    I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
    - this website is work in progress

    Thanks people
    Chris Newey, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Chris Newey

    Boomer Guest

    Chris Newey <> wrote in
    news::

    > Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    > www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
    >
    > I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the
    > Links page - this website is work in progress
    >
    > Thanks people

    Fonts are a bit small. I use Mozilla 1.5
    Also, I would not put my address on a web site.

    Good luck on your site and I do hope you munge your address when
    posting on usenet.
    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Chris Newey

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:

    >Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    >www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk

    URL may fail to resolve on non Windows platforms due to silly use of
    'Y', and your emil link.

    >I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
    >- this website is work in progress

    Start back at the home page before going on to others.

    Fonts too small and the 'blueish' color is too pale.

    You first line , <h3>Chris Newey's Website</h3>
    it's either -
    You didn't mean h3 and meant h1 as an intro heading.
    Or you are incorrectly using h3 as a non heading element.

    Use the <title></title> , rather than leaving it blank.

    Frames, oh rats , and a blank noframes section as well. Oh great just
    peachy, frames disabled and a totally blank page.

    Argh! even worse

    http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mainMenu.html
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    <HTML xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

    Claiming to be XHTML 1.0 strict and failing badly, and once these bits
    are fixed watch out for the rest of it.

    http://validator.w3.org/
    File: mainMenu.html
    Encoding: iso-8859-1
    Doctype: -//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN
    Errors: 60
    Note: The Validator XML support has some limitations.
    Line 5, column 9: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 13: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 17: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 21: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 25: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 29: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 33: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 37: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 41: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 45: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 49: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 53: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 57: multiple comments in comment declaration
    Line 5, column 62: multiple comments in comment declaration
    etc,.
    This page is not Valid -//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN!

    See the report.

    Try and avoid mixed case, unless you are really sure the URL and the
    filename match.
    http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Home.html

    Since you asked about links
    http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Links.html, again.Get rid of that
    pale color

    Validator report
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Links.html
    or shorter version , http://makeashorterlink.com/?W24362107
    Errors: 108

    Have a look at the XHTML spec, all the tags </HEAD> must be lowercase.
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#recommendations i.e.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
    this bit,
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs
    4.2. Element and attribute names must be in lower case
    4.3. For non-empty elements, end tags are required
    4.6. Empty Elements
    Empty elements must either have an end tag or the start tag must end

    The XHTML 1.0 DTD
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
    is not easy to read initially, but it's the allowed elements / syntax.

    Tutorials.
    http://www.w3schools.com/

    CSS validator report
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...ite.css&warning=1&profile=css2&usermedium=all
    fix the few errors, after all
    or shorter version, http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q63325107

    body {
    font-size: 10pt;
    line-height: 12pt;
    color: #3675A3;
    background: white;
    margin-top:0;
    margin-left:5;
    margin-right:0;
    }

    margins what units, 0 or 5 light years, weeks, meters?

    yucky, fixed pt font-size, why force on a person your font size. The
    viewer should be allow to pick a font size they can read easily.
    Some browsers like one of the most popular, have a bug not allowing
    viewer to change the font size.

    On some pages you have the correct

    Other newsgroups,
    alt.html
    blueyonder.discussion.pwp

    Why the mostly usless onmouseover?

    It's too much, can't go any further..... argh!!! the bells the
    bells.....

    Me
    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Chris Newey

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:

    >Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    >www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
    >
    >I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
    >- this website is work in progress
    >
    >Thanks people

    Went missing there for a few minutes :)

    http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    Last-Modified: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:44:12 GMT

    What's this, 08 Ja? showing up in Mozilla 1.6b , Opera 7.23 and Netscape
    7.1 -

    Last updated: Thu, 08 Ja (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)

    Why the (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)? It's totally not needed.
    Use something like mmm/dd/yyyy

    Or better
    http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
    A Summary of the International Standard Date and Time Notation

    Especially authors of Web pages and software engineers who design user
    interfaces, file formats, and communication protocols should be familiar
    with ISO 8601.

    About the earlier, mention of onmouseover

    target="MainDisplayFrame"
    class="lien"
    onMouseOver="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='Orange':null;"
    onmouseout="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='#3675A3':null;">Home</a>

    What's wrong with setting the link and hover color? It's much simpler.

    That's really enough now.

    Me
    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Chris Newey

    Boomer Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:
    >
    >>Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    >>www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
    >>
    >>I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the
    >>Links page - this website is work in progress
    >>
    >>Thanks people

    > Went missing there for a few minutes :)
    >
    > http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    > Last-Modified: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:44:12 GMT
    >
    > What's this, 08 Ja? showing up in Mozilla 1.6b , Opera 7.23 and
    > Netscape 7.1 -
    >
    > Last updated: Thu, 08 Ja (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)
    >
    > Why the (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)? It's totally not
    > needed. Use something like mmm/dd/yyyy
    >
    > Or better
    > http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
    > A Summary of the International Standard Date and Time Notation
    >
    > Especially authors of Web pages and software engineers who design
    > user interfaces, file formats, and communication protocols should
    > be familiar with ISO 8601.
    >

    > About the earlier, mention of onmouseover

    > target="MainDisplayFrame"
    > class="lien"
    > onMouseOver="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='Orange':null;"
    > onmouseout="netie(-1,4)?this.style.color='#3675A3':null;"
    > >Home</a>

    > What's wrong with setting the link and hover color? It's much
    > simpler.
    >

    > That's really enough now.
    >
    > Me

    If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about it!

    ;o) <jk>

    Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site. :)
    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Chris Newey

    why? Guest

    On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:
    >>
    >>>Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    >>>www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
    >>>
    >>>I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the
    >>>Links page - this website is work in progress
    >>>
    >>>Thanks people

    >> Went missing there for a few minutes :)
    >>
    >> http://www.cnewey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
    >> Last-Modified: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:44:12 GMT
    >>
    >> What's this, 08 Ja? showing up in Mozilla 1.6b , Opera 7.23 and
    >> Netscape 7.1 -
    >>
    >> Last updated: Thu, 08 Ja (Date Format is American mm/dd/yyyy)

    <snip>

    >> That's really enough now.
    >>
    >> Me

    >If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about it!

    <chuckle> :]

    Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had such a
    lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
    It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
    declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents base
    the ability to render a page using it, rather than rendering as it goes
    along.

    >;o) <jk>
    >
    >Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site. :)

    Thanks, I think ;-)

    Me
    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Chris Newey

    > On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    [snip]
    >>If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about
    >>it!

    > <chuckle> :]

    ;)

    > Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had
    > such a lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
    > It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
    > declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents
    > base the ability to render a page using it, rather than rendering
    > as it goes along.
    >

    >>;o) <jk>
    >>
    >>Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site.
    >>:)

    > Thanks, I think ;-)
    >
    > Me

    I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's Composer?
    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Chris Newey

    why? Guest

    On 08 Jan 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    >[snip]
    >>>If I ever make have a web site, I sure won't let you know about
    >>>it!

    >> <chuckle> :]

    >;)
    >

    >> Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had
    >> such a lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
    >> It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
    >> declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents

    <snip>

    >>>Actually you would be the first one I'd ask to check out my site.
    >>>:)

    >> Thanks, I think ;-)
    >>
    >> Me

    >I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's Composer?

    Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other webpage
    creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.

    Me
    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  9. Chris Newey

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:18:05 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On 08 Jan 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Boomer wrote:
    >
    >>why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >>

    >>> On 08 Jan 2004 19:09:45 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    >>[snip]
    >>>
    >>> <chuckle> :]

    >>;)
    >>

    >>> Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had
    >>> such a lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
    >>> It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
    >>> declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents

    ><snip>

    >>> Thanks, I think ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >>I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's Composer?
    >>

    >Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other webpage

    Oops.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I Don't use ... ^^^^^^^

    >creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.
    >
    >Me

    Me
    why?, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Chris Newey

    > On 08 Jan 2004 20:19:30 GMT, Boomer wrote:

    [snip]
    >>I don't know much about HTML. What do you think of Mozilla's
    >>Composer?

    Thanks. :)

    > Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other
    > webpage creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.

    That's cuz u is smart ;)
    Boomer, Jan 8, 2004
  11. Chris Newey

    Senti Guest

    Chris Newey did mumble ...

    > Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    > www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
    >
    > I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links
    > page - this website is work in progress
    >
    > Thanks people

    I'd suggest taking your mailing address down and using a darker font... some
    peoples eyes don't pick that up too easily....
    --
    ~SF~
    "I often quote myself ! It adds wit to the conversation" - George
    Senti, Jan 9, 2004

    Might want to run it by the wizards at alt.html

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 9, 2004
  13. why? wrote:

    > Besides the fonts,color and a few bits the OP wouldn't have had such a
    > lengthy reply if the XHTML doctype lines were not there.
    > It's one thing having no document definition, it's another matter
    > declaring one and having so many problems. Some nice user agents base
    > the ability to render a page using it, rather than rendering as it goes
    > along.

    I had some friends back in college who lived in quirks mode before the
    term was even invented. :)

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 9, 2004
  14. Boomer wrote:

    > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    >> Heard it's good, better than many. Don't use it, or any other
    >> webpage creator. My stuff is all handcoded using UltraEdit32.

    > That's cuz u is smart ;)

    In some cases, it takes more work to undo what WYSINGM (What You See Is
    Not Good Markup) apps create, than just writing it yourself.

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 9, 2004
  15. Chris Newey

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:04:02 -0000, Chris Newey wrote:

    >Constructive comments gratefully received regarding
    >www.cnewey.pwp.blueYonder.co.uk
    >
    >I would be most grateful for remarks/criticisms regarding the Links page
    >- this website is work in progress

    Big joke, OP has posted his CV it's badly formatted can't see left hand
    side of text in several browsers.

    Even more comical -

    Internet

    * Apache Web Server Configuration (Linux and Windows Platforms)
    * Active Server Pages (ASP)
    * WinCGI
    * CGI
    * HTML, XHTML, XML, Document Object Model

    Spot the line above Ho HO HO!!!

    >Thanks people

    Me
    why?, Jan 12, 2004