    they can do for tracking issues. the ct-200 claims to be a stabilizer. is it
    also considered a tcb?

    thanks!

    Commander, Aug 28, 2005

  2. Commander

    Steve Guest

    "Commander" <> wrote in
    news:6JlQe.91$:

    > hello all.
    >
    > i have read a little bit about this item and wanted some feedback. i
    > have a very large chunk of old vhs tapes that i want to convert to
    > dvd. many of them have some tracking issues making the pictures jitter
    > a fair amount up and down (can only do so much with the manual
    > tracking). i can usually get the picture pretty good but occasional
    > twitches still occur.
    >
    > i've read about "tcb"s and know they can repair jitter issues (not
    > sure what they can do for tracking issues. the ct-200 claims to be a
    > stabilizer. is it also considered a tcb?
    >
    > thanks!

    Hi Commander,

    I bought the Sima CT-200 about 6 months ago for the exact same reason that
    you want it. Unfortunately it's pretty useless at correcting jitter or
    tracking issues. It basically "enhances" by darkening or lightening the
    image, or converting it to true "black and white."

    It does effectively eliminate copy protection, allowing you to convert
    commercial "copy protected" VHS tapes to DVD, but that's another matter
    entirely.

    If anyone does have any information regarding anything that helps correct
    jitter or tracking problems I'd be very interested to hear about it.

    Steve.

    Steve, Aug 28, 2005

  3. Commander

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <6JlQe.91$>,
    Commander <> wrote:
    >hello all.
    >
    >i have read a little bit about this item and wanted some feedback. i have a
    >very large chunk of old vhs tapes that i want to convert to dvd. many of
    >them have some tracking issues making the pictures jitter a fair amount up
    >and down (can only do so much with the manual tracking). i can usually get
    >the picture pretty good but occasional twitches still occur.
    >
    >i've read about "tcb"s and know they can repair jitter issues (not sure what
    >they can do for tracking issues. the ct-200 claims to be a stabilizer. is it
    >also considered a tcb?

    You mean TBC, right? As in Time Base Corrector?
    The SIMA "Go DVD" will not do what you require.

    Mike S., Aug 29, 2005
  4. On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:49:09 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >In article <6JlQe.91$>,
    >Commander <> wrote:
    >>hello all.
    >>
    >>i have read a little bit about this item and wanted some feedback. i have a
    >>very large chunk of old vhs tapes that i want to convert to dvd. many of
    >>them have some tracking issues making the pictures jitter a fair amount up
    >>and down (can only do so much with the manual tracking). i can usually get
    >>the picture pretty good but occasional twitches still occur.
    >>
    >>i've read about "tcb"s and know they can repair jitter issues (not sure what
    >>they can do for tracking issues. the ct-200 claims to be a stabilizer. is it
    >>also considered a tcb?

    >You mean TBC, right? As in Time Base Corrector?
    >The SIMA "Go DVD" will not do what you require.

    And if there is bad vertcal sync due to mistracking, the cause of
    Commander's "jitter," then the TBC will not be able to do anything
    with it. The tape path alignment should be adjusted to get rid of the
    jitter first. For off-standard tapes I actually have a good old
    Toshiba on which I can adjust the tape guides as needed to optimize
    tracking, using a scope on the RF waveform.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 29, 2005
  5. Commander

    Commander Guest

    Hi! Thanks for everyone's help.

    I've learned a lot from research and from hearing responses to my questions
    :)

    I'm 100% positive that many of the tapes I made were using a VCR where the
    tracking alignment was slightly off. Nothing horrible, but enough to cause
    some problems. When I playback the tapes, the tracking is slightly off
    causing occasional jitter on the screen. I was already thinking of picking
    up an old VCR (the kind with a manual tracking knob) to see if the alignment
    on that one will allow them to play without the tracking jitter.

    :))))))

    Commander, Aug 30, 2005