Simple file storage solution

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rats, Oct 26, 2009.

  1. Rats

    Rats Guest

    Hi,

    I'm after a simple method for storing my vast number of media files.
    Currently I have 2 hard drives totalling 1TB in my main computer but I
    am looking at buying more drives and setting up a remote storage
    system accessible via my home network.

    Requirements
    1. Accessible 24/7
    2. Low power consumption

    The simplest and probably cheapest solution would be to buy an old
    computer, install linux and plug in the hard drives. Wham you have
    yourself a file server. Disadvantages of this would still be power
    consumption as having a computer running 24/7 is expensive.

    Another option is to get a proper NAS device. These are designed
    specifically for this purpose along with good power consumption and
    allows for cool features like redundancy and hot swappable drives. The
    down side is these devices cost a packet.

    Any other suggestions?
     
    Rats, Oct 26, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rats

    Rats Guest

    On Oct 27, 3:19 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Rats wrote:
    > > Hi,

    >
    > > I'm after a simple method for storing my vast number of media files.
    > > Currently I have 2 hard drives totalling 1TB in my main computer but I
    > > am looking at buying more drives and setting up a remote storage
    > > system accessible via my home network.

    >
    > > Requirements
    > > 1. Accessible 24/7
    > > 2. Low power consumption

    >
    > > The simplest and probably cheapest solution would be to buy an old
    > > computer, install linux and plug in the hard drives. Wham you have
    > > yourself a file server. Disadvantages of this would still be power
    > > consumption as having a computer running 24/7 is expensive.

    >
    > > Another option is to get a proper NAS device. These are designed
    > > specifically for this purpose along with good power consumption and
    > > allows for cool features like redundancy and hot swappable drives. The
    > > down side is these devices cost a packet.

    >
    > > Any other suggestions?

    >
    > Given that stand-alone network drives are now cheap and nearly
    > 'commonplace', that would be an option.
    >
    > Another easy would be a USB ( or ESATA) drive hooked onto an 'always on' PC,
    > and shared for that purpose.
    >
    > geoff


    Hmm, the only one reasonably priced was the linksys nas200. This is
    quite a good unit given it has 2 bays. However it lacks a gigabit lan
    connection. Not too sure why given this is the standard these days.
     
    Rats, Oct 27, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rats

    J Brockley Guest

    "Rats" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm after a simple method for storing my vast number of media files.
    > Currently I have 2 hard drives totalling 1TB in my main computer but I
    > am looking at buying more drives and setting up a remote storage
    > system accessible via my home network.
    >
    > Requirements
    > 1. Accessible 24/7
    > 2. Low power consumption
    >
    > The simplest and probably cheapest solution would be to buy an old
    > computer, install linux and plug in the hard drives. Wham you have
    > yourself a file server. Disadvantages of this would still be power
    > consumption as having a computer running 24/7 is expensive.
    >
    > Another option is to get a proper NAS device. These are designed
    > specifically for this purpose along with good power consumption and
    > allows for cool features like redundancy and hot swappable drives. The
    > down side is these devices cost a packet.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?


    Don't think there is a cheap and also low power no hassle way.
    RAIDON 2 BAY SATA GIGABIT LAN RAID EXTERNAL ENCLOSURE can be had for
    $299+gst
    Strangely enough this is one area that has gone up in price, I bought a
    DLINK over a year ago for $270 but these are now around $400. Should have
    got 4 bay one given the way prices have gone up.
     
    J Brockley, Oct 27, 2009
    #3
  4. Rats

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:03:41 -0700 (PDT), Rats
    <> wrote:
    >
    >Hmm, the only one reasonably priced was the linksys nas200. This is
    >quite a good unit given it has 2 bays. However it lacks a gigabit lan
    >connection. Not too sure why given this is the standard these days.


    These little NAS boxes are pretty slow and even with a gigabit port
    they won't go anywhere near that fast. The CPU just isn't up to it.

    My current favourite solution is a PC full of hard drives and running
    FreeNAS. It's FreeBSD on a live CD set up for NAS use. Minimal
    configuration and a tidy web interface.
    I don't have any ideas on power saving though.

    --
    Ray Greene
     
    Ray Greene, Oct 27, 2009
    #4
  5. Rats

    EMB Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:03:41 -0700 (PDT), Rats
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hmm, the only one reasonably priced was the linksys nas200. This is
    >> quite a good unit given it has 2 bays. However it lacks a gigabit lan
    >> connection. Not too sure why given this is the standard these days.

    >
    > These little NAS boxes are pretty slow and even with a gigabit port
    > they won't go anywhere near that fast. The CPU just isn't up to it.
    >
    > My current favourite solution is a PC full of hard drives and running
    > FreeNAS. It's FreeBSD on a live CD set up for NAS use. Minimal
    > configuration and a tidy web interface.
    > I don't have any ideas on power saving though.
    >

    I find OpenFiler a better performing option.
     
    EMB, Oct 27, 2009
    #5
  6. Rats

    Rats Guest

    On Oct 27, 10:59 pm, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > These little NAS boxes are pretty slow and even with a gigabit port
    > they won't go anywhere near that fast. The CPU just isn't up to it.
    >
    > My current favourite solution is a PC full of hard drives and running
    > FreeNAS. It's FreeBSD on a live CD set up for NAS use. Minimal
    > configuration and a tidy web interface.
    > I don't have any ideas on power saving though.


    A PC full of drives is the simplest solution especially given FreeNAS
    is available. However power consumption will be high.
     
    Rats, Oct 27, 2009
    #6
  7. Rats

    KiwiBrian Guest

    Hi R.
    Can you email me as your address below does not seem to work for me.
    I have a message for you that could be of interest.
    Cheers.

    "Rats" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm after a simple method for storing my vast number of media files.
    > Currently I have 2 hard drives totalling 1TB in my main computer but I
    > am looking at buying more drives and setting up a remote storage
    > system accessible via my home network.
    >
    > Requirements
    > 1. Accessible 24/7
    > 2. Low power consumption
    >
    > The simplest and probably cheapest solution would be to buy an old
    > computer, install linux and plug in the hard drives. Wham you have
    > yourself a file server. Disadvantages of this would still be power
    > consumption as having a computer running 24/7 is expensive.
    >
    > Another option is to get a proper NAS device. These are designed
    > specifically for this purpose along with good power consumption and
    > allows for cool features like redundancy and hot swappable drives. The
    > down side is these devices cost a packet.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
     
    KiwiBrian, Oct 27, 2009
    #7
  8. Rats

    Rats Guest

    On Oct 28, 9:36 am, "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:
    > Hi R.
    > Can you email me as your address below does not seem to work for me.
    > I have a message for you that could be of interest.
    > Cheers.
    >
    > "Rats" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > > Hi,

    >
    > > I'm after a simple method for storing my vast number of media files.
    > > Currently I have 2 hard drives totalling 1TB in my main computer but I
    > > am looking at buying more drives and setting up a remote storage
    > > system accessible via my home network.

    >
    > > Requirements
    > > 1. Accessible 24/7
    > > 2. Low power consumption

    >
    > > The simplest and probably cheapest solution would be to buy an old
    > > computer, install linux and plug in the hard drives. Wham you have
    > > yourself a file server. Disadvantages of this would still be power
    > > consumption as having a computer running 24/7 is expensive.

    >
    > > Another option is to get a proper NAS device. These are designed
    > > specifically for this purpose along with good power consumption and
    > > allows for cool features like redundancy and hot swappable drives. The
    > > down side is these devices cost a packet.

    >
    > > Any other suggestions?


    I've reactivated the account. You can send emails there.
     
    Rats, Oct 28, 2009
    #8
  9. Rats

    J Brockley Guest

    "Rats" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Oct 27, 10:59 pm, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >> These little NAS boxes are pretty slow and even with a gigabit port
    >> they won't go anywhere near that fast. The CPU just isn't up to it.
    >>
    >> My current favourite solution is a PC full of hard drives and running
    >> FreeNAS. It's FreeBSD on a live CD set up for NAS use. Minimal
    >> configuration and a tidy web interface.
    >> I don't have any ideas on power saving though.

    >
    > A PC full of drives is the simplest solution especially given FreeNAS
    > is available. However power consumption will be high.


    Dlink drops down to ~5 watts idle
     
    J Brockley, Oct 28, 2009
    #9
  10. Rats

    eyes Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:03:41 -0700 (PDT), Rats
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hmm, the only one reasonably priced was the linksys nas200. This is
    >> quite a good unit given it has 2 bays. However it lacks a gigabit lan
    >> connection. Not too sure why given this is the standard these days.

    >
    > These little NAS boxes are pretty slow and even with a gigabit port
    > they won't go anywhere near that fast. The CPU just isn't up to it.
    >
    > My current favourite solution is a PC full of hard drives and running
    > FreeNAS. It's FreeBSD on a live CD set up for NAS use. Minimal
    > configuration and a tidy web interface.
    > I don't have any ideas on power saving though.
    >


    +1 FreeNAS

    I added mine as a VM under VirtualBox to an already on HTPC. Doesn't
    solve the always on operation, but at least I only have one PC on all
    the time instead of 2.

    VirtualBox allows RAW access to hard drives, so after ensuring that my
    host would not touch them, I mounted my 2 1.5TBs directly in FreeNAS.
     
    eyes, Oct 28, 2009
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scott Townsend
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,887
    Aaron Leonard
    Nov 14, 2005
  2. John
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    398
    Michael Stevens
    Jul 26, 2003
  3. The Professor

    Storage solution for paper sleeve DVDs?

    The Professor, Jan 19, 2005, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    968
    Jon Purkey
    Jan 21, 2005
  4. name

    convenient portable storage solution

    name, Nov 23, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    325
    Michael Meissner
    Nov 29, 2005
  5. Need Image Storage Solution

    , Sep 18, 2013, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    120
    Views:
    758
    KMurat
    Sep 30, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page