    explanation, I won't mind and would really appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance!!!
    Jaxim
    Jaxim, Aug 19, 2005

  2. Jaxim

    Malke Guest

    Jaxim wrote:

    > Newbie Question:
    > I'm new to using wireless technology. I just bought a laptop computer
    > and have it connected to the Internet using a Netgear Wireless router.
    > That's easy enough, but how do I go about accessing files on my
    > desktop PC and printing to the printer which is connected to the
    > desktop PC? Is it is as simple as changing a few settings? Do I need
    > to purchase additional hardware?
    >
    > Since I'm a newbie in this area, if you talk in baby terms in your
    > explanation, I won't mind and would really appreciate it.

    You just need to set up a home network. You don't need to buy anything
    extra. You didn't tell us what operating systems the two computers are
    running, but if they are XP just run the Network Setup Wizard (in
    Control Panel) on both of them. If you are only using the Windows
    Firewall that comes with XP SP2, then the Wizard will ask you if you
    want to enable file and printer sharing. Of course you will say "yes".

    If you have a third-party firewall installed, you'll need to disable the
    Windows Firewall after you run the Wizard (Windows Firewall applet in
    Control Panel) and configure your third-party firewall to allow your
    Local Area Network (lan) as trusted. This is not difficult to do.

    Then you need to share out the files and printers you want to on each
    computer.

    Here are some links to help visualize things:

    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Aug 19, 2005

  3. Jaxim

    David {MVP} Guest

    You might want to take a look at the instructions here,
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm see if you
    understand them or not, and if you feel they apply to you. Then ask what you
    don't understand.

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 19, 2005
  4. Jaxim

    Jaxim Guest

    thanks to the two of you for replying. I'll try to set it up sometime
    tomorrow.

    One question though. Is there a way to protect my desktop and laptop
    (and my printer from that matter) from other people accessing my
    computers' files throught the network. There's gotta be some kind of
    elementary password system set up, right? Can you confirm this?

    again, thanks!

    p.s. yes, my computers are running windows xp, more specifically --
    Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition (desktop) & Windows XP Tablet PC
    Edition (laptop/tabletPC).
    Jaxim, Aug 19, 2005
  5. Jaxim

    David {MVP} Guest

    Yes. When you setup a share, you give it a user name, or names and also a
    password. Think up something creative for the name, rather than guess and a
    password, that is nothing.Also when you create the "share" you can assign
    different "level of access" to different users. So you can set that a
    "friend" may read you files, but lacks the ability to change them or create
    new ones. Good Luck tomorrow.

    David {MVP}, Aug 19, 2005