Simple (hopefully) question for Cisco IOS gurus

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by maethlin, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. maethlin

    maethlin Guest

    Okay, so I seem to have messed up on a switch. I was configuring a
    switch to specified parameters printed out for me by somebody else, I
    was able to duplicate the config exactly and all was great, except the
    configuration I was copying had the following line:

    "aaa authentication login default line enable"

    I added that to the new switch, and reloaded.

    Now, I'm being prompted for a username, and like a dufus I never set up
    a username/password in the first place. (In fact, I'm not sure why I'm
    being prompted for username, since line and enable shouldn't require
    username authentication.) So, I don't know what to type in for
    username - the moment I enter anything (like admin, or default, etc)
    for a username, I get an "authentication failed" message before even
    being prompted for a password.

    Can anyone help?
    maethlin, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Have you tried putting whatever for the username and the enable password
    for the password?

    Regards,
    Steve
    www.networking-forum.com

    www.networking-forum.com, Oct 12, 2005

  3. maethlin

    Merv Guest

    you will need to execute the password recovery for the particular
    device in question.

    search on the Cisco CCO site for the relevant procedure
    Merv, Oct 12, 2005