    gateways portal.....

    TIA

    LarryINmich

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=, Nov 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=

    Frankster Guest

    You need a wired/wireless router.

    DSLmodem to the router. Router to both the computers.

    You can pick one up at your nearest computer store for $69. Netgear usually
    works good with Comcast "right out of the box" (usually the default IPs are
    satisfactory and compatible with a Comcast modem). Basically, no config
    required.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 7, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=

    AJR Guest

    or - install wireless card (consider USB) on Gateway - set up ICS.

    AJR, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Hi
    The content of the following links can serve as a basic tutorial concerning
    Sharing Internet, and using Wireless; it is short and to the point.
    The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
    and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
    still the same.
    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    The whole thing should like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Wireless hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    Wireless, Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 7, 2006
  5. Thanks all, will check it out and maybe try that $69 item, but it better not
    end up like my unopened USB 60meg HD!!!!! for 3 months....
    From what I have been reading both devices have to talk (handshake?) in
    order for them to communicate....
    My son was never able to get a household wireless network going, hope my
    luck will be better. And better than the chaos I had with WMM, but when its
    right its right...

    L.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Hmmm maybe I M missing something here. With the laptop having Wifi, all I
    need to utilize the web when the Gateway is connected thru the cable modem,
    is to equip the Gateway with, say, a USB wifi adapter???
    After some browsing I find that all is not rosy in the wireless world, esp
    with a new standard in interim form.My Computer Shopper has only $150 and up
    routers reviewed, even they have various foul ups.

    So if I will be able to browse the web by using my Toshiba with its
    builtin wifi, thru my Gateway, isn't this the low dollar AND goof proof
    solution???

    Gracias

    LarryINmichigan

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=, Nov 8, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=

    onclejon Guest

    Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot open shared files

    Jack

    After I installed IE7 I renewed the network with Netgear Rangemax
    router(connected to cable modem) netgear wireless adapter for the notebook.
    I have set up wireless network following your guide with simple file sharing
    enabled at both ends. ZoneAlarm Security Suite is installed similarly
    configured :
    1 -Desktop (Copsehill)connects to Internet OK
    2- Desktop connects to Notebook(Francoise) OK and opens shared files
    3 Notebook (Francoise) connects to Internet OK. The Copsehill shared files
    are shown correctly in My Network places in the Internet Section
    4 But the notebook cannot connect to the Desktop. Instead Notebook
    (Francoise) connects to Desktop (Copsehill), finds places and files but
    fails to open them with the error message

    \\CopseHill\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource.

    I have worked through the settings guide but am unable to resolve this
    problem.
    Can you help
    --
    John

    onclejon, Nov 10, 2006
  8. Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot op

    Hellllll0000000000 out there. Anyone have answers?
    I posted a second requrest vis a vis using 'standard' wireless setup? The
    posts get Greekier and Geekier and I am a PNP person,
    ah LUVS mah USB drive that also serves as a keychain pendant..... THATS
    modern computer technology.
    The rest of all this is technospeak with spend all your spare time
    researching and trying and playing show and tell via the web pages.
    Do we REALLY have answers here or only more questions and time killers....
    Color me S a D d

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=, Nov 10, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=

    onclejon Guest

    Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot op

    Larry

    I have a setup like yours. I have a Netgear WNR834B Rangemax router to which
    the cable modem is attached as is the PC. The notebook has a Netgear
    Rangemax notebook adapter WNS11B. This works OK except I have a problem with
    the note book not accessing the shared files in PC tho' it accesses the
    Internet fine.

    Whole setup cost about $140.
    John
    > Hellllll0000000000 out there. Anyone have answers?
    > I posted a second requrest vis a vis using 'standard' wireless setup?
    > The
    > posts get Greekier and Geekier and I am a PNP person,
    > ah LUVS mah USB drive that also serves as a keychain pendant..... THATS
    > modern computer technology.
    > The rest of all this is technospeak with spend all your spare time
    > researching and trying and playing show and tell via the web pages.
    > Do we REALLY have answers here or only more questions and time killers....
    > Color me S a D d

    John

    onclejon, Nov 10, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=

    Frankster Guest

    Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot op

    Your answer was in your first reply, by me. Buy a $69 router and do it the
    right way. Simple, painless.

    Frankster, Nov 10, 2006
  11. Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot op

    Your replies are definately appreciated. HOWEVER
    one replyee has both the laptop and the desktop with the same brand of gear,
    minimizing goofs and incompatability. The first person with the $69 router I
    M glad it works but...
    Note I have a Toshiba convertible. Tosh is evidently not overly compatible
    unless , unless what? I bot a USB IR dongle and after extensive work find
    the fine print in toshiba help site that they dont recommend them. Wanna
    IRDA dongle cheap?
    I researched user responses to various Routers, and find MANY have a useless
    critter. COnversely the $150 and up items were much more useful...
    So far I have spent too much time investigating cause have been burned by
    enough hi tech doo dahs that need someone with unlimited time and budget to
    play lets buy and swap and return until something works...

    Guess since I can use my Tosh wireless at Paneras, I thot the best way is
    simply same wireless setup via USB wireless adapter.

    Cheers. Isnt this hi tech wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having earned
    my three score and ten yrs on this planet, I may never know if it will work.
    tick tick tick....

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=, Nov 11, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=

    Frankster Guest

    Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot op

    > Your replies are definately appreciated.

    Thank you. Comes from 20 years doing computer system engineering.

    > HOWEVER

    Ahh....

    > one replyee has both the laptop and the desktop with the same
    > brand of gear, minimizing goofs and incompatability.

    Don't fall into the trap of believing wireless compatilbity is like
    repairing a washing machine. Matching the same "brand of gear" just doesn't
    matter. More imporant is the generation of gear. They need to support the
    same standards.

    > Note I have a Toshiba convertible. Tosh is evidently not overly
    > compatible
    > unless , unless what?

    The wireless function in a Toshiba is fully compatible with the wireless
    equipment on the market today.

    > I bot a USB IR dongle and after extensive work find the fine print in
    > toshiba help site that they dont recommend them.

    Of course not. USB is the worst networking option on any system. Not just
    Toshiba. Routine stuff. UTP (also called Cat-V, also called Ethernet) is the
    best and most compatible method (used in the $69 router I recommended).

    > Wanna IRDA dongle cheap?

    Nope.

    > I researched user responses to various Routers, and find MANY
    > have a useless critter.

    Huh?

    > COnversely the $150 and up items were much more useful.

    Go here... $49.00.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...outer&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1051826245223

    > Guess since I can use my Tosh wireless at Paneras,
    > I thot the best way is simply same wireless setup via
    > USB wireless adapter.

    Well, in technical terms... USB networking sucks! :)

    > Having earned my three score and ten yrs on this planet,
    > I may never know if it will work. tick tick tick....

    I'm only at 2 score and 19 myself. LOL!

    -Frank

    Frankster, Nov 11, 2006
  13. Re: simple net- cablemodem to desktop to laptop: laptop doesnot op

    Sheesh, its a Looooong way to Tipparrey.
    So here I post, thinking the routers were another point on the compass of
    web communication. However I finally got it thru me skull that we R talking
    plain ole 803g,b,e whatever????? Looks like I will simply take the plunge,
    tho not sure my Gateway has any spare slots for a card. Hence the ref to USB
    device.... It may be a month before I toy with all this no pun intended,
    will post back when it all happens. Someones reference I think to
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    would have put me straight.

    LATER

    L.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlJTm1pY2g=?=, Nov 12, 2006