    Should I do it with out a flash or with?
    Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.

    Photo Kindergarten Kim

    Kim, Jan 23, 2005

  2. In article <_aFId.145216$6l.113767@pd7tw2no>, "Kim" <>
    wrote:

    > Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
    > I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
    > store.
    > I am using a cannon d 30.
    > What iso speed should I use?
    > 200?
    > Should I do it with out a flash or with?
    > Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Photo Kindergarten Kim

    Three pieces of advice;

    1st) Pay attention in class next time.

    2nd) Learn how to use your camera before making pictures, thats why
    people write manuals, its also how you"ll know the light meter in the
    camera works. Light varies and no one is going to be able give you
    the exact formula of what you need to do,...seriously.

    3rd) Ask the store manager if its ok or they may call the police or kick
    you out on your butt. I had a store manager tell me I could not
    photograph the store once inside or out.

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Kim wrote:

    > What iso speed should I use? 200?
    > Should I do it with out a flash or with?

    In addition to the good advice items that Dragon gave you, try a
    variety of ISO and flash settings. Examine the results and see what you
    can learn.

    --
    Eric Schreiber
    www.ericschreiber.com

    Eric Schreiber, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Kim

    cc0112453 Guest

    The lower the ISO the better quality image you are going to have and being
    that there is very little difference between 100 and 200 ISO I would
    recommend 100 and use a tripod. The Oranges aren't going to move. Don't
    use a flash they tend to flatten things out unless you are bouncing it.

    cc0112453, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Kim

    Jose Guest

    Also adjust your camera's white balance.

    Jose, Jan 23, 2005
  6. On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:51:22 GMT, "Kim" <> wrote:

    >Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
    >I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
    >store.

    So, you need only one picture? Take as many as you can fit on the memory card,
    using varying settings. With flash, without, wide aperture/short exposure, small
    aperture/long exposure.

    Then select the best and learn from the rest.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net

    Christopher Pollard, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Kim

    Lourens Smak Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
    > I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
    > store.
    > I am using a cannon d 30.
    > What iso speed should I use?
    > 200?
    > Should I do it with out a flash or with?
    > Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.

    You should use a tripod, and change the lighting as necessary, a
    reflector could do, but you could also need a strobe kit, hard to say.
    The store will have lights that suck, that is almost sure.

    Lourens

    Lourens Smak, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Kim

    DaveMohnsen Guest

    This was a fun thread. Good way for a chuckle for the day. Thanx.
    Dave
    Denver

    "Little Green Eyed Dragon" <> wrote
    in message

    DaveMohnsen, Jan 23, 2005
  9. Kim

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > You should use a tripod, and change the lighting as necessary, a
    > reflector could do, but you could also need a strobe kit, hard to say.
    > The store will have lights that suck, that is almost sure.

    Agreed - tripod and bounce the flash. Consider depth of field as well.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Kim

    Owamanga Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:51:22 GMT, "Kim" <> wrote:

    >Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
    >I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
    >store.
    >I am using a cannon d 30.
    >What iso speed should I use?
    >200?
    >Should I do it with out a flash or with?
    >Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Photo Kindergarten Kim

    Add some mushrooms for color-balance and spot-metering.

    Oranges *do* move in supermarkets, so it's always best to wear a
    tee-shirt with the slogan "I AM A BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT, IF YOU SEE ME
    RUNNING, TRY TO KEEP UP" written on the back. That aught to keep the
    old people and their grubby little snatchy hands away from your orange
    heap.

    Blind old people can't read your slogan, but remember your tripod has
    THREE pointy ends compared to their single white stick, so you are
    comparatively well armed.

    Replace one orange with an apple. This is now a piece of art.

    Stab a straw into one of the oranges. This is now an advert.

    Nail a brussels-sprout to each orange. This is now insane.

    If you see an orange bearing the image of the Virgin Mary, buy it.
    When you get bored of it, you can always sell it to an crazed Catholic
    on e-bay for tens of thousands of dollars.

    Florida has the best tasters, but for the best lookers, you need
    California. Some of the biggest melons are in California too, ..but...
    enough about the girls.

    If oranges are out of season, wait until halloween and take a photo of
    a pile of pumpkins instead. You'll need to stand further away so they
    look smaller, like oranges.

    Don't be tempted to use an orange filter because the orange from the
    oranges, and the orange from the filter add up, and two oranges make a
    pear.

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Jan 24, 2005
  11. Kim

    Kim Guest

    Thanks everyone for your valuable advice.
    I managed to get a decent enough photo to be used in a Canadian IDL
    Broadcast.
    I really appreciate that you are here and willing to share your knowledge.
    I enjoy helping other by sharing knowledge in other areas of my life and I
    look forward to being helpful in this area too one day.
    Have a great day.
    Kim

    "Kim" <> wrote in message
    : Hi I have an assignment (heh heh).
    : I need to take a picture of a pile of oranges inside a well lit grocery
    : store.
    : I am using a cannon d 30.
    : What iso speed should I use?
    : 200?
    : Should I do it with out a flash or with?
    : Please any simple hints would be much appreciated.
    :
    : Photo Kindergarten Kim
    :
    :