    them off.
    Any help welcome.
    Jim.

    Jim, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Jim

    Barry Aldred Guest

    http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

    Barry Aldred, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Jim

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    > editor for an elderly relative.
    > All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    > Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
    > her to understand.
    > She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
    > Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    > them off.
    > Any help welcome.
    > Jim.

    I recommend Picasa, with the "I'm Feeling Lucky" option
    to enhance images...

    --
    -- irax
    http://rumimmi.blogspot.com

    Iraxl Enb, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Jim

    Guest

    Go to google and download Picasa as there can not be a program much
    easier to use and although it is a basic program it still has loads of
    easy to use applications and a help forum that you can post querie's
    to.Your picture's can be downloaded straight into picasa from scanner's
    camera's folder's and are easy to use.It contain's a help facility
    where you can view frequently asked question's also a search facility
    which is very useful.I have recommended to many friends who have found
    it to be excellent

    , Dec 13, 2005
  5. Jim

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Jim <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    > editor for an elderly relative.
    > All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    > Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
    > her to understand.
    > She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
    > Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    > them off.

    Another vote for picasa particularly if she takes a *lot* of pictures,
    although practically, she might get better results from Photofiltre.

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Pete Fenelon" <> wrote in message
    > Jim <> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >> editor for an elderly relative.
    >> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    >> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
    >> for
    >> her to understand.
    >> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
    >> SP2.
    >> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    >> them off.

    > Another vote for picasa particularly if she takes a *lot* of pictures,
    > although practically, she might get better results from Photofiltre.
    >
    > pete
    > --
    > "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    So many votes for the same thing that you all have to be right.
    I will get on it right away. Many thanks.
    Jim.

    Jim, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Jim

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >editor for an elderly relative.
    >All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    >Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
    >her to understand.
    >She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
    >Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    >them off.
    >Any help welcome.
    >Jim.

    Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
    http://www.irfanview.com
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Jim

    Matt Ion Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >>editor for an elderly relative.
    >>All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    >>Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
    >>her to understand.
    >>She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
    >>Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    >>them off.
    >>Any help welcome.
    >>Jim.

    > Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
    > http://www.irfanview.com

    I'll second the vote for IrfanView. It's not as "pretty" as Picasa, but
    it's a lot faster and more efficient. Picasa is a really good FREE
    program, but even on an Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM, Picasa takes
    upwards of 30 seconds to load up; IrfanView makes an excellent
    all-around media viewer and it loads up almost instantly even on slower
    machines.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0550-1, 12/13/2005
    Tested on: 12/13/2005 10:47:24 AM

    Matt Ion, Dec 13, 2005
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Ruf wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:22:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >>>editor for an elderly relative.
    >>>All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    >>>Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
    >>>for her to understand.
    >>>She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
    >>>SP2.
    >>>Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    >>>them off.
    >>>Any help welcome.
    >>>Jim.

    >> Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
    >> http://www.irfanview.com

    > I'll second the vote for IrfanView. It's not as "pretty" as Picasa, but
    > it's a lot faster and more efficient. Picasa is a really good FREE
    > program, but even on an Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM, Picasa takes upwards
    > of 30 seconds to load up; IrfanView makes an excellent all-around media
    > viewer and it loads up almost instantly even on slower machines.

    I have now down loaded both of these programs to try on my own computer
    before
    passing them on to her. I think she will manage the simpler to understand
    Picassa best.
    It is no trouble loading up as it takes only 5 seconds to fully load.
    Thanks again to you all for your help.
    Jim.

    Jim, Dec 13, 2005
  10. Jim

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    > editor for an elderly relative.
    > All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    > Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
    > for her to understand.
    > She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
    > SP2.
    > Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    > them off.
    > Any help welcome.
    > Jim.

    Elements 4 is worth a look. I have found its smart auto fix button works
    very well. It has plenty of facilities but the various auto fix solutions
    are quite good.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Jim

    Jeremy Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >> editor for an elderly relative.
    >> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.

    Picassa 2 free from Google.

    Nice "One-Button" fixes, and can also be used as a photo album and view
    images as slideshows.

    Probably more features than she needs, but those one-button tweaks work
    great--they even have one called "I'm Feeling Lucky, that does a decent job
    of adjusting the image in one mouse click. And you can't beat the price.

    Jeremy, Dec 14, 2005
  12. Jim

    Crash Gordon Guest

    IrFanview - great! but not pretty
    XnView - very good, easy and pretty
    FastStone Image Viewer - very good, easy and pretty :)

    Picasa's ok except I hated that I could not browse by actual folders, only
    by Picasa's structure: Date, Name, etc. So for me to organize the images on
    my harddrive it was worthless.

    Crash Gordon, Dec 14, 2005
  13. Jim

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Eatmorepies <> wrote:
    > Elements 4 is worth a look. I have found its smart auto fix button works
    > very well. It has plenty of facilities but the various auto fix solutions
    > are quite good.

    I use Elements (3, not 4 yet) for most of my image-editing work but I
    think it's overkill for someone who just wants to make a few simple
    tweaks. Fine program, but *slow* to startup, and the interface isn't the
    most Windows-y around. For a novice, I'd say go for Picasa.

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Dec 14, 2005
  14. Jim

    cjcampbell Guest

    Picasa.

    Or get her a Mac and use iPhoto.

    Or get her a Canon Pixma printer and use the Easy Photo-Print utility.

    cjcampbell, Dec 14, 2005
  15. Jim

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    > editor for an elderly relative.
    > All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    > Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated for
    > her to understand.
    > She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP SP2.
    > Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    > them off.
    > Any help welcome.
    > Jim.

    The free program Irfanview is easy to use, fast to load, and will do the
    editing you mention, and much more. I highly recommend it!

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005
  16. Jim

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Pete Fenelon" <> wrote in message
    >> Jim <> wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >>> editor for an elderly relative.
    >>> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    >>> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
    >>> for
    >>> her to understand.
    >>> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
    >>> SP2.
    >>> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    >>> them off.

    >> Another vote for picasa particularly if she takes a *lot* of pictures,
    >> although practically, she might get better results from Photofiltre.
    >>
    >> pete
    >> --
    >> "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    > So many votes for the same thing that you all have to be right.
    > I will get on it right away. Many thanks.
    > Jim.

    I vote AGAINST Picassa. While it is free, and quite powerful, I suspect
    that it may intimidate many users. It does much more in the area of
    organizing (not very well) than display and editing. Fastone image
    Viewer is another good program that is easy to use, and free. Picasa is
    too cumbersome for my purposes, and takes just about forever to startup
    as it scans your entire HD looking for images (some of which you may not
    want included in its database.)

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005
  17. Jim

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    >> Ed Ruf wrote:

    >>> Sounds like Irfanview fits the bill.
    >>> http://www.irfanview.com

    >> I'll second the vote for IrfanView. It's not as "pretty" as Picasa, but
    >> it's a lot faster and more efficient. Picasa is a really good FREE
    >> program, but even on an Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM, Picasa takes upwards
    >> of 30 seconds to load up; IrfanView makes an excellent all-around media
    >> viewer and it loads up almost instantly even on slower machines.

    > I have now down loaded both of these programs to try on my own computer
    > before
    > passing them on to her. I think she will manage the simpler to understand
    > Picassa best.
    > It is no trouble loading up as it takes only 5 seconds to fully load.
    > Thanks again to you all for your help.
    > Jim.
    >>
    >> ---
    >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >> Virus Database (VPS): 0550-1, 12/13/2005
    >> Tested on: 12/13/2005 10:47:24 AM

    5 seconds? You don't have many images, do you?

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005
  18. Jim

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I know this is a naive approach but I am looking for a very simple image
    >> editor for an elderly relative.
    >> All she needs is something to lighten, darken, contrast, sharpen.
    >> Have been downloading various programs but they are all too complicated
    >> for her to understand.
    >> She is OK at getting her pictures on to the hard disc on her Windows XP
    >> SP2.
    >> Some are a bit dark and she simply wants to lighten them before printing
    >> them off.
    >> Any help welcome.
    >> Jim.
    >>

    > Elements 4 is worth a look. I have found its smart auto fix button works
    > very well. It has plenty of facilities but the various auto fix solutions
    > are quite good.
    >
    > John

    Very true, but for simple editing, a bit on the expensive side.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2005
  19. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    >> "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message

    >>> I'll second the vote for IrfanView. It's not as "pretty" as Picasa, but
    >>> it's a lot faster and more efficient. Picasa is a really good FREE
    >>> program, but even on an Athlon64 3200+ with 1GB RAM, Picasa takes
    >>> upwards of 30 seconds to load up; IrfanView makes an excellent
    >>> all-around media viewer and it loads up almost instantly even on slower
    >>> machines.

    >> I have now down loaded both of these programs to try on my own computer
    >> before
    >> passing them on to her. I think she will manage the simpler to understand
    >> Picassa best.
    >> It is no trouble loading up as it takes only 5 seconds to fully load.
    >> Thanks again to you all for your help.
    >> Jim.
    >>>
    >>> ---
    >>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >>> Virus Database (VPS): 0550-1, 12/13/2005
    >>> Tested on: 12/13/2005 10:47:24 AM
    >>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
    >>>

    > 5 seconds? You don't have many images, do you?

    I have hundreds of images. The first time I started Picassa it did take a
    while to go through the hard drive for images but now when I start it up all
    those images are on the screen immediately and it just adds any new ones.
    Hence the 5 second start up.
    Thanks Ron anyway for your interest. I do appreciate everyone's help.
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 14, 2005
  20. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Crash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > IrFanview - great! but not pretty
    > XnView - very good, easy and pretty
    > FastStone Image Viewer - very good, easy and pretty :)

    Just downloaded your recomendation (Faststone) to try it and it is as you
    say nice & easy for a beginner.
    Thanks for that info.
    Regards,
    Jim