Sima "Color Corrector" SCC or Sima ""Go DVD" CT-2 ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by lagniappe, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. lagniappe

    lagniappe Guest

    Both of these products appear to perform a similar function, and both
    cost about the same (about $85 @ Amazon). Which one should I buy, and
    why?

    My primary application is making working backups of commercial VHS
    tapes and DVDs that I own. I'd currently need to copy both formats to
    VHS, but I may also buy a DVD recorder so it would be nice if the Sima
    would also drive this device.

    If both units will do what I need, are there other features that may
    make the difference? The "Color Corrector" is a few bucks cheaper,
    but not enough to make a decision based on price.

    Finally, there's also a Sima SCC-2, which appears to be an upgraded
    "Color Corrector" that adds an infrared remote control. Does it add
    any other useful features for the additional $60 it costs?

    thanks,

    Martin

    lagniappe, Jun 3, 2004

  2. lagniappe wrote:

    > I'd currently need to copy both formats to
    > VHS, but I may also buy a DVD recorder so it would be nice if the Sima
    > would also drive this device.

    "color correctors" will allow you to copy pretty
    much everything to tape, but they will not allow
    you to copy things to a stand along dvd-recorder.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jun 3, 2004

  3. lagniappe

    luminos Guest

    "Darrel Christenson" <> wrote in message
    > lagniappe wrote:
    >
    > > I'd currently need to copy both formats to
    > > VHS, but I may also buy a DVD recorder so it would be nice if the Sima
    > > would also drive this device.

    > "color correctors" will allow you to copy pretty
    > much everything to tape, but they will not allow
    > you to copy things to a stand along dvd-recorder.
    >

    > drc :)

    The GoDVD device from Sima specifically permits DVD to DVD recorder work.
    Do not get any other color corrector device.

    luminos, Jun 4, 2004
  4. luminos wrote:

    > The GoDVD device from Sima specifically permits DVD to DVD recorder work.
    > Do not get any other color corrector device.

    I use this one...

    http://www.facetvideo.com/xcart/customer/home.php

    .... and it has performed flawlessly.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jun 4, 2004
  5. lagniappe

    luminos Guest

    I meant from Sima....

    They are in the same price range, but the Sima can be returned easily from
    any number of vendors.

    luminos, Jun 4, 2004
  6. lagniappe

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, (lagniappe) wrote:
    >Both of these products appear to perform a similar function, and both
    >cost about the same (about $85 @ Amazon). Which one should I buy, and
    >why?
    >
    >My primary application is making working backups of commercial VHS
    >tapes and DVDs that I own. I'd currently need to copy both formats to
    >VHS, but I may also buy a DVD recorder so it would be nice if the Sima
    >would also drive this device.
    >
    >If both units will do what I need, are there other features that may
    >make the difference? The "Color Corrector" is a few bucks cheaper,
    >but not enough to make a decision based on price.
    >
    >Finally, there's also a Sima SCC-2, which appears to be an upgraded
    >"Color Corrector" that adds an infrared remote control. Does it add
    >any other useful features for the additional $60 it costs?
    >
    >thanks,

    \\Martin

    Yes, the SCC-2 has a TBC (Time Base Corrector) , priceless if going from VHS
    to DVD. Also the video bandwidth has been opened up a bit. The old SCC had a
    sharp cutoff and in effect blasted away any benefits of using the S-Video
    ports on the unit. The SCC-2 is awesome. The CT-2 is "ok" but i'd spend the
    extra hundred and get the SCC-2.

    GMAN, Jun 6, 2004
  7. lagniappe

    GMAN Guest

    In article <2QNvc.2374$Sw.1804@attbi_s51>, wrote:
    >lagniappe wrote:
    >
    >> I'd currently need to copy both formats to
    >> VHS, but I may also buy a DVD recorder so it would be nice if the Sima
    >> would also drive this device.

    >"color correctors" will allow you to copy pretty
    >much everything to tape, but they will not allow
    >you to copy things to a stand along dvd-recorder.
    >

    >drc :)

    The SCC2 will, the TBC in it see's to that.

    GMAN, Jun 6, 2004
  8. lagniappe

    Cyclograph Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 08:07:44 GMT, (GMAN) wrote:

    >Yes, the SCC-2 has a TBC (Time Base Corrector) , priceless if going from VHS
    >to DVD. Also the video bandwidth has been opened up a bit. The old SCC had a
    >sharp cutoff and in effect blasted away any benefits of using the S-Video
    >ports on the unit. The SCC-2 is awesome. The CT-2 is "ok" but i'd spend the
    >extra hundred and get the SCC-2.

    Does anyone know if the SCC-2 can also do standards conversion? The
    Sima site lists it as compatible with NTSC/PAL/SECAM, but not whether
    this is just pass-through or also permits conversion (no docs posted
    in their support area).
    -KD

    --
    To reply via email: this ID @<a well known service related to yodeling>.com