    On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    are equal in size.

    Question? How many squares do you see before you?
    richard, Mar 31, 2010

  2. richard

    doS Guest

    10

    doS, Mar 31, 2010

  3. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:

    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.

    I don't understand the description of the project. Could you restate
    that? It seems like you got something wrong in the instructions.

    Does 3x3 mean 3 squares by 3 squares which would seem to make a square
    'grid' of 9 little squares? That grid would have a lot of different
    squares, one big one, and 4 different 2x2s, in addition to the 9 little
    ones.

    Of course, that wouldn't satisfy the idea of all the possible square
    outlines to be the same size, given that it seems to me that the grid
    has 3 different sized square shapes totaling 14 square entities.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 31, 2010
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:09:36 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    >> are equal in size.

    > I don't understand the description of the project. Could you restate
    > that? It seems like you got something wrong in the instructions.
    >
    > Does 3x3 mean 3 squares by 3 squares which would seem to make a square
    > 'grid' of 9 little squares? That grid would have a lot of different
    > squares, one big one, and 4 different 2x2s, in addition to the 9 little
    > ones.
    >
    > Of course, that wouldn't satisfy the idea of all the possible square
    > outlines to be the same size, given that it seems to me that the grid
    > has 3 different sized square shapes totaling 14 square entities.

    Correct.
    Most people only see the original 9, not bothering to count the largest
    "square" which then makes 10. As the keyword in the question is "squares",
    then that means there are 4 other inner squares.

    Thus, the answer is in fact, 14.
    richard, Mar 31, 2010
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:52:03 -0400, doS wrote:

    > 10

    wrong!

    14.
    richard, Mar 31, 2010
  6. richard

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 31/03/2010 05:44, richard wrote:
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >
    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.
    >
    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    You are right, that is a simple IQ test, doesn't even require drawing on
    paper as it is simple to visualise 14 squares in that drawing.

    So, have you been for a job interview and wondering which question you
    got wrong?
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 31, 2010
  7. 12

    For example: John Smith, Mar 31, 2010
  8. richard

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode,
    <1cxjz05vsm1q4.1uswtzetl59rz$>,
    the lovely and talented richard
    broadcast on 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.

    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.

    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    I make it 9 1x1, 4 2x2, 1 3x3.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> Warbama's Afghaninam day: 119
    2864.9 hours since Warbama declared Viet Nam II.
    Lars Eighner, Mar 31, 2010
  9. richard

    rf Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >
    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.
    >
    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    Fifteen. Including the square peice of paper I drew the squares on.
    rf, Mar 31, 2010
  10. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-31, richard <> wrote:
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >
    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.
    >
    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    How many do you want?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 31, 2010
  11. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    richard <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.

    Some people get it wrong when asking the question.

    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.

    There will be nine of one size, four of another and one of the
    largest size if you draw a 3x3 grid. Since they are not all the
    same size the grid can't be drawn to your soecifications.

    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    Error: undefined quantity.

    Mike "do I win?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Mar 31, 2010
  12. richard

    Tigger Guest

    dadiOH writted thus:

    > richard wrote:
    >> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of
    >> people who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >>
    >> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square
    >> blocks are equal in size.
    >>
    >> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    > dadiOH is hip, never square.

    ROFL
    Tigger, Mar 31, 2010
  13. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The richard Post:
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >
    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.
    >
    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    Hey you hit the jackpot on this one. <g>

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Mar 31, 2010
  14. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The MOLOGROV SCHLOCKTAIL Post:
    > On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:44:07 -0700, richard<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    > We Have Saying In Country. What The **** Is Wrong With You.

    LOL Good way to start the day <g>

    OldGringo38, Mar 31, 2010
  15. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The richard Post:
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >
    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.
    >
    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    Hey you hit the jackpot on this one. <g>
    PS: Now then, With the original Square at 3"x3" giving you 1 square
    that has been divided into equal squares of 1" each giving you 9 more
    squares this equals 10 squares total. The 4 2" squares within the
    complex of 1" squares that make up the inner complex of the 1 3"x3"
    square can only be counted as 1, giving you a grand total of 11
    squares. The reason for this is due to the fact that the center 1"
    square in the complex of the 9 1" squares can only be used once to
    complete 1 square as the other 3 squares are not squares with the
    missing 1" square that is required to complete the 2" square
    comprised of 4 1" squares. We also have a saying in the country.
    OldGringo38, Mar 31, 2010
  16. richard

    gonzo Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:
    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The richard Post:
    >> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of
    >> people who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >>
    >> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square
    >> blocks are equal in size.
    >>
    >> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    > Hey you hit the jackpot on this one. <g>
    > PS: Now then, With the original Square at 3"x3" giving you 1 square
    > that has been divided into equal squares of 1" each giving you 9 more
    > squares this equals 10 squares total. The 4 2" squares within the
    > complex of 1" squares that make up the inner complex of the 1 3"x3"
    > square can only be counted as 1, giving you a grand total of 11
    > squares. The reason for this is due to the fact that the center 1"
    > square in the complex of the 9 1" squares can only be used once to
    > complete 1 square as the other 3 squares are not squares with the
    > missing 1" square that is required to complete the 2" square
    > comprised of 4 1" squares. We also have a saying in the country.

    I think we will send you to Room 101, and then ask you
    "How many squares do you see?"
    gonzo, Mar 31, 2010
  17. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The gonzo Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The richard Post:
    >>> Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of
    >>> people who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >>>
    >>> On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square
    >>> blocks are equal in size.
    >>>
    >>> Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    >> Hey you hit the jackpot on this one. <g>
    >> PS: Now then, With the original Square at 3"x3" giving you 1 square
    >> that has been divided into equal squares of 1" each giving you 9 more
    >> squares this equals 10 squares total. The 4 2" squares within the
    >> complex of 1" squares that make up the inner complex of the 1 3"x3"
    >> square can only be counted as 1, giving you a grand total of 11
    >> squares. The reason for this is due to the fact that the center 1"
    >> square in the complex of the 9 1" squares can only be used once to
    >> complete 1 square as the other 3 squares are not squares with the
    >> missing 1" square that is required to complete the 2" square
    >> comprised of 4 1" squares. We also have a saying in the country.

    > I think we will send you to Room 101, and then ask you
    > "How many squares do you see?"

    7th floor

    OldGringo38, Apr 1, 2010
  18. richard

    Tim Conway Guest

    "OldGringo38" <> wrote in message
    >, In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    >Cents To The gonzo Post:
    >> OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The richard Post:

    >>> Hey you hit the jackpot on this one. <g>
    >>> PS: Now then, With the original Square at 3"x3" giving you 1 square
    >>> that has been divided into equal squares of 1" each giving you 9 more
    >>> squares this equals 10 squares total. The 4 2" squares within the
    >>> complex of 1" squares that make up the inner complex of the 1 3"x3"
    >>> square can only be counted as 1, giving you a grand total of 11
    >>> squares. The reason for this is due to the fact that the center 1"
    >>> square in the complex of the 9 1" squares can only be used once to
    >>> complete 1 square as the other 3 squares are not squares with the
    >>> missing 1" square that is required to complete the 2" square
    >>> comprised of 4 1" squares. We also have a saying in the country.

    >> I think we will send you to Room 101, and then ask you
    >> "How many squares do you see?"

    > 7th floor

    Or is it Ward 8?
    :)
    Tim Conway, Apr 1, 2010
  19. richard

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Tim Conway Post:

    > "OldGringo38" <> wrote in message
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added
    >> My Two Cents To The gonzo Post:

    >>> I think we will send you to Room 101, and then ask you
    >>> "How many squares do you see?"

    >> 7th floor
    >>

    > Or is it Ward 8?
    > :)

    Hell, I can't remember. <g>

    OldGringo38, Apr 1, 2010
  20. richard

    LSMFT Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Ok before I even start this, don't be surprised to know that 97% of people
    > who try this one simple question, get it wrong.
    >
    > On a piece of paper, draw a 3x3 grid of squares so that all square blocks
    > are equal in size.
    >
    > Question? How many squares do you see before you?

    Can I use circles?

    --
    LSMFT

    I'm trying to think but nothing happens.........
    LSMFT, Apr 1, 2010