, and I have a Cat 6 cable.
    >
    > What else do I need, and is there a simple step by step procedure
    > I can follow to bring it up?
    >
    > I can't get the Wizard to work or I wouldn't be doing this, and I
    > don't want to start learning the basics - it's been too long.
    >
    > RGDS and TIA

    We need to know what sort of high speed device ie how it connects to the
    XP computer.

    Firstly, login to windows update and patch the XP box...then

    There are several possibilities,

    Ethernet connection, but since it sounds like the XP's NIC is still
    free, I suspect not, you probably have an internal ADSL or USB ADSL
    device. If so go to DSE and get a ethernet crossover cable.

    On the XP box set its IP on the NIC to 192.168.10.1 and on the 98 box
    set its IP to 192.168.10.2, with (on the 98 box only) set a default
    gateway/route of 192.168.10.1

    Both machines need a netmask of 255.255.255.0, and a network address of
    192.168.10.0, broadcast if its asks is 192.168.10.255.

    You should now open a cmd window on the XP box and type ping
    192.168.10.2 you should get 4 replies and zero loss, if you get 100%
    loss something is wrong.

    If so,

    Check each NIC, hopefully next to the jack plug you will see a lit up
    green or orange (or both colours) LED on both NICS. If so the hardware
    is probably OK.

    If not you may need to load the NIC driver, this is usually supplied on
    a floppy with the NIC.

    At this stage you should have a working internal network. On the XP box
    under the network settings you need to look for a small box (which you
    click/tick) into to turn ip forwarding on.

    You should now be able to ping from the 98 box onto the Internet.

    Next I suggest getting a firewall for the XP box like zone alarm, it
    will save your life.

    Finally login to windows update on the 98 box and patch it.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Brian Dooley

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:12:15 +1200, Brian Dooley
    <> wrote:

    >Our house has just gone 'hi-speed'.

    snip---

    First off, thanks to the people who replied. I was offered help
    by email.

    I didn't mention that we have a cable system ex-Saturn, and that
    the connection from modem to 'master' PC is USB.

    No joy as yet because it looks as though the software associated
    with the 'slave' PC is broken.

    We can ping 'master'->'slave'.

    We cannot ping 'slave'->'master'.

    We cannot browse 'master' from 'slave'

    We have replaced the network adapter and it made no difference.

    We connected cable modem to 'slave' with 10BaseT and no joy.

    Still working.

    Rgds all.

    --

    Brian Dooley