    all.

    The both the User settings are for Administrator..

    Thanks

    Mathew Good, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    Peter Nield Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have noticed some articles that seem to mean that you need to log onto
    > each Computer with the
    > same name (GUEST account ) for Simple File Sharing to work..?
    >

    > Can some one explain, as one PC had a log on name, but no pass word and
    > the other has no log at
    > all.
    >
    > The both the User settings are for Administrator..
    >

    > Thanks

    For file sharing to work in a "workgroup" environment, each computer must
    have user accounts with the same username and password (for "simple" file
    sharing, passwords are requried, IIRC).

    Then you can create file shares, and access them between computers.

    In you case, make user the Administrator accounts passwords match. I'd
    recommend creating additional accounts to use as a "user", unless you play
    games - a number of games need "administrator" access, especially online
    games with PunkBuster.

    If you don't have to login to an XP machine, that's usually becuase there is
    exactly one enabled user account other than the Administrator account, which
    has no password.

    Peter Nield, Feb 17, 2007

  3. Peter Nield wrote:
    > "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I have noticed some articles that seem to mean that you need to log onto
    >> each Computer with the
    >> same name (GUEST account ) for Simple File Sharing to work..?
    >>

    >> Can some one explain, as one PC had a log on name, but no pass word and
    >> the other has no log at
    >> all.
    >>
    >> The both the User settings are for Administrator..
    >>

    >> Thanks

    > For file sharing to work in a "workgroup" environment, each computer must
    > have user accounts with the same username and password (for "simple" file
    > sharing, passwords are requried, IIRC).

    Nope.

    You need matching accounts if "simple file sharing" is *off*.

    SFS *on* means that network client connects as GUEST user and network
    server accepts connections to shares from GUEST user.

    No passwords required, *simple* eh?

    dilberts_left_nut, Feb 20, 2007