    But how much more will i need?
    cheers
    Dave
    Dave, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Dave

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in
    news:bnkdvv$f52$:

    > Is there anyway of acomplishing this? my first buy would probably be
    > another Action tec USB wireless adapter the same as the one on the
    > family computer. But how much more will i need?

    If I were you, I'd get a wireless router/access point (probably just an
    access point, since you don't mention having broadband or going to it any
    time soon). Wireless card in each machine, run the wireless access point
    into the "server" machine's NIC card and let that do internet connection
    sharing and stuff.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Dave

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in

    > Hello
    > I currently own 3 computers. 2 standard and 1 laptop. at the moment
    > the family computer and the laptop are networked using just a USB
    > 802.11b adapter (actiontec) in one computer and a wireless PC card in
    > the laptop. What i was wondering is if it is possible to add a third
    > computer to the network relativly cheaply. i have seen many articals
    > on home networking but they always involve broadband. Only being on a
    > 56k modem, i'm not really bothered about broadband internet access (i
    > can't get it here anyway).
    >
    > Is there anyway of acomplishing this? my first buy would probably be
    > another Action tec USB wireless adapter the same as the one on the
    > family computer. But how much more will i need?
    > cheers
    > Dave

    One could get one of the routers that has an RS232 port and connect the
    router to the dial-up and connect all machines into the router. This would
    let the router be the gateway to the Internet and all scans and attacks
    from the Internet would be stopped by the router, freeing the machines to
    do other things.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Dave

    Firebird81 Guest

    If you go wireless, steer clear of netgear. They have great reputation for
    cat5 networking, but wireless has been a rocky road for them. Linksys seems
    to shine for wireless.
    Firebird81, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Dave

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Firebird81" <> wrote in news:a52ob.525$gp3.226
    @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

    > Linksys seems
    > to shine for wireless.

    My Linksys WAP11 v2.6 is fantastic. I plugged it into my existing network,
    and then feared trouble, as it defaults to an IP address of something like
    192.168.1.x, while my network uses 192.168.0.x(mask of 255.255.255.0), so I
    assumed I'd have to set a machine up with a static address and set it up
    and stuff. No siree bob, the install software didn't care that the WAP was
    on a different subnet. Since then, it's been rock stable, no drops, no
    crap, nothing. I have not owned a single bad piece of Linksys hardware,
    from routers to switches to hubs to PCI NICs and now a WAP, so far it's all
    been good.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Dave

    Plato Guest

    Firebird81 wrote:

    > If you go wireless, steer clear of netgear. They have great reputation for
    > cat5 networking, but wireless has been a rocky road for them. Linksys seems
    > to shine for wireless.

    Linksys is good for USB NICS also. Never had a bad one. Purchased mayby
    100 or so.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 31, 2003