Simple Low Level Light Autofocus Assist (Fuji et al)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt Arnold, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Matt Arnold

    Matt Arnold Guest

    Hi,

    After a few months experimenting with different torches (home made /
    commercial, bulb / LED, red / green / white), I've finally managed to track
    down a torch that enables the autofocus mechanism on my cam (Fuji 6900Z) to
    function in low light levels!!! It'll work for the 4900Z and will enhance
    the s602's ability also. A big plus is there's no electronics skills
    required - YAY!

    The V1 Power Lenser torch seems to be the best all rounder I've tested. It's
    small, easily attachable to the camera body, has a temporary / permanent
    switch on / off function and produces one of the most intense beams of light
    (non laser - for safety reasons).

    You can either hold it in one hand while shooting with the other, or attach
    it to the camera. To see how this can be achieved, take a wander over to
    http://www.camerashed.co.uk and check out the project at the top of the
    list.

    The list of projects in CameraShed is growing all the time so I'm sure
    there's something in there for everyone who wants to "Go further with their
    Fuji cam".

    Enjoy
    Matt Arnold
    Go further with your Fuji cam: http://www.camerashed.co.uk

    Matt Arnold, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Matt Arnold

    Ed Wurster Guest

    "Matt Arnold" wrote in message:

    > The V1 Power Lenser torch seems to be the best all rounder I've tested.

    It's
    > small, easily attachable to the camera body, has a temporary / permanent
    > switch on / off function and produces one of the most intense beams of

    light
    > (non laser - for safety reasons).

    Thanks Matt. Is this the same thing: Coast LL7570 V1 White Moon Lenser Key
    Chain Light.

    Nice web site, by the way.

    Ed

    Ed Wurster, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Matt,

    how far does it reach in total darkness?

    I'm aware that it depends a lot on whether the objects are light
    or dark colored and how much contrast they have, but perhaps you
    can give me an idea?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Matt Arnold

    Matt Arnold Guest

    "Ed Wurster" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Matt. Is this the same thing: Coast LL7570 V1 White Moon Lenser Key
    > Chain Light.

    No - I tried that one and although it looked bright, the cam just couldn't
    pick up a focus lock at 5m (my test distance).
    The V1 Power Lenser (Key Chain Light) is much more focussed and brighter
    than the Moon Lenser.

    > Nice web site, by the way.

    Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Matt

    Matt Arnold, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Matt Arnold

    Matt Arnold Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message
    > Matt,
    >
    > how far does it reach in total darkness?

    My test distance was at 5m though it could work father given enough contrast
    within the focus lock area.

    > I'm aware that it depends a lot on whether the objects are light
    > or dark colored and how much contrast they have, but perhaps you
    > can give me an idea?

    Indeed there needs to be a degree of contrast and it appears that the camera
    locks better when the contrasting surfaces are vertical within the [ ] area
    of the monitor.
    The no-flash focus shots on the project website will give you an idea of the
    kind of contrast I was experimenting with (medium blue on white and very
    dark brown on lighter brown).

    Cheers,
    Matt

    Matt Arnold, Sep 23, 2003
  6. Matt Arnold

    Lisa Horton Guest

    That's pretty clever. I have one of these lights clipped to each camera
    bag :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 23, 2003
  7. "Matt Arnold" <> wrote:

    >"Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message

    >> how far does it reach in total darkness?

    >My test distance was at 5m though it could work father given enough contrast
    >within the focus lock area.

    Matt,

    not bad at all!

    I'll do some experiments at night. By sheer luck I have two of
    these lights.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Matt Arnold

    Ed Wurster Guest

    > > Thanks Matt. Is this the same thing: Coast LL7570 V1 White Moon Lenser
    Key
    > > Chain Light.

    > No - I tried that one and although it looked bright, the cam just couldn't
    > pick up a focus lock at 5m (my test distance).
    > The V1 Power Lenser (Key Chain Light) is much more focussed and brighter
    > than the Moon Lenser.

    Thanks Matt.

    How about this one:

    http://www.tranquilityimages.com/ccs/ll7599-7600.shtml

    I don't see many hits for this in the U.S. Anyone aware of an east coast
    source?

    Ed

    Ed Wurster, Sep 24, 2003