Simple Home Setup for Satellite Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ellen Hall, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. Ellen Hall

    Ellen Hall Guest

    Hello,

    I've been reading a lot about networking and am hoping to simplify things.
    I'm
    plugging in a new XP machine in the next week and have plans to order
    satellite internet. The dish will probably be right outside the window
    (next to the DirecTV dish). I want internet to also go to another XP
    machine at the other end of the house (approximately 50 feet and a few walls
    away). I do not want any other kind of sharing (files or devices) between
    the two machines. I
    do want security and each machine will have a software firewall. And of
    course, I want as much speed as possible.

    Each computer has an NIC card. I'm told that all I need is a router. I
    thought that for wireless, one of the machines had to have a wireless device
    (adapter?). I have not spoken to the actual installer, but my understanding
    is that they will hook up the satellite modem to my router and I will
    configure the connection between the machines. The installer may help set
    it up, but I'd sure like to understand it and put it together myself ahead
    of time.

    Frankly, I've taken in a lot of information and my eyes are crossing. If
    someone could help me get down to the bare bones of what I need to do to be
    ready for the installer (standards, i.e., 802.11b terms, security, i.e.,
    WEP, WPA terms, and brands, i.e., Linksys, Belkin, etc.), I would be
    grateful. Perhaps a good web site. Perhaps a few "Run Spot Run" sentences.

    Thanks Very Much,
    Ellen
    Ellen Hall, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Ellen Hall

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    As a first step make talk to your future Internet provider, and make sure
    that your Satellite modem can be connected to a regular Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router (unlike regular Cable or DSL connection, some Satellite type of
    connection can not use a regular Router).

    Assuming that you new Internet connection can use a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router; the system should look like this (in your case the input would be
    from your modem).

    Installing and Sharing here, http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html ( 50’ and few walls you need to
    go for Good Wireless).

    Wireless, Basic Configuration, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Wireless Security, http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, May 1, 2006

  3. Ellen Hall

    Ellen Hall Guest

    Jack,

    Thanks so much! I've printed out all the pages and plan to call the
    provider tomorrow.

    Ellen

    Ellen Hall, May 1, 2006