    1. Advertising

  2. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Alpha, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    According to Doom9, it was Macrovision who shut down Lightning!UK.
    This is not surprising, as I had suspected them as the primary with a
    vengeful Sony as a second suspect.

    http://www.doom9.org/

    Macrovision is in the process of releasing their new RipGuard feature.
    If I were a Hollywood mogul, I would probably be wondering what we are
    paying them for, and that the royalty to them might be better used to
    buy down the price of the DVD and increase demand through lower prices.
    If I were Macrovision, I would want to demonstrate that my new product
    was effective, by unleashing my legal dogs on my clever undoers. Best
    to go after the best.

    I do believe that it shall all be for naught anyway. Fengtao has a
    free ripper available that is reported to undo ARccOS. I haven't tried
    it, but it is free. Had never heard of the company until Doom9
    reported it:

    http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm

    I would be suspect of Macrovision's chances against Sima, as to my
    knowledge they have never advocated using their product for piracy.
    Macrovision should have to show inducement on the part of Sima, in
    addition to the device having no other useful purpose. It would not be
    enough to show few useful purposes, imho.

    Their color corrector does correct colors, enhance signal, etc...
    maybe not for all of their products, but some. We shall see.

    The outcome may be quite different however. Even if Sima is put out of
    business, there are plenty of models available for entrepreneurs to
    disassemble, reverse engineer, and go to market. That idea won't be
    unique. Ten new copycat Simas could arise to replace the lost one.
    Even Hercules didn't have to fight a Hydra that could rergrow its
    heads!

    Thanks for the info Alpha.

    Best...

    Mark
    Mark Burns, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Alpha

    Pat Guest

    Alpha wrote:
    > FYI
    >
    > http://money.excite.com/jsp/nw/nwdt...=704&news_id=dji-00102220050615&date=20050615

    At some point, I have to hope that these absurd lawsuits will wind up
    with the DMCA being completely revoked. The cat is already out of the
    bag for this generation of DVD anyway. Any new form of DVD copy
    protection will have to be compatible with existing DVD players, some of
    which are 7-8 years old. It will wind up being about as effective as
    the "CD copy protection" that auto-runs and installs some crappy driver
    to prevent you from ripping music that you paid for. Its easily
    defeated by disabling Auto-run in Windows or using Linux or Macintosh to
    rip it like a normal CD.
    Pat, Jun 16, 2005
  5. "Mark Burns" <> wrote in message
    > According to Doom9, it was Macrovision who shut down Lightning!UK.
    > This is not surprising, as I had suspected them as the primary with a
    > vengeful Sony as a second suspect.
    >
    > http://www.doom9.org/
    >
    > Macrovision is in the process of releasing their new RipGuard feature.
    > If I were a Hollywood mogul, I would probably be wondering what we are
    > paying them for, and that the royalty to them might be better used to
    > buy down the price of the DVD and increase demand through lower prices.
    > If I were Macrovision, I would want to demonstrate that my new product
    > was effective, by unleashing my legal dogs on my clever undoers. Best
    > to go after the best.
    >
    > I do believe that it shall all be for naught anyway. Fengtao has a
    > free ripper available that is reported to undo ARccOS. I haven't tried
    > it, but it is free. Had never heard of the company until Doom9
    > reported it:
    >
    > http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm
    >
    > I would be suspect of Macrovision's chances against Sima, as to my
    > knowledge they have never advocated using their product for piracy.
    > Macrovision should have to show inducement on the part of Sima, in
    > addition to the device having no other useful purpose. It would not be
    > enough to show few useful purposes, imho.

    Thanks very much for the link to the free ripper!

    Peter van der Goes, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Alpha

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Alpha

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    Well, they *do* own the best Congress folks that money can buy!
    Mark Burns, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Alpha

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Mark Burns" <> wrote:
    >Well, they *do* own the best Congress folks that money can buy!

    Just makes me mad that macrovision inc has their meethooks in all the
    different
    formats

    DVD
    CD
    Computer game CD's
    Satellite (TIVO etc)
    VHS

    all have some flavor of macrovision at times
    GMAN, Jun 16, 2005
  10. Alpha

    Mark Burns Guest

    Mark Burns, Jun 17, 2005