    if it gets lost.

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Nov 6, 2006

  2. The Other Guy

    Vista Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    news:eimecm$5h0$...
    > Does anyone have any experience with SIM card copiers, and the use of
    > multiple numbers at the same time on one phone?
    >
    > I'm primarily interested in creating a backup SIM card so I can use the
    > same mobile number with two different phones. One for my daily activities,
    > and the other for when I'm doing outdoor work.
    >
    > Almost lost my Nokia 6230 a couple of weeks ago, which would have been a
    > great loss, so I'd like to get a cheap phone that doesn't matter so much
    > if it gets lost.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Vodafone gave a whole lot away to their customers for free last year just
    before christmas, and they seem to work fine. They also store the numbers in
    the copier themselves
    Vista, Nov 6, 2006

  3. The Other Guy

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:31:39 +1300, "Vista" <> wrote:

    >"The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone have any experience with SIM card copiers, and the use of
    >> multiple numbers at the same time on one phone?
    >>
    >> I'm primarily interested in creating a backup SIM card so I can use the
    >> same mobile number with two different phones. One for my daily activities,
    >> and the other for when I'm doing outdoor work.
    >>
    >> Almost lost my Nokia 6230 a couple of weeks ago, which would have been a
    >> great loss, so I'd like to get a cheap phone that doesn't matter so much
    >> if it gets lost.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    >Vodafone gave a whole lot away to their customers for free last year just
    >before christmas, and they seem to work fine. They also store the numbers in
    >the copier themselves

    They wouldn't allow you to write your same phone number to a new sim card
    though, they just back up your data (address book & maybe sms messages) off the
    card.

    You could probably go to vodafone and ask them for a new card with the same
    number, but I doubt they would let you.
    Craig Shore, Nov 6, 2006
  4. T'was the Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:47:24 +1300 when I remembered Craig
    Shore <> saying something like this:

    >You could probably go to vodafone and ask them for a new card with the same
    >number, but I doubt they would let you.

    You can purchase a blank sim card for around $30 and copy all your
    details onto that. Then when you lose your original, you can just ring
    Vodafone and get them to associate that new sim card with your phone
    number.

    If you do do this, make sure the sales rep doesn't transfer your
    number onto the new card, because then your old one is useless, and
    you just spent $30 for not that much fun.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 6, 2006
  5. The Other Guy

    Vista Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:31:39 +1300, "Vista" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone have any experience with SIM card copiers, and the use of
    >>> multiple numbers at the same time on one phone?
    >>>
    >>> I'm primarily interested in creating a backup SIM card so I can use the
    >>> same mobile number with two different phones. One for my daily
    >>> activities,
    >>> and the other for when I'm doing outdoor work.
    >>>
    >>> Almost lost my Nokia 6230 a couple of weeks ago, which would have been a
    >>> great loss, so I'd like to get a cheap phone that doesn't matter so much
    >>> if it gets lost.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> The Other Guy

    >>Vodafone gave a whole lot away to their customers for free last year just
    >>before christmas, and they seem to work fine. They also store the numbers
    >>in
    >>the copier themselves

    > They wouldn't allow you to write your same phone number to a new sim card
    > though, they just back up your data (address book & maybe sms messages)
    > off the
    > card.
    >
    > You could probably go to vodafone and ask them for a new card with the
    > same
    > number, but I doubt they would let you.

    Mine did. I copied the data from one prepay card to a new one.
    Vista, Nov 7, 2006
  6. The Other Guy

    Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > Does anyone have any experience with SIM card copiers, and the use of
    > multiple numbers at the same time on one phone?
    >
    > I'm primarily interested in creating a backup SIM card so I can use the
    > same mobile number with two different phones. One for my daily
    > activities, and the other for when I'm doing outdoor work.
    >
    > Almost lost my Nokia 6230 a couple of weeks ago, which would have been a
    > great loss, so I'd like to get a cheap phone that doesn't matter so much
    > if it gets lost.

    You'd have to follow the other suggestions. Get another SIMand store
    the info on it as a backup. Alternatively, with a new phone you should
    be able to transfer most of the info to your computer fairly easily.
    There are also SIM card readers.

    However it is rather unlikely you'd be able to clone a SIM so you can
    use the same number in 2 different phones. This is an extremely
    difficult practice, on purpose. Look at SIM cloning on wiki and you
    might get an idea of why...

    Your only real hope would be to convince Vodafone to offer you this
    service
    , Nov 7, 2006
  7. wrote:
    > However it is rather unlikely you'd be able to clone a SIM so you can
    > use the same number in 2 different phones. This is an extremely
    > difficult practice, on purpose. Look at SIM cloning on wiki and you
    > might get an idea of why...

    Thanks to all who responded. I'll try Vodafone and see what they have to
    say.

    There are writers that can clone SIM cards (at least v1), which works
    provided you don't use both phones at the same time. I'm not certain if
    these work with the Vodafone SIM cards, nor do I know where to buy a SIM
    card for the purpose.

    In my case I want to be able to regularly and easily switch phones, and
    SIM cards aren't quite as simple to swap as they could be. On the Nokia
    6230 for example, you need to remove the back cover, which itself can be
    tricky, then the battery, just to get access to it, then put it all back
    together and reset the time. I don't want to be doing that all the time :)

    Thanks,

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Nov 7, 2006